Royal Canine Miniature Schnauzer Food

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
snazy

Post by snazy »

What are the symptoms of his sensative tummy?

How often and when is hed fed?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Chicken is used for its ease of digestion and is i find the main meat used in sensetive type foods but if we give Jasper anything with even a hint of chicken in it he becomes unwell and old symptoms as stated earlier come back we stick him to lamb duck fish and he can take small amounts of beef but only if it is the real thing or in the form of a very good dog food, so it can be trial and error finding what suits your dog, just for interest Jasper was on Royal canin as a pup recommended for his sesetivities but had to come off of it as he was not digesting it properly sensetive soul he is but now hes great :D good luck keep us posted
susie

Post by susie »

Thanks Liz for the info on RC Mini Schnauzer food, it seems as if it has been made more for skin and coat than tummies. He likes it though and is definately less flatuelent than when he was on JWB

Snazy - he is sick early morning about every 8 - 10 days just foamy liquid. Then his tummy gurgles for a few hours and he doesn't eat. His poo is always normal and he is still full of energy. He is fed at 8.00am and 5.00pm.

I was all set to change him to Burns until the vet suggested the RC for minis. He is taking the pro biotic paste now for 5 days. He actually likes it and opens his mouth for me to squirt it in, bless him.
snazy

Post by snazy »

Have you tried giving him some supper? or some charcoal biscuits last thing at night?

For some dogs going a long time between meals can cause this type of tummy problem.
susie

Post by susie »

Thanks Jo

Others have mentioned that an empty stomach overnight can cause this so we have just strated to give him some biscuit before bed.

He looks a little confused but he eats them so we will see how we go.

He's not going to be happy when the probiotic paste is finished as, despite the vet saying it is difficult to give, he loves it and sits waiting for it.
snazy

Post by snazy »

Isn't it meat flavoured though? So they should like it :wink:
snazy

Post by snazy »

BTW, i have been looking into the ingredients of this food

1. it contains gluten (wheat) which is well known in causing digestive and skin upsets

2. oligosaccharides are sugers - which dogs don't need in the diet and this can cause wind!! (funny they remove the sugar from the beet pulp!!)
susie

Post by susie »

snazy wrote:BTW, i have been looking into the ingredients of this food

1. it contains gluten (wheat) which is well known in causing digestive and skin upsets

2. oligosaccharides are sugers - which dogs don't need in the diet and this can cause wind!! (funny they remove the sugar from the beet pulp!!)
So, do you think I should try Burns or something else or leave him on this and see what happens. I don't want to make too many changes so that we can't monitor what is causing it but obviously want to do the best for him. Thanks for your help
snazy

Post by snazy »

I would try the simple fix first and try the late night snack option, then work out if it is the food or thelate feeding that helped :wink:
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

We have decided to change Eddie over to Royal Canin Schnauzer food. He is 10 months now and has been on Royal Canin Medium Junior all the time but he doesn't really enjoy it. If we add a raw egg or rice or even selected left overs it disappears immediately, otherwise it can remain untouched until the next meal time (I know. It should be removed after 10 minutes). His weight is fine at about 10.5kg's and he doesn't have any sensitivities but we just thought it would be nice to give him something he enjoys.
Earlier posts have indicated that it is only available from the vet. but this may have changed. We went into our local pet shop this morning where we usually buy his food as they are Royal Canin stockists and we noticed that they had RC for boxers on the shelf. We asked about RC for Schnauzers and they said they would order it in. I know that doesn't mean we will get it but as they are stockists they should know what they can order. Anyway it's due on Thursday so I guess we will know then.