These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
nickycaplan

Re: These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by nickycaplan »

we bought those doggy knickers for lola - she got vaginitus, the vet reckoned from the knickers, she really suffered with her first season as it was so heavy and what with a swollen vulva too, she was very forlorn...we had her spade 3 months later.
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Good point Nicky. And I would say that no matter what you decide DON'T leave nappy on all the time - the great dane gets sores from her doggy knickers on the flaps of skin between leg and belly from the straps.

I have found though that I have never needed to use the nappy - Cara keeps herself pretty clean and I can manage the walking around other dogs, but I don't have a Fred to contend with!

Just remember to take the nappy off for toiletting! Let Luna out one evening for last toilet stop and forgot to take the nappy off. She needed a bath before bed. You could always tell when she was happy though - her nappy rustled!!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

BAHAHAHAHAH!
Joni

Post by Joni »

I suppose Maisyfreds you are stuck with seasons if you show her!

I chose to spay Layla as she had a number of phantoms after her first season which was a 9 months out of interest. She has been fine ever since. As I had no intention of showing it was not a hard decision to make - on account of the phantoms, it felt the right thing to do - and even though it is a big op - she obunced back very well, and in my opinion is better for it.

Joni
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Looks like bloody vaginas are my new forte, then!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

nah its not that bad at all! i have three bitches and a dog here!
vespa

Post by vespa »

Pops had her first season at about 10 months and second 9 months after - so like everyone else said they all vary.

Just a thought on the nappies discussion - wouldn't that prevent the dog from learning how to look after herself by cleaning? I had no problems as Ellie did show Pops what to do the first time, never saw her 'attending' to Pops the 2nd season - it was like - "I've shown you what to do, now get on with it!".

When Pops was really fruity - and there was no question of when this was! - I just walked them around the roads on the estate I live on - less chance of dogs running free by the roads and get her to learn a really quick sit even outside which you can then do should a strange dog approach (or carry big stick like my vet suggested!!).
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

That isn't a bad idea - I'm glad I can just scoop her up when seeing another dog, as I know most of the ones in my area and which are neutered and which aren't, so I'm going to keep her on short lead through her whole season, maybe long line when we walk very early in the mornings!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

sounds like a plan maisyfreds!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Well.
In the past week on our walks, I've noticed Maisy's ears have started becoming perkier at the back. Not in the way they tip, but the back of her ears seem like they're moving up. So, without further adue....

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 1458_n.jpg

They tape me!

She was a bit mewy at first and scratched adn rubbed allll over me (I thought she was just cuddling) but now she's asleep and they remain in tact. ;)
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Bethy Pants....how could you, how COULD you! Not how could you tape her ears. But...

How could you break my heart.. you need a heartbreak disclaimer for that link girly!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

You can have her, she doesn't like me much right now. ;)

We just went for a walk in the rain (those of you who met Maisy may remember that the drowned rat look didn't suit her and she refused to walk in the tipping rain and had to be bundled in my coat!) and well. It appears that tape isn't sticky when wet. Who could have known?!

Sigh, back to taping...

p.s. Met a horrified dog walker on the way who deemed me cruel for doing it. I smiled politely and chose not to comment on his FAT FAT FAT Springer Spaniel. It was so fat I thought it was a different breed. But did I say 'What's cruel is you're killing your dog with kindess.'? Noooope. Did I want to? ...:)
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

she looks like she has a wee head band on!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

She looks so silly.
After taping again tonight, she looked even more like a ribboned little girl, but she was getting really stressed by having it there and wouldn't stop scratching, so I took it off and tomorrow I'm just going to tape the ends of her ears to weigh them down instead.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

yea that may be easier, also try some thinner micropore tape