These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Mitch

Re: These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by Mitch »

(giggle) I have an image of a schnauzer fruit bat ahhhhhhhhhhhhh but if there isnt anything at this time wrong with the ear shape would you still do this or is it just if you see an abnormality, Jaspers ears were fruit batty as a pup i do love this phrase (bigthumbs) we didnt tape or glue but they sorted themselves out, is it that if you have a show dog youd not want to leave this to chance
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

personal preference and experience - if you don't want to take the chance or see a problem developing, say the ears are already starting to 'fruit bat' or more experienced breeders and showers will know the warning signs.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

i didn't do anything to freya's ears until i noticed them moving.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I will only be gluing them when she begins teething next month, but until then they do sit nicely - however, I thought Freddy's sat nicely until Dannie pointed out that they were slightly batty when relaxed, lol! Maisy's may head the same way, so I'm not taking chances - I want Freya's neat little ears!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

i do love freya's ears but as soon as she gets a sore ear it goes skewiff!
MollyDolly
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Molly
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Dog #2: Poppy
is a: P/S Std Bitch

Post by MollyDolly »

We were advised to tape Mollys ears when she was young. We didn't as we thought it sounded abit strange and extreme.

Its a pity you can't go to Crufts as you could get some advice from Breeders/people who show, as it is only done to improve you chances of winning at shows.
Karen, Molly & Poppy both p&s standards.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I know, I really wish I could go. :c
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

can you not get a train or something maybe?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Nope. I thought about all possibilities. Looks like I'm just going to have to spy you on Channel 4 - wave at the cameras, guys!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

I heard a tip at a show - encourage Maisy to chew hard bones and the likes particularly while teething. I think it was to help the muscles in the cheeks pull the ears into the right place. Worth a try though!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

you see now i was told the opposite for that and went and bought loads of flatter chew toys but one of jynx's ears still went skewiff so go figure!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Well, I would imagine there are myths and old wives tales about all sorts of things like this, fortunately I have not had to worry as Mo's ears are lovely and big - she has really had to grow into them.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

same as Kolo's ears!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Cara's ears do have fruit bat tendancies though so Mo must get it from her dad.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I think I'm going to go with the taping them in half technique for a month so hopefully that weight will keep them down. Right now Maisy has SLIGHT over bite so I don't want to have it extended by having her jaw messed with when it comes to chewables - she doesn't chew much anyway, but she likes the edible Nylabones.