Dog Food Logic - book recommendation

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Dog Food Logic - book recommendation

Post by BeeBee »

I've just read a new book that I'd recommend to anyone interested in feeding their dogs. It's not a book on what to feed, it won't tell you that, it aims to help readers understand the dog food industry from a scientific and evidence-based point of view. Dog Food Logic - by Linda Case
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Food-Logic- ... roduct_top

It is the best book I've read on the subject. It covers areas that are not readily available in other books and sources, at least if they are, they're not discussed with much intelligence or critical evaluation of evidence. This is what I really like about this book, it presents evidence, but shows how to use that, how to be a critical consumer. This is sorely missing in a lot of the information we are bombarded with these days. There are a lot of good memorable facts. Her stance on the cost of feeding dogs resonates with my own thinking: if we believe our dogs deserve foods that are produced from high quality ingredients, that are wholesome, safe and well regulated then we need to be prepared to pay more for that food.

Although there is a strong US bias so some of it may not be directly relevant for UK readers (labelling regulations etc for example) there is such a broad range of information that is applicable to anyone wherever they are located who is interested in the minefield that is dog food that I've no hesitation recommending it. As a free-styling raw feeder, I was most curious to see the stance taken on what is a polarising and contentious topic, we see that here on the forum often enough. I was pleasantly surprised to see the information presented was clear, the evidence, or lack of for health benefits of this way of feeding is critically presented, and no unjustified or inflammatory criticisms are thrown around. She is critical of a lot of what is said about it by its advocates, as well as its critics and I believe she's justified and I admit I may at times be guilty of chucking around generalisations. Her view is that raw feeding can be healthy, if done correctly. Always been my point precisely. Just as some commercial dog food is perfectly healthy too. Again, something I don't disagree with. But this is often missed by some who opt not to feed commercial food. People assume I don't like any commercial dog food products. Not true. I don't like a lot of them and would only buy the best quality and pay for that if I chose not to feed the way we do. Claims that all commercial food is poor, or causes health problems is not something I ever say or believe; but just as all commercial dog food is thrown into the slops in the minds of a lot of proponents of raw feeding, so raw feeding is regarded as whacky quackery by many on the other side of the feeding debate. It's a polarising topic and this book tackles it well.

The book takes a scientific perspective on canine nutrition, dog-human interactions, which made this really valuable to me on a personal level, and I learned loads from reading it. The claims that are made by pet food manufacturers are put under the microscope and seen to be unsurprisingly to me, very shaky indeed. The marketers behind the pet food industry also get a roasting. Again, unsurprisingly. So do those who espouse the massive health benefits of raw feeding. And rightly so in my view. Claims are too overblown by many and the rhetoric that inflames a lot of the discussions on how we feed our dogs does no-one any good, least alone the dogs. The book is balanced, not in the least sensationalist and it doesn't try to convert to one way of feeding over another. It aims to help consumers critically look at what they are choosing to feed their dogs. That has to be a good approach.

All in all, a lot of what I read confirmed what I knew already, there was lots I didn't know too and some challenged what I thought I knew; all of it made me think more deeply about what the pet food industry is all about.

It is a great read, lots of science in fully readable language. And I shall still be happily feeding raw.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Re: Dog Food Logic - book recommendation

Post by Eddie »

This website might complement that book as it rates the quality and content of each brand of dog food. It is quite interesting to see some of the results for example with Bakers it looks like you would be better off feeding them the packaging.
We've been feeding the gang Honey's for a couple of months now so I was pleased to see that the "raw" brands rated very highly.
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Flintish
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Flint
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2014

Post by Flintish »

Thank-you for the review and recommendation. I definitely think the market needs a book like this to give a balanced view, so I have added it to my wish list :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Flintish wrote:Thank-you for the review and recommendation. I definitely think the market needs a book like this to give a balanced view, so I have added it to my wish list :)
You're welcome :)
It's a very balanced book in my opinion, those who feel badgered by the evangelists on either side of the kibble/raw debate will all find worth in it as she takes an objective, critical look at the evidence. I of course like that she states many salmonella poisoning cases have occurred in processed foods....as this is often thrown as a criticism of raw feeding hazards...but equally, she says there are no proven health claims for raw feeding....balanced.
She takes to task the nonsense (as I see it) of breed specific foods, eg kibble for mini schnauzers, as compared with kibble for cocker spaniels. She does it very well. Where she says there is a role for different foods and breeds is in large breed versus small breed. But that's it. Everything else is marketing guff. There are loads of good pieces of information that really stuck in my head. But I won't spoil it any more for those who are thinking of buying it.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/