Opinion on Dog Feeding Plan

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
rigga
Puppy
First Name: Martin
Dog #1: Casper
is a: White Mini Dog

Re: Opinion on Dog Feeding Plan

Post by rigga »

Baby wipes for cleaning, although he thinks its more food and trys to eat them, and a chunk of carrot to chew and clean his teeth after his food.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

A complete raw that I've heard mentioned on US forums is Natures Variety is scores 5 stars on the dogfood advisor website.

I use baby wipes too for any general beard cleaning.

If you're brushing teeth it's recommended to not clean within 30 mins of giving or having food. Some pastes are designed to just work in the mouth if your dog won't let you brush so it works better the longer it stays in the mouth. Eating and brushing of course removes it from the teeth.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
AliceGrimm
First Name: Alicia
Dog #1: Dolce
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Jun 2017

Post by AliceGrimm »

rigga wrote:Baby wipes for cleaning, although he thinks its more food and trys to eat them, and a chunk of carrot to chew and clean his teeth after his food.
Thank you! That sounds like a good idea. Do you use the baby wipes made for dogs or just in general any sort of wipes for babies? I suppose if it is made for babies it should be safe for dogs. The carrot is a wonderful idea. Thank you!!!
Dawnspell wrote:A complete raw that I've heard mentioned on US forums is Natures Variety is scores 5 stars on the dogfood advisor website.

I use baby wipes too for any general beard cleaning.

If you're brushing teeth it's recommended to not clean within 30 mins of giving or having food. Some pastes are designed to just work in the mouth if your dog won't let you brush so it works better the longer it stays in the mouth. Eating and brushing of course removes it from the teeth.
Hmm.. I did do some checking up on that. And it has been recalled a couple times for salmonella. But I suppose a recall could happen with any mass produced food. Do you ever try to raw feed buying and trying to balance a meal plan yourself, or is that more work than it is worth to make sure that you have the right amount of nutrition and not making too fatty of a meal?

That is wonderful! I will have to be sure to get some baby wipes then. I was very curious how schnauzer owners kept the beards looking so amazing and clean!

That makes sense. Thank you! I will definitely be sure to read what sort of paste and wait so that the enzyme have more of an opportunity to work.

Thank you both so much!! I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you both! I am still looking into pre-made raw food. But I am liking the looks of the Orijen brand, I am so happy for that suggestion. At least there is one that seems pretty decent. But I feel I have so much more to learn!
rigga
Puppy
First Name: Martin
Dog #1: Casper

Post by rigga »

Normal baby wipes work well.
Haven't thought about making our own raw meals, bit too much of a faff for my liking, far easier to buy pre prepared tubs with everything that the dog needs already included, we do find it a bit messy as its obviously very mushy in consistency, and the beard at times comes out covered, but recently we read about a method someone else tried, that actuakky works.
Instead of placing the required amount of raw food into a bowl, we now scoop out small spoon sized portions, and dot them around a plate, casper then seems to hoover each lump up without the need to scrape his face around a bowl to try and get every last bit out, and he surfaces a hell of a lot cleaner .
AliceGrimm
First Name: Alicia
Dog #1: Dolce
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Jun 2017

Post by AliceGrimm »

rigga wrote:Normal baby wipes work well.
Haven't thought about making our own raw meals, bit too much of a faff for my liking, far easier to buy pre prepared tubs with everything that the dog needs already included, we do find it a bit messy as its obviously very mushy in consistency, and the beard at times comes out covered, but recently we read about a method someone else tried, that actuakky works.
Instead of placing the required amount of raw food into a bowl, we now scoop out small spoon sized portions, and dot them around a plate, casper then seems to hoover each lump up without the need to scrape his face around a bowl to try and get every last bit out, and he surfaces a hell of a lot cleaner .
That is wonderful advice. I can see how that would be much cleaner and better. Thank you so much!!! I will have to try that if I do get premade raw meals. Yeah.. I am a bit worried about self making raw food or food because the need to find that correct balance.

Thank you so much!!!
doughboy
Puppy
First Name: Dough

Post by doughboy »

We've had Hugo on Origen Puppy for the past few months. What we've found is that he's the fussier eater in the world (I'm sure other owners will step forward for that title for their dogs too) and struggle to get him to eat the kibble. We ended up having to turn dinner time into play time in order for him to want to eat it. Anyway, last week we decided to go full on BARF/RAW. I've bought a 2kg bag of minced chicken/tripe mix (very smelly) and then added 500g (sticking to a 80/20 ratio) of various veg/apples and coconut oil. And he absolutely loves it, cleans his bowl in minutes. His stools are a bit looser but we've not noticed any other changes in his patterns so assume that he's taken well to the change.

Going forwards, I'll introduce other meats and offal, fish etc and stick to the 80/20 ratio. I'll also look to start incorporating things like kelp, mussels, seeds etc so that he gets as wide ranging and balanced diet as possible. Mix a batch up, bag up the amount of food per meal into freezer bags and into the deep chest they go. Not difficult to achieve, just takes a bit of forward planning and remembering to take meals out of the freezer so that they can defrost in time!