gastritis and/or irritable bowel problems

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Sanja
First Name: Sanja

gastritis and/or irritable bowel problems

Post by Sanja »

My 10 months old Black mini has been diagnosed with gastritis when he was 2 months old, it was a reaction to vaccination.
The vet recommended Fish for Dogs (white fish, beans, and potato) and he was fine for several months (except for reaction on each vaccination).
When he was around 7 months old he started to poop 4-6 times in each walk (usually 2-3 times per day). We were told that he was marking territory this way. Rare, but seen before.
He got sick again after some inappropriate treats about 2months ago.
Since then I tried:
- Hills i/d food - that stopped excessive pooping but he sneezes and tries to clean his muzzle with pows after each meal. It seams he is allergic to chicken.
- Acana beef - everything seemed nice, but kibble is big and I found he didn't digest it properly, some get out untouched. I was told it is because this type of food is for bigger breeds.
- Acana lamb - pooping was OK, but he doesn't feel well after lamb and he snoozed and acted like when he was given chicken (although lamb should be for dogs with stomach problem)
- Fish again (mix of 6 kinds of fish) - good for stomach, excessive pooping was back (so it seems fish somehow provoke this).
- Purina for intestinal health - should be beef with some poultry proteins, but he's acting like when eating chicken (and lamb) so I think there are much more poultry proteins that I realized.

I'm hopeless. Does anyone had or have such a problem? Does anyone have any suggestion, except for the raw food? I tried to give him some cooked rice, he throw it up. I would try with cooked chicken, but have fear that he would trow up again, he never eat "human" foood before. I'll apreciate any sugestions.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: gastritis and/or irritable bowel problems

Post by Dawnspell »

Not had this problem poor boy.

Have you tried Naturediet wet food? They do a sensitive one which is fish and rice and a grain free version. When I've fed it he's had good easy pick up poos.
https://www.naturediet.co.uk/standard-s ... -twin-pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do cook rice for him it must be cooked until its a really sloppy mush almost porridge like, otherwise it can cause digestion problems. I prefer to give cooked sweet potato for a carbohydrate filler.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

Personally i would be asking the vet to do an allergy test to rule out what he is allergic too. It seems in 8 months, hes been on 1 food for 5 months and then you have tried 6 different types of food including the cooked rice in the last 3 months. changing foods too often can cause issues in itself.

Ideally you need to find a good single protein food. Although he was pooping more with the fish, he was having Fish 4 dogs for 5 months with no other reaction. I would personally look to stick to fish, but try a different brand.

My dogs are raw fed but if i were forced to change their diets i would be looking at these.
https://www.simpsonspremium.com/dogs/ad ... mon-potato
http://www.gentledogfood.co.uk/gentle-fish.php

Ideally after a allergy test you could look at something like pork
http://burnspet.co.uk/pork-potato-food-for-dogs.html

Or speak with someone from https://tails.com/. On the website you can specify what your dog can or cant have and the food will be tailored just for him.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I agree with the above post that it is not a good idea to keep changing foods especially for a dog that has a sensitive digestion. Fish is probably a better option and maybe try a food that has fewer additional ingredients. Many of the kibble foods and some raw "complete" foods for dogs include a large number of ingredients that may be beneficial in theory but can provoke a reaction in a dog with sensitive digestion. Turmeric, coconut oil, egg, various herbs etc are all possible triggers for digestive issues.

Although it may be rare, some dogs can try to poo multiple times on a walk to mark / leave a message and it can mean that their poo becomes progressively less solid /pleasant but is not necessarily a sign of a food intolerance.

Vaccination can trigger allergic responses in some dogs due to the fact that they contain substances in addition to the virus/bacteria which include foreign proteins from cows and/or chickens whose tissue cells are used to culture the virus for use in vaccines.

