These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Re: These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by Caramomo »

I always get confused here - which jaw is longer?
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Lol, her top ever so slightly goes over her bottom. Literally like...only just. I might get a pic if I can tomorrow to show you.
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Thats how teeth are supposed to sit in a schnauzer, its called a scissors bite. You don't want jaws with teeth that are level with each other (level bite), the top jaw is supposed to just overlap the bottom.

This page has some pictures at the bottom, although the scissors bite picture looks very similar to the level bite ones.
http://www.gocco.co.za/large_breed_defects1.htm
There is a picture in the last row of this page showing a scissor bite
http://www.nevenahavanese.com/LUNA.html
And this page also has a good set of photo's and diagrams showing over, level, scissors and underbites.
http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/ro ... teeth.html
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oh lord - well Freddy's were level as a puppy, wit hthe teeth perfectly ajoining, I thought that was right! Well. Looks like she isn't in trouble then, lol! Thank you, Elaine!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

The last link has a brilliant photo of a scissor bite in an adult rottie about halfway down the page - have a look thats what you're aiming for. It is also worth speaking to the SCGB or the mini club to see if either do an illustrated standard - worth its weight in gold!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I just saw that - what knashers. That's what Freddy's look like right now, will have to look and compare tomorrow at Maisy's!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

maisyfreds i will warn you misy will look like a jester when you tape her ears, thats what kolo's breeder did to ruby and i used to laugh at her constantly!
also, Kolo's mum has lovely ears like freya so i think he must have taken after his dad too-who i adore btw!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oh well, at least she'll have decent ears, even if she looks like a right twat for a month or so!
What's worse is she'll be going into her first heat too and I have no idea what to do, so I'm going to be panicking about ears and arses all month!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Be prepared for a stropulousgirl who will want lots of cuddles and affection and try to keep her and Freddy apart for a month - if you can send him to a friend all the better (even if only for a little bit).
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

maisy may not come in at 6 months, she may come in later-Kolo's half sister didnt have her first season until 15 months! ruby came in at 5 months, freya at 6! every dog is different but keep an eye and thats about all you can do. like elaine says if at all possibly, send freds on holiday to a friend or something.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I really have no where to send him, so I'm just going to supervise all play time and cuddle time. He's been neutered but ah, well, you saw him with Cara Coal!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Neutering won't make a jot of difference - he will still pester and annoy her and try to 'be a man', that's why you need to keep them apart.

As Dannie said all girls are different, Cara came in at 5.5 months to the day and every 5.5 months thereafter (again to the day!) but Mo is 7 months and I know from how small and undeveloped her vulva is as well as her behaviour that she is still no where near a season - I'm not expecting one from her until she is 9 months at least probably 12.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Wow, that's a long while. Maybe I can persuade her to wait that long! I'm petrified of mammary cancer, so every cell in my body is going 'GET HER SPAYED NOW!', lol. I'm going to get her a little nappy thing from PAH when we go for a walk so that if anything were to happen she'd at least have some protection in time for me to pounce on the dog!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Those dog knickers aint gonna be good enough - they will just get pushed to one side. Walk her when its quiet, keep her on a lead or long line and don't let other dogs get too close when she is standing - in fact I don't take Cara out when she's up for it - she gets entertained in the house and garden.

If you want real all over cover buy the value newborn nappies from tesco and cut a hole for her tail - get at her bum then dog! (a friend did this with their boxer and Luna was quite happy to run around in her nappy - until she went in the river and it doubled in size that was sooo funny to watch!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oh god - she's staying on short lead, not long line, lol!

I'm going to go with the nappies. I will take my chances with the rain - I don't care how much she looks stupid, I'm doing the nappies!