DK stripping knives ...truely beautiful.

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

DK stripping knives ...truely beautiful.

Post by Robin black mini »

The dk knives have arrived and I am really impressed.
These are the rainbow knives..fine ,medium and coarse..
I work with wood and glass a lot and the quality of the knife handles is stunning..each knife has been colour treated so the grain stripes are a different colour..each knife came in a leather pouch..they strip beautifully..
I've started a new pyrography box to contain these ,and the rest of my stripping gear...so far,unfinished ,but a project I think these knives deserve..LOL will update when I'm done and it's varnished..

To the New strippers aboard......
If you are buying knives,remember that they will last a lifetime..I still have a stripping knife that is 45 years old ,given to me by my first terrier mentor. so don't rush to buy a bargain..remember quality lasts! Iv e had so many tools that it takes a lot to impress me now,but what a lovely surprise these knives were to unpack and appreciate.
Last edited by Robin black mini on 08 Sep 2017, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: DK stripping knives ...truely beautiful.

Post by Dawnspell »

Oooooh I like those :x I'm sure the handles on my mars are feeling wobbly =))

Love your artwork too
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Janer
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Meg
Born: 18 Jan 2014

Post by Janer »

Lovely looking knives, will you give us an update when you have used them a few times? I would be particularly interested in what you think each size is best at.

I suppose it depends on how coarse the coat is?? Meg's coat is not very wiry, potentially one of those coats that a groomer would say is not strippable (if there is such a word) but since I wanted her to stay black I have stripped her and she at least has a weatherproof coat, which was proved at the weekend in the Peak District. :-o :-o :-o

When I see a stripped salt and pepper coat I confess I am a little jealous of the harshness!
Kittykate
Puppy
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Dec 2016

Post by Kittykate »

I bought one of these DK knives advertised as the only one I would need. I think it is a fine.
I used it straight out of the box with no need to dull it at all.
I watched the videos DK (schnauzer owners) have on how to use.
Apart from looking beautiful it carded Hugo (now 10 months old) beautifully.
We are now finally stripping his outer coat. I say finally as the coat wasn't ready and he has been a challenge.
I bought the rake that DK sell as well. it is also a good tool designed not to cut. Hugo isn't a fan of that....yet!
We went to a pet trade show on the weekend and he got lots of comments on his lovely black jacket.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: DK stripping knives ...truely beautiful

Post by Robin black mini »

I'm glad you liked the knife Kathleen...picccccs?

I've just done my weekly card and strip..I mainly use the coarse,then fine,with the dk but still use my Mars knife too for the fine detail...
They take off such a lot of coat at one pass,the dk knives would be wonderful for medium and large schnauzers ... But, should be used with care on the minis.l! The first time I used mine I did see the hint of a hole on the rump...a first for me,but once I got going I realized they are a really efficient tool and just needed a light hand.

Did you look at the photos on the ugly duckling site? I've never seen better stripping..the black and silver dog leaves me wanting a pup from them.
http://www.ugly-duckling.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kittykate
Puppy
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Dec 2016

Post by Kittykate »

Awww...Robin I checked that site and those puppies are so cute not ugly at all. LOL!

It has been ages since I uploaded pictures of Hugo when he was a puppy but I will try and upload a more recent one.
He is a work in progress as his head, neck and ears are still somewhat fluffy.