At what age is a Mini fully grown physically?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Tulip

Re: At what age is a Mini fully grown physically?

Post by Tulip »

Did you go up to the judge after with your breed standard?! ;)
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

No there some very suspect placings...but thats a story for another thread
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Tulip wrote:Did you go up to the judge after with your breed standard?! ;)
No but we did have a nice chat about Daisy, and he was appreciative of her, even though she licked his nose! And said she did very very well for her first show.

I didn't get chance, it was busy, and so hot... so so so hot.

Had a nice chat about it all with a lady who's on the forum, who promises to post more!!

( I know you're reading this!! You know who you are :P )
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm glad to hear you're making an impression, it's really important to make those contacts and talk to people, otherwise a few years down the line when you want a show puppy from a breeder, they'll say 'Well how do I know you'll show the best puppy I have, I haven't seen or talked to you in the ring before.'. Not to mention it's really helpful and lovely to chat to other Schnauzerer!

I didn't mean to sound accusive, I just had this vision of you marching up with your breed standard! I'm glad Daisy had fun, too!
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

Back on topic...I was really interesting to see all the different variation in height especially with the dogs yesterday
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Hahaha - Don't think I wouldn't.

Been chatting about it in ringcraft tonight, it's not just Schnauzers, all breeds are doing it - but in the Airedales some people are starting to 'fight back' against suspect placings, and have literally been stood ringside with breed standards and making sure the judges aren't placing their friends, and a couple of times a judge has had to explain themselves and been sacked!

Or so they said....

@Tom - it was wasn't it! But then, when you get a bunch of Schnau's together, it's not just height they vary in, it's amaing how different they all are to one another!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

You sound much more advanced than I was at my first show, Lauren; I was like 'THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!' until I looked carefully, lol!
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Really? Eegads no, they're all so different, some are pale, some are really dark, some are a completely random colour!

Some have nice straight tails, some have tails like pugs, some are tall, some are short, some have lots of big fluffy furnishings, other are harsher and 'woolly', some have more beards than others, eyebrows are done differently, some have ears practically on top of their heads, others have beagle ears, etc etc.

So many differences!

But then, I've been in the show worl for about 10 yers, you get an eye - you'v probs got it now you know a bit more.

Try looking at Newfs to tell the difference! That's hard haha - they really don't vary much!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

The schnauzer walks show variations too I have noticed that Ralphy is quite little but fairly evenly proportioned and for example how chunky the Kray twins are that belong to "Dianep" - my favourite shape on a schnauzer.

Ralphy has been the same height for about a year perhaps but has chunked out a little bit in his second year so I know what people mean about height versus width in later years (with regards to fully grown timescales)- proportion rather than fat! lol although they can all but try
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

I'd love to meet Ralphy IRL - everyone says how cute and ickle he is, I wants a teeny tiny Schnuggle!

When you back oop north? :P
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

I'm trying to organise a trip up as my BFF lives there but with diesel costs it's difficult and she can't come down here as her choccy lab doesn't travel well at all :-(

I will let you know though, it'd be nice to have another Delamere walk and perhaps with a bigger crowd! You'll know on FB or here anyway :-)

He is very dwtty ^_^
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Well if you ever need a place to crash we have a spare room! (when our housemate isn't here)

Delamere was a great walk - or perhaps somewhere else, Snowdonia for example :D
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Ooooh, I'd be up for Snowdonia... It can't be that far from here, can it?
>
>
>
>
Apparently it is. 2.5 to 4 hours depending on where in Snowdonia. How did Wales get that big!?! (question)
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Lol Elaine!

Yes Lauren, lots of studying has been done of pedigrees and names so now I know a few dogs just by eye and found I could recognise them at Crufts quite easily. It's lots of fun to dog watch!

Sian, Ralphy is teeny! He and Maisy were the same size (I think he was only like, an inch taller?!)!

Here's Maisy with Murf (Stacey's mini) and I think his name was Luis? The only P/S Giant I've met!

And diddy Ralphy with Dawn's beautiful Jasper!

daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Awww little teeny tiny dogs!

Lovely :D

Cara - I'd be well up for Snowdonia walk sometime soonish - my OH has ALL of August off (hoorah for dating educators) and so we're free throughout.

I'll post a thread :D