Allergies to Dogs Considering Mini-Advice please!

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
SharM
First Name: Sharon

Allergies to Dogs Considering Mini-Advice please!

Post by SharM »

Hello! I’m new to the forum :) my son (4y old) is allergic to dogs (breaks out into hives and his eyes swell shut with heavily shedding dogs). We really want a dog for our family (if possible) and are considering a mini (as rhey’re known for being better with allergy sufferers). I know it’s not the fur, but the dander that causes his allergies.

My question is, are any of you (or especially children in your family) allergic to dogs in general, and have a mini and are ok?

I’m trying to hold out hope we can get a family dog! I don’t want to get a pup and return it (that would be sad for everyone inc the pup)

Thanks so much!!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Allergies to Dogs Considering Mini-Advice please!

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sharon, I am allergic to dogs that shed. I don't have a problem with my mini except if his fur is in my face or around my neck or around the inside of my arms when playing for example. Then my neck or that area goes red and itchy. He doesn't give me itchy eyes though but I suppose he might if his hair was near on my eyes, it is just when his fur touches my face and neck really.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

It is impossible really to generalise about a particular breed being "hypoallergenic" although some breeds are considered a lower risk than others:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice ... erers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The poodle is probably the best known breed for being suitable for those with allergies to other dogs and it was because of this that the initial cross-breeding was carried out with the labrador by a breeder trying to produce a dog suitable for working with blind / disabled people who had allergies to dogs. However, even carefully planned selective cross breeding did not result in 100% "hypoallergenic " puppies and only a few did have this trait.

Years ago, we were approached by a lady whose son suffered as you describe with your boy really extreme reactions to dogs and she hoped a miniature schnauzer would be alright as they really wanted a dog for the family. We took one of our mini schnauzers to meet the family to see how it went with the boy but within 12 hours of the meeting he was badly affected (temporarily) and it was clear that in this case, it was not going to work out. It is not to say that another miniature schnauzer might not have been OK but certainly he had reacted to ours.

I think the only safe and realistic way to approach this would be to try and find a breeder of one of the breeds of dog known to be better for allergy sufferers and explain the situation and, when they have a litter of pups, see if you can introduce one to your son and see how things go from there. The problem (which was highlighted by the man who was crossbreeding to produce a hypoallergenic dog ) is that even within the same litter you could have a puppy that was fine and others that were not. The reaction can be to dander or saliva and either can be shed in small quantities around the house.

As the article linked above points out, it may be possible to find a dog that is absolutely fine for a household with a person that has allergies but it will mean careful and patient research, establishing a good relationship with a breeder and, when you have the puppy, keeping them well groomed and clean all the time. The best breeders will be committed to supporting a new puppy family and taking back a puppy if there is a crisis or something like the allergy reaction which mean that the puppy would be best in a different home. Do not be drawn into buying a puppy of any breed without really getting to know the breeder and full discussion of your situation and avoid anyone who says a breed as a whole is hypoallergenic and any puppy they sell you will be fine.

I do feel for you in your situation and do not give up hope of getting a family dog but do try to research a range of breeds and, if you have the opportunity to visit Discover Dogs or a similar event where you can speak to owners of different breeds face to face, see the dogs and explain your situation, you may have a good chance of finding the right match for your family:

http://www.discoverdogs.org.uk/content/ ... og-breeds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck in your search :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Welcome aboard Sharon.
I've had dogs all my life but have had to be careful with my choices as I'm also very allergic to several things..cats,golden retrievers ,German shepherd ..you get the idea,long coated dogs make my throat closedown,and eyes itch etc..I've had asthma as a child and am also allergic to penicillin,antiinflammatories,and many creams and perfumes......if I use bleach in my home,my tongue will blister... :(
And yet,I've had some wonderful dogs...in the last twenty years ,three standard poodles and a mini schnauzer...the last four dogs have been brought up with two sons who are also cat and long haired dog allergic..yet fine with my two current breeds..
I take the time to bath each dog weekly,groom daily,keep the schnauzers coat really short with weekly stripping and neither dog has any odour or provokes a reaction...
If I let the bath slip to ten days I do find my eyes begin to itch and have to address this.
I recently met a friend who has two large mini schnauzers ,kept in rough coat and clipped every few months...I stroked both dogs and then went back to my car....on the way home I had a big allergic response,my hands and face itched badly and eyes swelled..I had to stop driving,get wet wipes out and wipe down face and hands...I was very surprised how much I reacted and it proves you do have to bath and strip regularly if you want to cohabit with a dog when you have allergies.

