New Puppy & First days advice?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Stuart1969
Puppy
First Name: Stuart

New Puppy & First days advice?

Post by Stuart1969 »

Hi There
We pick Darcie up in 2 weeks and are obviously very excited and are keen to do the correct things by her. We have brought a large enough Crate for her, reading some of the crate training guides it says that it may take a few days to get her used to the Crate? What do we do until then, just leave her downstairs free to roam the kitchen? Just after your thoughts as we are keen to do the correct things for her?

Thanks
Stuart
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: New Puppy & First days advice?

Post by jacdales »

If the breeder has already crate trained her their won't be a problem, You can leave a radio on very low at night they find it soothing sometimes. When you first bring her home have the crate ready with her blanket. The breeder will give you one with the mothers sent on it. If not take one with you when you go to pick her up. I put my boy in the crate to travel home in but he was used to one at the breeders. When she gets tired place her in the crate to sleep with the door open and her favorite blanket /toy and a treat. She will soon come to think of it as her safe place. There will be others give you very good advice this is just what I found worked for me.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

As said by jacdales above, it will partly depend on whether or not the breeder has already introduced Darcie to a crate before she leaves with you. If she has no experience of a crate, it may take a little while to become used to it but you must start out as you mean to continue with her. Puppies are often more anxious when left in a large open space than if they have a safe den to settle down and sleep, so crate training should not take long and is well worth doing as there are many situations such as vet visits, car travel and when staying at a hotel for example where using a crate will be necessary or certainly useful.

A favourite soft toy, a familiar blanket and a pee pad or waterproof training pad in case of accidents can be put in the crate and, as said above, offer a treat before leaving her. Puppies respond well to routine and, if you can start a routine of regular rest periods through the day (two hours rest to one hour activity approximately initially) you can get Darcie used to using a crate through the day as well as at night.

We found the puppy training pads from this company very useful in the crate as they are washable and the puppies are less likely to chew them up which they often do with the paper based puppy pads.:
https://www.nappypantsfordogs.com/water ... s-85-c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are two good downloadable guides for new puppy owners on this link too:
https://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

How exciting for you.

I found feeding all treats and meals in the crate from day one a good way of making the crate enjoyable for a pup.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

Hi Stuart, I'm as far as I can of being an expert (still feel pretty lost actually), but I had that same experience a few days ago.
The breeder told me she would be more comfortable in a crate as she would feel more safe in a small place, and as soon as I got home I discovered she wouldn't, she was more stressful in the crate and she was calmed in the living room. So we took our guest room and put a safety fence (like the ones you use for babies) in the doorway, and that became her room. We put her bed, a blanket, some toys and water in there. In the night, we close the fence, and she sleeps there. It's a small space but not as small as a crate, and in there she feels good. She didn't even cry the first night. What I mean is that I'm learning that sometimes the puppies have their own ideas and you have to improvise hahaha
Now, ten days later, she doesn't want to pee or poo in her room, so she goes to our bathroom as we keep training her outside, I found this very funny.
Stuart1969
Puppy
First Name: Stuart

Post by Stuart1969 »

thanks all, really appreciate the advice and coming back to me