Fussy fellow

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Peggy
Puppy
First Name: Hazel

Fussy fellow

Post by Peggy »

:) hello I'm a new member, and have a 14 month old miniature - Stanley.
He's been a very good eater up until about a month ago and has suddenly turned his nose up at his dinners B-)
he's been on fish4dogs since he was a puppy, but went off it just after I started to give him the adult food. I've tried all sorts, adding water, little bits of chicken, sprinkles of cheese all sorts but he's very inconsistent.
Anyone else had similar problems?
I've had advice to switch to another food (I've been thinking of Gentle) or just persevering with his fish4dogs so he won't learn to be a fussy eater
:-B
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Fussy fellow

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :-)

It could be worth having him checked out at the vet to make sure there are no dental / health reasons why Stanley has gone off his food.

Dogs can have preferences as to the kind of food that they eat just like people so it could be that Stanley is just not wanting fish dinners for now. The hardline approach would be to just keep giving the food and when he is hungry enough he will eat. Personally, within reason, I would try an alternative food to see if he prefers a change. We feed our dogs raw "complete " meals and do give them a variety of chicken, tripe, beef and occasionally venison. They would not have the same meal every day. I wouldn't want to only have the same food twice a day, every day and I think the dogs enjoy the variety and it gives them a range of nutrients. They do have a preference for red meat (beef / lamb / venison) but will eat chicken with tripe / chicken with liver / chicken & beef and I have never known our schnauzers turn up their noses at any of the meals.

I have no experience with Gentle but I think some other Forum members do feed this to their dogs and may be able to advise on this.

Good luck and hope you can find some food that Stanley will enjoy :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Peggy
Puppy
First Name: Hazel

Re: Fussy fellow

Post by Peggy »

Thank you Zeta and sorry for the (very!) late reply :) . I've been off the forum for a while!
I switched Stanley to Gentle and he seems to really enjoy it.
I also give him different fish dinners now and again for variety and he wolfs it all down.
It may be that he was just off all his food and he's now back to having a good appetite!
:-bd