Stripping knives ..consider an upgrade?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Stripping knives ..consider an upgrade?

Post by Robin black mini »

I've been very happy with my Mars knives but am really drawn to this Danish site...made specifically for terriers by schnauzer breeders and show people..these stripping knives are most likely my next purchase..the rainbow collection ,three sizes ,fine,medium and coarse,all with beautiful ,wooden crafted handles..there is a discount at the mo on the three rainbow knives.(.just sent off a query re p and p.. :)
...the Danish collection are cheaper and also a good buy..the comments from groomers speak positively. I will update if I get them.
http://www.forgroomers.com/about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.forgroomers.com/products-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Janer
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Meg
Born: 18 Jan 2014

Re: Stripping knives ..consider an upgrade?

Post by Janer »

I have not seen these knives before but Meg's breeder was singing the praises of the Groomer dk Danish 2 in 1 twin King as a tool for getting the undercoat out without cutting the coat on the standard schnauzers she shows.

Have you also looked at Yento knives? They are remarkably similar to the ones on the forgroomers site. I have the fine one which is wonderful (they are pre blunted!!) and feel very good in the hand but I have not yet been able to justify the cost of buying another size to myself - yet. Especially as they are no longer sold in the uk and the shipping from Europe is extortionate if you are buying one at a time. Take a look at the Transgroom website and see what you think. They are certainly cheaper than the groomers dk ones and, as I said, the one I have is lovely.

http://www.transgroom.com/en/products/y ... ping-knife" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Robin black mini wrote:I've been very happy with my Mars knives but am really drawn to this Danish site...made specifically for terriers by schnauzer breeders and show people..these stripping knives are most likely my next purchase..the rainbow collection ,three sizes ,fine,medium and coarse,all with beautiful ,wooden crafted handles..there is a discount at the mo on the three rainbow knives.(.just sent off a query re p and p.. :)
...the Danish collection are cheaper and also a good buy..the comments from groomers speak positively. I will update if I get them.
http://www.forgroomers.com/about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.forgroomers.com/products-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem very expensive at £35.00
I bought the German Aesculap ones, the same company who manufactured my clippers. They have been manufacturing surgical instruments since 1867. I reckon they must know a fair bit about blade making by now :)

These knives are identical to the McClellan knives and in fact Aesculap actually show the McClellan ones on their site and my supplier said the McClellans were no longer available. Makes you wonder if they have been taken over by McClellan

http://www.aesculap-clippers.com/cps/rd ... /7255.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other well regarded knives seem to be Pearson, Hauptner, Franklyn.
Robin black mini

Janer..I looked at the yento and agree they do look similar in shape and design..they are also amongst the new generation of stripping knives that seem to be more compact in shape and kinder on the hands ....so they do look a good buy.
The DM knives appeal to me as the rainbow ones have been modified in design to strip the hair better
They say" we moved the teeth for a better grab" ( Danish translation) and I like the patterned wood grain at the tops of the handle..wood is my thing( pyrography hobby) so I'm looking forward to getting these..
Bodee.. A stripping knife will outlive a dogs lifetime,so for me it's not too expensive..the aesculaps are a good company ..I have aesculaps clippers and they are reliable,hardworking ,strong clippers..so their knives shouldn't disappoint..but the handles are synthetic and I prefer wood..it's so personal,that I wish I could have hands on before I buy,but in Italy it's definitely online shopping.
The other names ..hauptner,Pearson are old timers.. Reliable,old school classics ..these knives I've mentioned are new generation re shorter re shape and fit for the hand..I'm curious to see the difference when using one,and will update when I've done a strip or two.
Janer

Post by Janer »

I would definitely be interested in how you get on. I currently use the Mikki knives in the main with the fine Yento for detail work but reading the Danish website it would seem that a fine can be used for the general work so long as the coat is not too coarse so I will give it a go. The short handle is certainly very good to work with, as you say it would be nice to try the feel of them before buying but I think means a visit to somewhere like Crufts.
Do you know if the Danish knives are blunt? Not having to go through the blunting process is worth something.
Are you thinking of getting all the grades of knife or do you think fine and medium would be enough?
Robin black mini

HI Janer. I've read on the description they have under each knife that it promises not to cut hair and every knife is checked before they send them out for this..so I'm saying they are pre blunted.( see under function) .
Obviously English isn't their first language ,but Im fairly sure they mean this.
I've decided to get the three ,fine ,medium and coarse rainbow knives as they give a discount if you buy the three as a set( look under rainbow knives at the bottom )..this way I pay just one postage..often in Europe you pay for up to a kilo as one amount..so three knives will be the same postage as them sending one.

I
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Robin black mini wrote:HI Janer. I've read on the description they have under each knife that it promises not to cut hair and every knife is checked before they send them out for this..so I'm saying they are pre blunted.( see under function) .
Obviously English isn't their first language ,but Im fairly sure they mean this.
I've decided to get the three ,fine ,medium and coarse rainbow knives as they give a discount if you buy the three as a set( look under rainbow knives at the bottom )..this way I pay just one postage..often in Europe you pay for up to a kilo as one amount..so three knives will be the same postage as them sending one.

I
Good luck Jo, they certainly look the business. Let us all know how you get on with them. By the way have you come across the Diamastripper?

http://www.rabartforfineart.com/--new-- ... 9659-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin black mini

Bodee..re diamastripper....it promises to be a USA ,all in one wonder tool at "just 150 "dollars,..not for me..the 3 stage knives will cost less than this..
I like a tool for each stage,more precision..
Anyway..
I've tried to order the knives yesterday but they haven't replied..we've received a generic e mail to give us a log in password ,but there is no box on the site to log this into..
Another e mail sent..no reply..the site info says it hasn't been uploaded since 2014
So we have written to their German supplier...no reply as yet..
Very frustrating...
Janer ..do they have a uk supplier do you know.?
Janer

Post by Janer »

No UK supplier that I am aware of, Meg's breeder said you could only get the 2 in1 tool from Denmark.

It could be that they are on holiday! It looks a very small operation that might not have cover for holidays.
Robin black mini

All ok..I telephoned direct,they were busy with so many orders..mine should take about a week to come,so will update in a couple,once I've tried them out.
Janet your breeder is correct they are the prime suppliers of these products but plan to have other suppliers in Europe soon..
The lady told me their two in one tool was really efficient for getting a lot of undercoat out of heavy coated dogs and would not cut coat...but I declined as I have weekly stripped my one small girl and am not doing several dogs or big dogs..
Lovely people,and their website for their dogs is worth a look...on their grooming shop link photos..their black and silver dog is just breathtaking..his enormous furnishings make Robin look like a poor relation. =))