The Merck Veterinary Manual (by the pharmaceutical company Merck Sharp Dohme who manufacture vaccines and other drugs) warn that:

"The more common risks associated with vaccines include residual virulence and toxicity, which may cause injection-site reactions, depression, allergic responses, disease in immunodeficient hosts (modified-live vaccines), neurologic complications, and rarely, contamination with other live agents.......In addition to potential toxicity, vaccines, like any antigen, may provoke hypersensitivity. For example, rapid allergic reactions (type I hypersensitivity) may occur in response to any of the antigens found in vaccines, including those from eggs or tissue-culture cells. "

If your puppy has had a significant reaction to vaccination you will also want to be very careful with any future vaccines that are offered.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Probiotics before a meal will help the intestine to replenish the good bacteria..
We recommend enterogermina.

Ask your vet to do an Elisa test( blood test) to see what food groups your dog is either sensitive or allergic ,to. This cost us 150 euro..this will help you to avoid stress food groups.
( there are two Elisa tests..one is nutritional..you want this one...the other environmental..you DONT want this one)

Don't keep switching foods....try forza 10..a fish based kibble..has good success

Ask your vet about the principles of " an elimination diet"...,the idea is to feed the dog one protein...if it causes a reaction you eliminate it and try another..you will end up with a protein your dog can tolerate.
However,if you do the Elisa test as well as an elimination diet,it will also tell you what other items your dog cannot tolerate..my girl was allergic to beetroot and potato..the beetroot is a filler in many big name foods eg eukanuba...the potato is often a base carbohydrate in many foods labeled for " sensitive dogs" ...so you have to do some homework here...trial and error.

If all continues...consider an intestinal and gastric biopsy...we opted for this when my poodle ,IBD ,girl was spayed and under anaesthetic...her problem was revealed to be caused by a bacterial infection ( proteus) which had attacked and damaged her intestinal villi..
Plus,and this is very relevant to your case...my dog was found to have helicobacter in her stomach lining...like secret hidden colonies of very harmful bacteria...which only a stomach biopsy could pinpoint and diagnose..once diagnosed the specific antibiotic was prescribed and she really made huge progress.( no more gastritis and bleeding from the stomach).

We also used to give ranitidine before feeds..it is also called Zantac...it's"coats and calms " the stomach lining..
My dog was also given medrol in very low doses to assist her depleted immune system.( lifetime)

Test the dogs faeces for chlostridium..e coli etc...these often overgrow in a poorly adapted intestine..the overgrowth is referred to as SIBO..( Google sibo..sudden intestinal bacterial overgrowth)....probiotics two or three times a week will help get the good bacteria back in action in the gut.

Most of all don't lose hope..if your vet isn't getting to the root of the problem,ask to see a vet who specializes in nutrition and intestinal issues.( gastroenterologist)
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Max had this pretty bad but one day the youngest vet in the practice gave me a 1kg bag of Royal Canin Veterinary Gastro Intestinal food.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was actually a bit annoyed that after 3-4 years of trouble and various medications etc none of the more experienced vets had even suggested it.

From that day onwards Max's life changed for the better.
Lizzie
First Name: Lizzie
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0-10-2016

Post by Lizzie »

Our mini dog Monty ,who is now 11 months,has had a problem with gastritis since he was 5 months old resulting in several visits to the vets. He too seems to be allergic to chicken. He is now on a combination of Burns pork and potato sensitive and chappie (Chappie recommended by the vet). He has been much better, has regained the weight he lost when ill and is generally happier and more lively.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Lizzie wrote:Our mini dog Monty ,who is now 11 months,has had a problem with gastritis since he was 5 months old resulting in several visits to the vets. He too seems to be allergic to chicken. He is now on a combination of Burns pork and potato sensitive and chappie (Chappie recommended by the vet). He has been much better, has regained the weight he lost when ill and is generally happier and more lively.
I agree.. :x
Chappie,tinned,was once dismissed as a "cheap dog food".but it has really redeemed itself on many IBD dog sites because it is really well tolerated by intestinal sensitive dogs..
I also recommend boiled rabbit..it has served us well with my last IBD dog.