grooming tools

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
alive555
Puppy
First Name: David

grooming tools

Post by alive555 »

hi folks

I have a 4 months old black standard schnauzer and I need to know what grooming tools to buy
to remove undercoat and keep the hair wiry

what tools do i need to buy for carding and stripping

can I buy these tools on amazon ?
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: grooming tools

Post by Robin black mini »

A coarse stripping knife will start you on your way..held horizontally and drawn through the coat you will pull out the soft undercoat( this is carding) ..
When .held in correct position to grip the hair between blade and thumb ,you will pull the longest hairs ( this is stripping)
I like Mars or pearsons stripping knives. They are a personal choice and if you can hold some before you buy you may find others to your liking...hauptner,aesculap,greyhound etc..
http://www.katewerk.com/roll.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In principle it's really easy to keep the dog in wire coat ,especially if you roll the coat ..ie pull through the coat each week..id suggest you ask someone to show you to use the knife before you start to avoid being rough on the dog..you will pull the skin tight before you use the knife and it should be relaxing for the dog if you are doing this correctly...the only hair you are pulling out will be dead hair...the dog will let you know!!,
I strip and card one day a week and then bath the next day. The pores have time to close and the risk of irritation and infection is minimal.bathing weekly is a personal choice ,but mine sleeps on our bed so it's a must! :) :)
You will need a good pair of scissors to trim the legs( I like rose line) and a slicker brush to get into the beard and leg hair..( also a metal greyhound comb).
The last must have is a set of clippers..I use my arco mosers on my mini for her sanitary areas,under the footpads and on her cheeks and throat.for a bigger dog such as the standard you may want to consider a more robust set of clippers..oster,aesculaps etc..

If you look at the stickies on the top of grooming section..there are many embedded links and u tube clips...it's worth reading them before you go hands on as they give you tuition before you attempt the deed.
alive555
Puppy
First Name: David

Post by alive555 »

thanks - very informative indeed!!

so if i buy the mars 326 coarse stripping knife what else do i need, anything else ?

The cut can be done by the groomer not me !

so im only interested in stripping.

what is the mars coat king for and is that recommended also ?

thankyou !
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Many of these coat kings,furminators etc contain a blade that will cut the hair...again a personal choice,but if you use the stripping knife frequently you will get a better coat over time,without cutting hair.
These gadgets are often used when the coat has got out of control...thick and sometimes matted and give fast results...but the coat will suffer if used all the time.
Pennyblack
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Pennie
Born: 31 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Jenson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Aug 2016

Post by Pennyblack »

There is a tool by Andis, similar to the Mars Coat King, which was recommended to me by a groomer who also shows her mini that doesn't cut the coat and I have to say, I do prefer it to my coat king. When I look at what's coming out of Jenson's coat while using it, there is only undercoat there so it works like a dream

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kim (Cairn Terrier cross) saved from a puppy farm August 1987 aged approx 6 weeks, crossed the Rainbow Bridge 21/5/1993 - always missed

Ventoso Pennie Black black mini - born 31/7/2015, came home 26/9/2015
Ventoso Severus Snape -Jenson Button black mini - born 3/8/2016, came home 8/10/2016
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

just a thought, while your grooming you need to do nails I have always used a nail clipper then a pedi paws which was ok but heavy and heavy on batteries. I bought the oster a couple of days ago. I love it. It's lighter than pedi paws and easy to use I have three dogs and even the nippy welsh let me do her claws with out a murmur, she has always had issues getting one paw groomed the others were ok

https://fetch.co.uk/oster-nail-filer-285269011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;