These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Re: These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by Eddie »

I'm not sure I'd bother. Mouse has ears that stick straight up but that's the way she is.
I don't know how the tape works but I've heard you can glue a penny to them to weigh them down.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Me and Dannie discussed that - pound coins! I might use a penny but I think I'll probably just tape a little tube around the tip so the weight of that keeps them down.

I like Mouse's ears! I wouldn't bother with Maisy's but it's conformation and after seeing Freya's little envelopes, I'm rather biased. ;)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

im sure her ear luggys will grow in nicely she looks like she has a funky hairband on [dog5]
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as there is some discussion in the rehoming section about it!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

God this was ages ago, I had no clue how to tape and ear then, LOL! Just for reference, those pictures are NOT how you tape an ear.
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

HAHA. I'm guessing you hadn't came across the Britmor website at this point in time!
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Tom don't look LOL! I was inexperienced, I saw it on another site and figured it worked the same!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Hysterical Beth!
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

Besides looking impossibly cute, it it just me or does Maisy look like she's about to go play tennis wth her little tape accessory???
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Hahaha she was a very athletic puppy, she was always hitting the courts, yes. =)) =))
AliceGrimm
First Name: Alicia
Dog #1: Dolce
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Jun 2017

Post by AliceGrimm »

Caramomo wrote:Mitch - its for showing, the ears need to be folded over and taping/gluing is one way of allowing the ears to develop and grow in such a manner that the tendons and muscles allow the ear to fall how it is supposed to. If the ear is a smidge small then it has a tendancy to lift and make your schnauzer look like a fruit bat - not ideal for the showring. It doesn't hurt the dog and has no affect on them - just makes them look like schnauzers. I suppose you could think of it as slightly extreme grooming.
Isn't it the muzzle and beard and the sturdyness and the personality that makes them a Schnauzer?
Do people only do this for showing where cropping isn't allowed or for shows in general?

I mean it sounds odd to put chemicals and glue or tape on a dog with known sensitive skin.. I would worry in humid climates or just in general about wax build up, or mites or other things... I dunno.. it just seems worrisome to me and I guess I don't understand what is wrong with their ears.. and why not breed just floppy ear dogs?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by zeta1454 »

AliceGrimm wrote:
Caramomo wrote:Mitch - its for showing, the ears need to be folded over and taping/gluing is one way of allowing the ears to develop and grow in such a manner that the tendons and muscles allow the ear to fall how it is supposed to. If the ear is a smidge small then it has a tendancy to lift and make your schnauzer look like a fruit bat - not ideal for the showring. It doesn't hurt the dog and has no affect on them - just makes them look like schnauzers. I suppose you could think of it as slightly extreme grooming.
Isn't it the muzzle and beard and the sturdyness and the personality that makes them a Schnauzer?
Do people only do this for showing where cropping isn't allowed or for shows in general?

I mean it sounds odd to put chemicals and glue or tape on a dog with known sensitive skin.. I would worry in humid climates or just in general about wax build up, or mites or other things... I dunno.. it just seems worrisome to me and I guess I don't understand what is wrong with their ears.. and why not breed just floppy ear dogs?
In the U.K and Europe schnauzer ears are not cropped nor tails docked but this has nothing to do with whether someone decides to encourage the natural drop ears of schnauzers to stay down for the show ring. Ultimately it will not be possible to change the ear set if the dog does not naturally have ears that should fall into the correct position. However, with some young puppies teething can cause them to hold their ears oddly and some breeders/ owners try to encourage the ears to remain in their natural set by adding some weight to the ear. This can be by allowing the hair to grow thicker on the ears for a while or by adding weight to them. The practice is like that of parents who get their children to wear braces on their teeth to get them to stay straighter.

If this is done, it is only for a short period of time when the puppy is young, and I am sure that no responsible owner will put anything on a dog's ear or any other part of them if they know that it could cause skin irritation or worse as that is hardly going to enhance their prospects in the show ring. I agree with you about not putting harsh chemicals on dogs skin wholeheartedly which is why we do not use any spot on flea treatments and the like.

The use of "glue" I have only seen once - it was done by applying a tiny amount of Copydex to the hairs at the tip of the puppy's ear and attaching to the hairs on the head in the place the ear should fall forward to. Copydex is relatively non-toxic unless for someone with a latex allergy. The whole ear flap is not glued to the side of the head and there is always a gap for air to circulate. The relative ease with which this can be detached means there is no problem with ear cleaning when needed.

The natural ear set for schnauzers of all three sizes is a "drop" (or "floppy ) ear but cross breeding in the past especially where the miniature schnauzer is concerned may mean that in some dogs their ears stand upright or anything in between prick eared and drop eared. In essence it really does not matter what the ears do of course and dogs are loved whatever but, for the tiny minority of people who choose to exhibit their dogs, they may try to encourage a puppy's ears to maintain its natural fall for the few months they are settling in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

zeta1454 wrote:In the U.K and Europe schnauzer ears are not cropped nor tails docked but this has nothing to do with whether someone decides to encourage the natural drop ears of schnauzers to stay down for the show ring. Ultimately it will not be possible to change the ear set if the dog does not naturally have ears that should fall into the correct position. However, with some young puppies teething can cause them to hold their ears oddly and some breeders/ owners try to encourage the ears to remain in their natural set by adding some weight to the ear. This can be by allowing the hair to grow thicker on the ears for a while or by adding weight to them. The practice is like that of parents who get their children to wear braces on their teeth to get them to stay straighter.

