Bruce's first 'Schnauzer eyebrows'

Our Schnauzers do need to be groomed regularly and they truly are transformed after a visit to the groomer. Share your before & after Schnauzer grooming photos here.
IrmaMac
First Name: Irma
Dog #1: Bruce
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2015

Bruce's first 'Schnauzer eyebrows'

Post by IrmaMac »

Bruce has been for a couple of 'puppy grooms' at the local Groom Room, to get him used to being handled etc. He went again yesterday, mainly because his face was so hairy I wasn't sure he could still see!! The groomer said he won't be ready to be stripped until he's about a year old but gave him a tidy up round his feet and his face. He now has eyebrows.

However, he came back very subdued - not like him - and has a rather odd scissored section on his face which looks like it's been cut by mistake. Anyway, having read almost all the posts on stripping/clipping/rolling/carding and grooming in general, I've ordered some stripping knives and intend to just do it myself from now on. I used to clip our Standard Schnauzer quite happily years ago, so not sure why I'm so worried about tackling Bruce.

Oh, for info he's 29 weeks now. Tried to add some photos but the gallery button doesn't seem to be working for me just now. Will try again later.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Bruce's first 'Schnauzer eyebrows'

Post by Robin black mini »

I'd definitely ignore this groomers advice to leave your dog till a year to strip...
i started carding out the undercoat at ten weeks ,pulling long hairs at twelve weeks,and my little black girl started to show her wire by four months..there are a few" how do I get started stripping? " posts...it's really easy to do And should be relaxing for both the dog and yourself.
I use groomers supplies to buy the stripping knives ,grooming stone and as you progress a pair of thinning scissors and a clipper for the ears,and sanitary areas..you will get a lot of help if you want in starting stripping.My best advice is start now...don't leave it till a year or your dog won't want to be handled. There are also some good videos on u tube showing how to strip,which show you the action you need to grab the hairs and keep the skin pulled taut etc..Kate Werk videos are good. Google. https://www.google.it/search?q=kate+wer ... +schnauzer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

http://deeenay.com/wp-content/uploads/G ... BASICS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to page nine...lots of really good grooming links,including Kate werk.
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014
is a: B/S Mini Dog

Post by lj_thorne »

Brilliant advice above... I think your groomer is thinking like a terrier strip, this happened to us with Barnaby which is why he's now clipped as we couldn't find anyone to strip him! Schnauzers are different. Shermans breeder started carding Shernan before he came to us at 12 weeks.

At his age you need to card lots... Lots of lovely fluffy hair should come out then the harsher hairs should start to appear. If you groomed your standard before you'll be more than fine!!!!

Good luck!!! :D
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/