GDPR and the forum

Any changes or interruptions to the regular service will be posted here.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

GDPR and the forum

Post by Dinkum »

Hello everyone

By now, you should all be aware of the new data protection legislation coming into force on 25 May 2018 across Europe. The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) will impact on the forum and I will need to make some changes to the way we do things.

As it stands, I have not updated the forum in over 2 years and we are running on the last edition of version 3.0. There are currently no known bugs or vulnerabilities, which is why I haven't upgraded to the latest version. Our version has now come to EOL (end of life) with development and no new versions are being released.

With the necessary changes that are required in relation to the GDPR and our version being out of date, I intend to upgrade to the latest version of our software forum. This means we will lose some functionality we currently have, but this is not critical and some if it is not used very often.

Things we will definitely lose are the calendar and the integration with the gallery. The photo's will remain in the gallery, but you may not be able to upload any new photos. There may be some issues around the weekly newsletter and I will hope to sort these out over the next few weeks.

Another part of the process will be to get your consent to collect and store your data. This will form part of the login process. Those of you that are logged in permanently will be logged out and will have to log in again to agree to the new terms and conditions. There may also be changes around the type of data we collect, such as the name and DoB of your dogs. This currently appears underneath your profile information.

There will be slight changes to menus, layouts, etc, but nothing too drastic. As we progress, I will update everyone on what other changes are likely and how this will impact on usability.

It is a big piece of legislation and something that is going to take a bit of time to sort out on the forum, so please bear with me as I make the changes.

Happy schnauzering.
Dean
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: GDPR and the forum

Post by Robin black mini »

Bless your heart..it can't be easy sorting out all this. You do a great job and thankyou fo that.
I love the forum,the only thing amongst those you've mentioned is the ability to upload pics..I hope this doesn't stop ,as for me ,it can bring life into a post if I can add a pic...especially re grooming.
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

Hi Jo

It's thanks to you and everyone else that help other members with good advice that makes it all worthwhile.
Robin black mini wrote:I love the forum,the only thing amongst those you've mentioned is the ability to upload pics..I hope this doesn't stop ,as for me ,it can bring life into a post if I can add a pic...especially re grooming.
We won't lose the ability to add photos to posts. That will continue as it always has. The gallery we currently have is an add-on I cobbled together years ago and sadly, it won't work with the new version as it does now. I'll try and get it working, but with all the other items on the list to do, I may not have time and it will have to wait.

We'll still be able to bring in photos from other places like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and lots of other sites. It may actually be easier than it was before.
Dean (Dog dad)

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I echo Jo's comments. Really appreciate your efforts Dean. Unfortunately I don't use Instabook, Facegram or Twitty but my photo's are always too large anyway and too much of a ludite to find out how to get them smaller.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Oscar 12345 wrote:I echo Jo's comments. Really appreciate your efforts Dean. Unfortunately I don't use Instabook, Facegram or Twitty but my photo's are always too large anyway and too much of a ludite to find out how to get them smaller.
I don't use these sites either..too busy with my dogs and general life...I was a photobucket fan until they asked us to pay to post there.. :(
Barbarauttley
First Name: Barbara
Dog #1: Billy
Born: 08 Oct 2012

Post by Barbarauttley »

Thank you Dean. Where would the forum be without you and the other moderators!!
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Thankyou for all the work you put in. I like the forum I'm not a fan of the other social media platforms mentioned in fact I don't even know how to use some of them.
If you have to do all these upgrades does it cost you and do you need a contribution?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Thank you, Dean. Your hard work keeping the Forum functioning well is really appreciated :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

jacdales wrote:If you have to do all these upgrades does it cost you and do you need a contribution?
The hosting costs and the domain name are mostly covered through the advertising and people clicking on the Amazon links, so no contribution necessary other than using the Amazon links. Thanks for the kind offer.
Dean (Dog dad)

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Dean, I use Amazon a lot so will ensure I use the link if that helps.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I also wanted to add my voice to the "Thank you's" for keeping the site going and moderating it etc.

I have to deal with GDPR at work so I know it's a mine-field.

Thank you for all your hard work.
Last edited by mikegoodson1 on 30 Apr 2018, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Thanks Dean for updating us so comprehensively. I don't envy your task and so admire your efforts ( and those of the moderators) on behalf of this forum even more.
I look forward to seeing what the new format looks like.
All the best,

Boyd
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Unfortunately I'm wading through the effects of GDPR at work but at least I'm being paid for it.

I'd like to add my appreciation too for the work Dean is putting in on the update. Your reward will be in heaven :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Pennyblack
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Pennie
Born: 31 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Jenson
Born: 03 Aug 2016

Post by Pennyblack »

I’d love me to echo the others with my thanks for this forum, I’ve gained lots of useful info via it and often direct new schnauzer owners to it from my Facebook group. I too am involved with GDPR via work and see the minefield we’re all crossing.
Kim (Cairn Terrier cross) saved from a puppy farm August 1987 aged approx 6 weeks, crossed the Rainbow Bridge 21/5/1993 - always missed

Ventoso Pennie Black black mini - born 31/7/2015, came home 26/9/2015
Ventoso Severus Snape -Jenson Button black mini - born 3/8/2016, came home 8/10/2016