Advice re hand stripping a black Schnauzer puppy

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Bellamia
Puppy
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Bella
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 18 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Dolly May
Born: 12 Feb 2016

Re: Advice re hand stripping a black Schnauzer puppy

Post by Bellamia »

Oh he is absolutely gorgeous, congratulations on your hand stripping and on Jenson's success too. I always clipped my salt & peppers, but hand stripped my black and silver and now my solid black to keep the colour and also the wire coat. I call our Bella my mini giant as she stands and looks just like a giant in miniature! She has a lovely coat but her furnishings are sparse, the silver lining is she's not shown so it is much more practical when walking in boggy woods, which is often! Her eyebrows are always a bit hit and miss as she has the doggy equivalent of a cow's lick. I've learnt to just let it fall naturally and then cut to it's own 'shape' and it works for Belle, I don't show so not a problem as just want tidy dogs. Having had all 3 colour types I think the blacks are very special, ok they don't look quite as spectacularly smart as the black and silvers but they do have a certain poise, stature and grace all their own plus you don't get the stained beard :-bd On the other hand our (very very very to infinity very) naughty puppy, Dolly's (an apricot cockapoo please don't ask how me, a schnauzer devotee, ended up with a cockapoo!) coat is clipped, just done her and she looks like a shorn but rather sweet and beautiful baby lamb. Bless, what would we do without our babies :x
Lunas World
Puppy
First Name: Ian

Post by Lunas World »

Pennyblack - well done on the prizes won. He is looking really good.
NebulaOdyssey wrote:Jenson is looking amazing, just fab.

All the effort I've put into working on Luna and she looks, well a bit thin on the body (attempting to hand strip roll her coat) and short (my fault totally) and silky in the legs. Slightly disappointing.

I was warned her coat would look worse (moth eaten) before it looked better when first starting to roll hand strip it. But everything just seems to be a bit meh...
As an update, some time later with consistent hand stripping, it doe indeed all come together! She was looking fantastic about a month ago. She then had her spay operation and skirt is gone and she has some bald patches just starting to cover on her neck and leg. We had some stressful complications after the surgery and she lost a large amount of weight. But we are back on track :)

I missed one week since I started stripping (due to Luna being too ill to be pulling her around unfairly) which has made her a little longer but overall not too out of shape. I just have to build back in her lines for her skirt and obviously grow her skirt back in. Also due a head tidy and trim soon.
Pennyblack
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Pennie
Born: 31 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Jenson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Aug 2016

Post by Pennyblack »

Luna's coat is looking fantastic, well done on the hard work.

Jenson is starting to look much better thanks to some help I had from a fellow exhibitor at the Scottish KC show. He's now qualified for Crufts so the pressure is off and I can spend time working on his coat without worrying too much.

Next championship show is at Border Union on 18th June so lots of time to remove hopefully the last of his puppy coat before then.

2nd place Puppy Dog class

With his big sister, Pennie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kim (Cairn Terrier cross) saved from a puppy farm August 1987 aged approx 6 weeks, crossed the Rainbow Bridge 21/5/1993 - always missed

Ventoso Pennie Black black mini - born 31/7/2015, came home 26/9/2015
Ventoso Severus Snape -Jenson Button black mini - born 3/8/2016, came home 8/10/2016
Pennyblack
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Pennie
Born: 31 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Jenson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Aug 2016

Post by Pennyblack »

Thought I’d give a wee update. We went to Crufts last month and though, as expected, he didn’t get anything from his class, he was super chilled and seemed to enjoy the experience. I’ve just splashed out on a Danish Rainbow knife (little yellow) to get his coat into shape once more for his first attempt to qualify for 2019. I know I need to do more work on his coat but we’re getting there. There’s much less undercoat comes out at each session which means I’m doing it right :)

ImageImage
Kim (Cairn Terrier cross) saved from a puppy farm August 1987 aged approx 6 weeks, crossed the Rainbow Bridge 21/5/1993 - always missed

Ventoso Pennie Black black mini - born 31/7/2015, came home 26/9/2015
Ventoso Severus Snape -Jenson Button black mini - born 3/8/2016, came home 8/10/2016
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Denise

He looks very smart, thanks for posting the update.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.