food review

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
dannie_kl

food review

Post by dannie_kl »

hi guys,
ok so we have alot of new people joing the forum and alot of people requesting food reviews and so on so if you feed a food and would like to make a review and some information on it please either post here or pm me and i will compile it to make a food review sticky for new members to read through and save us writing the same thing constantly. The list will be alphabetical so its fair to all and not in any order of preference. things you may like to mention:
Why you feed, the results you have had, price wise, easy to purchase (local stockists etc) you get the idea?
mookie&me

Re: food review

Post by mookie&me »

Good idea about the sticky, Dannie.

Would it be helpful to put +'s and -'s? That should make it as balanced as possible..
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Can you include this website;

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I have found it to have very good, honest reviews of most foods available in the UK (as well as some only available in the US, *sigh*).

Could you include this text as my review of Orijen, Ta;

"I feed Orijen, and unless I ever move to Barf will never feed anything else. My dogs love it, they have brilliant, firm dark poos, have good coat and skin condition, clean teeth, they maintain a nice, steady weight and have as much energy as they want. Neither have my two have ever had stomach or allergy problems.

When Cara was a puppy I stupidly fed Bakers Complete and it made her hyper, all those colours in it was like feeding an 8 yr old child blue smarties. I decided to change her food and in less than a week she had calmed right down. Mo was on Orijen from 12 weeks and was nowhere near as mental.

Orijen contains no grains, the content is 70% meat and 30% veg/fruit . I like the fact they are so proud of their ingredients that they list their suppliers on their website and each ingredient is individually listed, ie they say chicken fat, chicken liver and chicken meal rather than just chicken or chicken derivatives. They do three varieties, Original which contains chicken, turkey, salmon, and herring as the main meat ingredients, Regional Red which contains boar, lamb. bison and pork and 6 Fish, which has 6 fish varieties. They also do Puppy, Senior and Puppy Large Breed.

I get it direct from the Orijen site http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/ its about 50GBP for a 13.5kg bag and they deliver. They also do 7.5kg, and 2.5kg size bags as well as a 400g trial size bag. Delivery is free for orders of 27kg or more. Other websites may offer free delivery but I have not tried them as I am happy with the exceptional customer service I have received from Orijen

If it is in stock I normally have it on my doorstep within two-three days. For my last order they had puppy in stock but no adult. The puppy was delivered on time but the adult took two weeks. To apologise for the delay they included a second bag of 13.5kg adult FREE! They also contacted my by email within an hour of my order to tell me they did not have the stock.

I happily recommend this to anyone that will listen as I am so happy with it (and to those that don't wanna know!).

To give you the cons as well I do know that some dogs have had difficulties with Orijen as it contains such large amounts of protein, so that may be something to consider if your dog is sensitive to high protein levels."

Thanks Dannie.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

thank you elaine! i will certainly add it, olivia yes plus and minus are of course welcome!
BellBell
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Bella
Born: 18 Oct 2009

Post by BellBell »

Bella is currently on Royal Canin Mini Junior and has been since I had her.

I have never had any poo issues with that and for a long time she munched it fine on its own, now she is older she has a spoonful of meat mixed in because she wasn't over fussed about the kibble on its own and it was a hassle to feed. Her coat is fine, she has nice white teeth and is currently 6.4kg so gaining weight nicely.

For me the royal canin is about £15 from P@H

I did try her on JWB as the trainer we use says it is good stuff and the ingredients seemed healthier than RC and it was cheaper, however Bella did not like this, her poos were runny and she had flaking in her fur. Also she wouldn't eat it, if I mixed it with RC kibble she just ate that.

So until she needs changing to adult food at around 10 months (August) I will stick to what she has.
Bella - Black Mini - Born 18th October 2009
Chestersmum
First Name: nikki
Dog #1: chester
Born: 22 Apr 2008

Post by Chestersmum »

Hi Dannie

Well having a fussy eater I can only comment on the ones chester will eat, which are Orijen , Barking Heads, Wainwrights and P@H Own brand. These are all available within 20 mins of where I live (I know some people have trouble getting hold of Orijen) and although Orijen is quite expensive only small amounts are fed so it doens't work out that bad actually. The only problem I found with Orijen is that Chester put on weight with it, and I was feeding at the lower end of the recommend amount. When I lowered the amount I was giving him by 5-10 grams I found he was scavenging alot and picking up bits from the road when out walking.

So he is on Barking Heads Fat Dog Slim at the moment which he is enjoying too. I have spoken to the people at Barking Heads quite a few times and have found them really helpful. Their 6kg bags are around £20 so feeding chester works out 42p per day . I would like to get him back onto Orijen once he has lost his bit extra as I do believe it is the best dry food available.

I have never had any problems with upset stomachs or runny poo's with any of these foods.

When I tried him on Burns High Oats it went straight through him - not pleasant. Most others he didn't even sniff, JWB, Arden Grange, Royal Canin

Sorry for rambling on (sorry)
Owned by Chester, Black & Silver Mini and my little ray of sunshine
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

great food reviews everone, keep them coming!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Mine is pending - currently researching!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

good work sianny!
Trace&Chris

Post by Trace&Chris »

I've also found this website http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/index.htm
which gives quite a lot of information on different products - if you look along the right hand side, it shows their current products under review.
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by summer46 »

I have fed Summer various dry food but the one that works for us is Fish4Dogs.

She has the small bite Salmon Kibble it is £6.50 for 1.5 Kgs
It has No additives or preservatives or colourings is Gluten free and Hypo allergenic and is high in Omega 3.

Ingrediants are:

30.5% Salmon, 30.5% potato, 21.4% herring meal, 7.6% salmon oil, 6.4% beet fibre, 2.1% brewers yeast, 0.8% minerals,
0.7% vitamins

+ Tiny kibble has got to be the smallest i have tried so far Summer can be a lazy muncher and not much smell
- None as of yet

She also has Fish4Dogs Salmon mousse wet food which is 0.55p for a 99g pouch this is made up of 99% salmon and 1% seaweed extract. Again no additives,preservatives or colourings. Gluten free and hypo allergenic.

+ Great for fussy eaters Summer only has to have a whiff of this and she's at her bowl within seconds.
- Very smelly

To keep her teeth healthy she has Fish4Dogs sea jerky skinny strips they are 100% cod skins and are £5.50 for 200g

+ great for teeth and very natural
- can be a bit smelly and the bits get all in the beard but i leave it dry first then it just brushes out very easily.

Since i've been feeding Summer Fish4dogs her poos are firm small and dark her coat has more gloss to it and her skin is a lot better as before it was very dry and itchy. She seems to enjoy her food more now too rather than looking at it in disgust she leaves an empty bowl.

The only problem I have found is none of the pet stores stock it by us so i have to order online & delivery charges are based on the weight.

Phew think this must be the longest post i have written since joining. (giggle)
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Sounds good, they are more transparent with their ingredients too! :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

thanks summer46-great post and in a great format!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

if anyone else has any more food reviews please add them so i can shortly begin making a less jumbled food review.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Come on Sianny - wheres that review you were researching? Hurry up!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!