So I'd suggest you visit a breeder,see how your son gets on with the dog..but also be prepared to learn to bath and strip the coat ,and hopefully it will be possible to have a happy outcome for your son.
Just be aware it's likely the breeders dogs won't all be newly washed etc so you could have some reaction...ask to touch a recently bathed one..
Of the two breeds I think the poodle would be the easiest to clip short and keep in weekly bathing routine when you have a small child...but you'd also have to meet one to see if you both like the breed.
SharM

Post by SharM »

Thank you for all your comments, they’re much appreciated! I found a breeder that I like, but she also has a boarding kennel, with other dogs playing with her dogs. So I didn’t bring him when I went to visit, because of the other dog breeds. Her girl just had a little of puppies and I will be visiting them when they’re around 5 weeks. I will bring my son then.

I was planning on giving weekly baths (if we do get a pup and introduce a diet rich in protein and some fish oils to keep the skin in good condition. Also investing in a hepa filter/air purifier.

On another note, is there a difference between hand stripping and clipping when it comes to allergies?

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to advise! :)

I will also c
nickynoo
Puppy
First Name: Nicky

Post by nickynoo »

I am allergic to cats, horses, dogs and dust. I get itchy throat and swollen eyes. I have found with our mini that i have very little reaction. However, i wear a dust mask when i groom him. Stripping the coat is ok, but any areas that are clipped could be more problematic as you get little bits of hair flying around, hence the dust mask. Even though i knew this breed did not shed, ive been so surprised that not a single hair seems to come off. I feel having him has helped my allergy response too, maybe helping me be less sensitive. He has brought loads of joy into our lives and so far the children have had no allergic reaction. If you can borrow one for a few hours this might help. There is no way of telling but id say dont give up hope. I also find less reaction to puppies, so i think that helped me adjust having a dog in the house, gaving him from 9 weeks.
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Hi

Speaking from experience, I am allergic to cats, horses, rabbits, dust, pollen....(loads of other things food wise and animal wise) and also, most dogs (even mixed breeds that are supposedly non shed; cockapoo, labradoodle etc).

We chose the Mini Schnauzer as a breed least likely to irritate me and we also loved everything about them! I was still very concerned that i would be the exception to the rule and still be allergic. However, i can report, nearly 4 years later, that i am absolutely fine with ours. I cuddle him all the time, snuggle my face in him and no adverse effects!

Hope this helps.

x
paulad
Puppy
First Name: Paula

Post by paulad »

Hi there. I'm allergic and put off having dogs for years. I'm 46. My kids constantly nagged for a dog. After alot of research we got Flora our mini. Had her a year now. I'm ok with her 99% of the time but occasionally I need to take an antihistamine. This may not be down to her at all as I have hayfever too. She doesn't come upstairs just as an extra precaution. We joined borrow my doggy and walked a schnauzer before we took the plunge just to test my allergies. We wouldn't be without her. Just do your homework, try and spend some time with a schnauzer first.good luck they really are lovely little dogs x
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

Hi Sharon,

My boyfriend is allergic to cats and dogs, being the cat allergy more severe. We tried to have a cat a few years ago, we adopted him because my boyfriend spent the whole day in the shelter with a lot of cats and he didn't have any reaction, and after two weeks at home he started to have allergy and a very bad one, as he had asthmatic episodes and couldn't breath, I was about to call emergency twice. So one week later we had to return the cat to the shelter. After that he was tested for allergies and he was allergic to cats and dogs, being dogs less severe, but we didn't want to try again, returning the cat was awful for me.
So last year we decided to try with a dog and we bought a mini schnauzer because of the allergy thing. My boyfriend didn't have any problem at all since Harriet is at home, but we did a few things just in case, things we are changing now the weeks are passing without any sign of allergy. Our room is free of Harriet, just in case, we wanted to have a place where he could sleep safely even if he had some allergy. I always brush Harriet, he never does, and I do it outside the house (as an extra you can do it everyday after the afternoon walk). For the first weeks I washed the bed and blankets once a week, now I saw there is no allergy I don't do it anymore XDDDD I read a humidifier might help, we didn't get one. But we do have a Roomba and we use it everyday.
SharM

Post by SharM »

Thanks again for all your replies! You’ve given me some much needed hope :)