If this is done, it is only for a short period of time when the puppy is young, and I am sure that no responsible owner will put anything on a dog's ear or any other part of them if they know that it could cause skin irritation or worse as that is hardly going to enhance their prospects in the show ring. I agree with you about not putting harsh chemicals on dogs skin wholeheartedly which is why we do not use any spot on flea treatments and the like.

The use of "glue" I have only seen once - it was done by applying a tiny amount of Copydex to the hairs at the tip of the puppy's ear and attaching to the hairs on the head in the place the ear should fall forward to. Copydex is relatively non-toxic unless for someone with a latex allergy. The whole ear flap is not glued to the side of the head and there is always a gap for air to circulate. The relative ease with which this can be detached means there is no problem with ear cleaning when needed.

The natural ear set for schnauzers of all three sizes is a "drop" (or "floppy ) ear but cross breeding in the past especially where the miniature schnauzer is concerned may mean that in some dogs their ears stand upright or anything in between prick eared and drop eared. In essence it really does not matter what the ears do of course and dogs are loved whatever but, for the tiny minority of people who choose to exhibit their dogs, they may try to encourage a puppy's ears to maintain its natural fall for the few months they are settling in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really appreciate the time you took to explain. You went above and beyond for the reasons why and the how. I am still prepping for getting my own pup, and have been watching any videos I can about Miniature Schnauzers and that is when I came across the gluing. I think I would have to watch it again, but I do think she used a non-toxic one, however, it still looked like the glue I would use for crafts (wood projects or scrap booking).

Is the glue you mentioned sorta like Girly Glue? This one I had to look up a while back. But apparently a mother who had a baby with no hair, and wanted to put a bow or a flower on her for a photo. So she created a natural glue for this. And I have heard of people doing the same for dogs. Not sure I agree with it either, but it is the equivalent of sticking honey on your baby/dog.

I am not sure I agree with your point... but I sorta get what you mean. Sometimes teeth straightening is for health. If kids have over crowding in their mouth, it allows space to form, so the child doesn't have to go into surgery for teeth that become impacted. Also, dental health like for dogs is important to people. It influences a lot of other functions. And any bad infections in the mouth can travel through our blood. I know there are some people who do it for a better looking smile. But a lot of times it is pushed for overall dental health. However, if you wanted an example of something to which I think was the point you were trying to make.. I suppose that weird "bling" stuff people put on their teeth, or apparently now, the biggest thing parents do to get their kids ready for school is get their teeth whitened. Something just based for aesthetics.

Thank you for explaining. It just really freaked me out when I first saw it. And I know how sensitive this breeds skin is.. and I feel anything harsh, especially when one is a puppy, would just be the root of many issues to come.

Does this strain the ears as well? I know people say it isn't harmful and such.. But puppies move their ears a lot. And it is part of their face.. and this is a breed that hears every sound. Does this put a strain on blood vessels or other things like that? I mean.. I suppose it is difficult to know for sure when you can't relate, as we don't have ears that move in all which ways. But like.. would it cause the ear to become numb, or lose blood flow, would the puppy pull something tendon wise trying to hear? Have puppies tried to rip their ear from their heads in attempt to get the weird glue off or try to help their ears move again?

Does having frozen chew things not help a pups teething? Help sooth it? To hep the puppy not make weird ear movements, or some massages to help ease the pain?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I think you'll find ear gluing is more common in US where ears haven't been a consideration in breeding as they routinely crop the ears so fly away ears are common.

The hair isn't trimmed at all on the inside of the ears or cheeks so that the glue doesn't go near the skin. It is the hair in the ears that is glued to the hair on the cheek. The ears do have a little movement especially as the hair grows. The ears shouldn't be glued down along the crease so there shouldn't be any blood flow restriction, it should be the tip of the ear glued to the cheek.

From what I gather the pups will shake their heads etc to start with so get play distracted, similar to when they first have a collar put on. They then soon ignore it the same as a collar.

It doesn't seem right but as far as I'm concerned in US I'd much rather see someone try ear gluing than the cruel ear cropping procedure if they're wanting to show. Both could be prevented by good breeding practice.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Dawnspell wrote:I think you'll find ear gluing is more common in US where ears haven't been a consideration in breeding as they routinely crop the ears so fly away ears are common.

The hair isn't trimmed at all on the inside of the ears or cheeks so that the glue doesn't go near the skin. It is the hair in the ears that is glued to the hair on the cheek. The ears do have a little movement especially as the hair grows. The ears shouldn't be glued down along the crease so there shouldn't be any blood flow restriction, it should be the tip of the ear glued to the cheek.

From what I gather the pups will shake their heads etc to start with so get play distracted, similar to when they first have a collar put on. They then soon ignore it the same as a collar.

It doesn't seem right but as far as I'm concerned in US I'd much rather see someone try ear gluing than the cruel ear cropping procedure if they're wanting to show. Both could be prevented by good breeding practice.
Aye. I am jealous that cropping ears and tails isn't illegal, here in the US that is. I know the UK it is. The breeders I am getting my pup from will not crop the ears. Which is perfect because I don't want them to be. I am a bit upset the tail will be docked. Part of me wants to ask them not to, but then that poses two problems. One it doesn't allow them to pick a puppy that they think is show quality, and if that pup happens to be, it will be a loss for them. And two.. it doesn't allow me to pick the personality of the pup. So I am unsure what to do.. I know I could look for more dog breeders, but these folks are really nice and go above and beyond.

Is dew claw removal a thing in the UK?

I also think de-barking dogs is awful.. :((