PLEASE HELP RUFUS AGED 3 AND 7 MONTHS SUDDEN BLINDNESS :(

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
stephiewoo
Puppy
First Name: steph

PLEASE HELP RUFUS AGED 3 AND 7 MONTHS SUDDEN BLINDNESS :(

Post by stephiewoo »

Hello firstly to everyone who reads this.

I am an owner of Rufus who is 3 yrs 7 months, he is my first dog and first schnauzer,i love him dearly and weve had some tough times together, me as a human and Rufus as his marvelous self.

Ive not been on here before, but so wish i had.

Rufus and his history:

Born 22/8/2008

Roofie chose me when he was 6 weeks old and he came into our loving home, a true friend and companion.

Rufus is unfortunatly suffering with skin complaints,intolerance of some dog foods and quickly greasy fur,hes well mannered if a little excited sometimes.
He was on a diet of fish and rice alternated with chicken, carrots fresh fruit and veg from 6 months old to may last year, closly monitored by the vets.

Roofie was weened onto harringtons food in may 2011, he enjoyed it, he skin was great and his bottom stayed in one piece!

Rufus lives with 3 cats and a grey hound,weve recently moved in with my partner, Rufus and the cats have a loving relationship and the grey hound is 9 now but still enjoys roofies youthful outlook, a strong bond between them is lovely.

So Rufus has been a bit down over the last week, although his bright eyes are still there to greet me everyday, but yesterday we noticed he was acting strangly.
we checked his right eye, which looks cloudly and he dosnt seem to be able focus with this eye, we covered his good eye this morning and he sat there looking very lost, we waved and did a jig but no response at all.

Although we focused on the right eye, he has now over the course of the day seems to be struggling, weve played and hes happy.

We tested rufus by throwing his toy, my partner lay on the floor and rufus ran straight into him with a thud.

This broke my heart and i realised my bright eyed boy was not so bright eyed anymore.

Rufus is happy and safe, but im so fearful now for him.

He has his regular groom tomorrow which i will now stay for and an appointment with the vets, but i would love any feedback anyone has to offer, as this is so sudden,as far as im aware theres been no trauma to the eyes and hes had no sight issues recently.

Thanks in advance

Stephiewoo xx
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Re: PLEASE HELP RUFUS AGED 3 AND 7 MONTHS SUDDEN BLINDNESS :

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Oh Steph how awful for Rufus and for you, sorry I can't be of any help to you, I can only wish you both all the best and hope all works out ok in the end.
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
stephiewoo
Puppy

Post by stephiewoo »

Thank you so much, i have in the last hour done a lot of reading, im still sad but feeling more positive now about our future ) x
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Welcome to the forum.

Being blind isn't the end of the world for Rufus although it is very sad. I can think of two dogs already on the forum that are blind, Mouse & Prue. Have a search for one of Eddie's posts about Mouse, it really will reassure you. It is this one: http://www.schnauzer-forum.co.uk/viewto ... 49&t=10671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope that your vet can also give you some comfort and maybe even some hope.

Have you had Rufus's eyes checked annually? Did you get him from a KC Assured breeder and have you spoken to them?

Do come back and let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
mummysnoo
First Name: Frances
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 09 Oct 2009

Post by mummysnoo »

Welcome, and how I wish it were under nicer circumstances, but don't despair until you know for definite, I know its one of the problems with Schnauzers but until you get it checked by the Vet, don't worry too much.

Dogs can cope with things we usually cannot, so don't give up, hope is a good thing, please keep in touch, that's what we are all here for. For the love of Schnauzers and all it entails, including the ups and the down. Fingers and paws crossed from Alfie and me.
SCHNAUZERS ARE LIKE CHIPS, ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH...........

Alfie my black Mini boy born 9th Oct 2009, my pal, my mentor, my friend.

R.I.P Charlie, Harvey and Bobby. R.I.P Oscar, Alfie's Grandad 15.12.12
stephiewoo
Puppy

Post by stephiewoo »

Thank you to all have replied so far. I'm feeling so much more hopeful for the future, just adds a little more to his already quirky personality!
I've not had his eyes checked annually as he's had vet checks almost every time he needs his shampoo.
I feel a bit better, rufus is fine of course, a few bumps here and there, but still manages to go out via the catflap!
Patch is helpful, guiding him about with his stinky greyhound bottom, so rufus will always know where he is! Hehe
But really, thank you so much for being there, a new journey for me and Roofie xx
frazers mam
First Name: ANN
Dog #1: Barney
Born: 22 Mar 2008
Dog #2: Jake
Born: 02 May 2011

Post by frazers mam »

Hi Steph,
Hope you get little Rufus sorted tomorrow at the vets, fingers and toes crossed, please let us know what happens, :ymhug: :ymhug:
ANN
Barney born 22nd March 2008 s & p mini, Jake born 2nd May 2011 s & p mini

Frazer 14 year old mini gone to Rainbow Bridge 15th April 2011 Run free little man
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your boy.

I'd definitely wait to see what the vet says. If they can't come up with any answers inquire to see if there are any local BVA eye clinics near you. They could maybe shed some light on things.
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

I do hope you get Rufus sorted out at the vets and let us know how everything goes, sending healing hugs from me and my gang.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

How worrying but don't despair, even if he has lost his sight there may be things that might be done. Our Susie-Belle had a new lens in her blind eye (due to cataract) before she came to us and there are others here on the forum who have had this done. But as already said, blindness in dogs can be lived with as others here know from experience.

Let us know how you get on.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
stephiewoo
Puppy

Post by stephiewoo »

Booked in at 12 today, he's doing grand to be fair, looks funny though when he stares at me and both eyes are in different directions!
Will keep you updated. xx
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

All the very best for the vets appointment today, I really hope everything goes ok.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

Hope it all goes well today & you can get some answers & support.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

goodness what a worry! wishing you the best today at the vets - its true there are a lot of members on here who should be able to empathise and inform you on this. let us know and fingers crossed :-*
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
disneysigntalker
First Name: Julia
Dog #1: Inca
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Feb 2011
Dog #2: NED
Born: 24 Jan 2013

Post by disneysigntalker »

Good luck, our last Schnauzer lost her sight, but she learnt to cope, and where furniture was etc etc

just makes you love them even more if possible.
let us know how you get on.

Jules