Video of a property of a licensed breeder of 80 dogs

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Video of a property of a licensed breeder of 80 dogs

Post by BeeBee »

This video has been produced by the group CARIAD. It's disturbing throughout.

https://vimeo.com/131870857

It doesn't show any dogs suffering, what it shows is the conditions that many lived...and died in...to supply the puppy trade. Puppies that would have been sold by dealers in homes around the country, or in pet shops. The online puppy selling websites we advise going nowhere near are full of puppies that start life in places like this.

This is a house on a busy main road. It's not a puppy "farm" in a rural location.

This was a council licensed breeder. So, when breeders/sellers proudly proclaim they're all good as they hold a license, remember this film, as it often means nothing at all for the dogs forced to live as breeding dogs.

I warn you it's disturbing, but it deserves to be watched by anyone who cares about the state of puppy breeding and selling and wants to do something to stop this kind of place existing.

And knowledge of this kind of existence for thousands of dogs right now is why I can, on occasion lose my cool with people who want me to shut up and play nicely and just focus on the cute and nice things about our dogs and puppies. While this goes on, I'll keep campaigning.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Video of a property of a licensed breeder of 80 dogs

Post by Dawnspell »

My thoughts in the first few minutes are it had a resonance of when you see films of now empty concentration camps. Silent now but what horrors happened. Then the groomer later mentions the same thing later in the video. Those poor dogs :( even the ones that survived were victims.

I really can't understand anyone who can treat animals that way X(
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I just cried for the dogs. I wonder if under the laws that allow the public to ask for information from councils could a charity get all the names and addresses of licenced breeders then local volunteers could do a check on them and report to RSPCA or the police. Because the council imho is more interested in enforcing the welsh language than animal abuse laws
Gina

Post by Gina »

Horrific and harrowing. I recognise the area as I drive past here every time I go to my caravan - I didn't know it was there...but her neighbours did.
Using Tapatalk
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

Gina wrote:Horrific and harrowing. I recognise the area as I drive past here every time I go to my caravan - I didn't know it was there...but her neighbours did.
and so did the council.
jacdales wrote:I just cried for the dogs. I wonder if under the laws that allow the public to ask for information from councils could a charity get all the names and addresses of licenced breeders then local volunteers could do a check on them and report to RSPCA or the police. Because the council imho is more interested in enforcing the welsh language than animal abuse laws
I think CARIAD have tried to get this kind of action happening in the past with their local groups initiative. We are woefully poor at actually doing this things in this country sadly. People talk a lot, make social media outbursts about what they'd do to the people who abuse dogs etc, and yet, when asked to get out and be active, the silence is deafening. I follow and network with a lot of groups and individuals around the world and one of the groups I am really impressed with in terms of supporters and how they turn out, and do practical things is Oscar's Law in Australia. The founder, Debra Tranter has a great team of volunteers and their efforts are finally starting to pay off and get some results. They get puppy factories closed down and get prosecutions, they stand in good numbers at court hearings, outside petshops, they are seen and heard. We just don't seem able to rally anything like this in the UK. Cultural differences account for some of it, British people are notoriously apathetic, (or passive if you prefer) compared with some nations. But really, the hypocrisy then of trotting out the old myth of us being a nation of animal lovers when we see this kind of video makes me cross, and makes me challenge things.

But, to go back to you Jackie, it might be worth contacting CARIAD with your idea, to see how far they ever got, if indeed I've remembered it right, and might be worth reviving it. There are a few people with great ideas wanting more support in all this.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

It was quite hard watching that video, so sad that this cruelty went on and no one came to help. Carmarthenshire Council are an absolute disgrace.

If the owner was terminally ill, surely they would have had a Palliative Care Nurse visiting? Maybe they were also wearing blinkers :(

I remember when the Carmarthenshire 65 arrived at rescue, so many people came together to help. Let's hope the surviving dogs have a good future.
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
horacehoracecat
First Name: Catherine

Post by horacehoracecat »

Keep on campaigning Bee Bee and thank you for everything you are doing for these cruelly treated dogs.
We fostered two of the poodles from 'the 65' , who are now in loving homes with brilliant adopters. Both these boys have names now and they are settled. The adopters have kept in touch and it has been great to see these boys grow in confidence and leave their dreadful past behind.
This problem is not going away. It is getting worse. Fosterers are always needed for rescued ex- breeding dogs and if you think you could help then please message me.
We all need to support CARIAD and do what we can to help. We must keep spreading the word about these dreadful puppy farms and hopefully some people will be deterred from buying puppies from dealers.
Polly, the deaf, flokarty rug dog, Whisp, Many Tears ex-breeding Schnauzer,Penny, another Many Tears rescue, a Yorkie baby and Abbey, Many Tears ex-breeding Schnauzer.
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

horacehoracecat wrote:Keep on campaigning Bee Bee and thank you for everything you are doing for these cruelly treated dogs.
We fostered two of the poodles from 'the 65' , who are now in loving homes with brilliant adopters. Both these boys have names now and they are settled. The adopters have kept in touch and it has been great to see these boys grow in confidence and leave their dreadful past behind.
Thank you, my efforts always feel so little when we see the scale of horror for dogs, but every single thing we all do does help. I'd like to foster, but travelling as often as we do its not possible, but, thank goodness there are kind people like you who do.

One thing that I meant to say the other day when I posted this, is that most of the dogs were poodles living in this place. They would have been the parents of the 'schnoodles' and other oodle crosses of course that the puppy dealers know sell so well in this ridiculous puppy market the dogs are unfortunate to be caught up in today around the world.