feeding pregnant bitches

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Re: feeding pregnant bitches

Post by miniforme »

I believe they can also have these symptoms with a phantom , has anyone ever experienced this ?
ImageBig dogs in little packages
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Last season Molly ahd a full on phatom sicky, enlarged teets, milk production, thickening out of sides not so much belly but she did increase in weigh, was ravenous but we didnt feed more as we obviously knew she was preggie, vulva stayed a little puffy, she reduced her excersise, she gathered invisible puppies and took them to and from to different beds, she protected any bed she was lieing in with reall passion vergeing on aggression, she would not let Ella and Mabel near her Jasper she was fine most of the time with and Charlie girl came off kinda worse as she was a new pup for us at the time and Molly i think saw her as her puppy and would really tell her off but prior to the invisible pups, she actually showed signs of giving birth and had a discharge at the end that could only be explained by the vet as the build up during her phantom we thought it was the dreaded pyo but definitely wasnt thank god

the phantoms can be worse than the real thing, as this time thankfully shes preggie and shes so chilled and loving and enjoying life (clap)
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Aww I just want to cuddle her now how awful for her, glad she's alright now!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Welshian wrote:Aww I just want to cuddle her now how awful for her, glad she's alright now!

She says the more cuddles the better (kiss)
Lipgloss
First Name: Michelle

Post by Lipgloss »

Yep, I can believe thay can go through the pregnancy symtoms without really being pregnant- even the vets' ultrascan can be wrong. I recently had 2 breeder friends (labs + cockers) who took their bitches to be untrascanned and one apparently was and one wasn't- it worked out the other way round though! I use my good old stethoscope- heart beats don't lie.
By the way, mine always have a discharge around 4 weeks too- don't know if that happens with phantoms also. (question)
Michelle, who reckons all dogs should have their meat and eat it...!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

No discharge at the 4th week with Mollys phantom but she has had it this time round the real macoy (bigthumbs)
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

yes phantoms can be funny things can't they? all 3 of my girls had quite bad first seasons, stayed swollen for ages, very sluggish and so on, in the beginning with ruby the vet said some of the signs were similar to a phantom pregnancy but every season since has been fine, just seems the first seasons are a bit full on for them. we occassionally had a couple of the cockers have phantoms, my friends cocker had a really bad phantom-blew all her coat, was really up and down emotionally, sometimes wouldnt eat, others ate everything even stuff that wasnt food. strange how it effects all dogs differently.