lump in groin area

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
lewinky
Puppy
First Name: lynn
Dog #1: Lily
Born: 24 Dec 2018

lump in groin area

Post by lewinky »

I discovered a lump last night on Lily, my 5 year old mini. It's in her groin area, above her vulva. There was had a slight discharge from it . This morning the discharge was worse, looked liked pus, so we took her to the emergency vet. The lump is a large pea size and has this discharge. He gave her antibiotics and a steroid injection and told us to visit our vet tomorrow so that she could check it out and monitor and thought it might be a tumour which really frightened me. He gave us antiseptic wash which we used and the discharge is still there, but not as extreme as it was this morning.
We're going to our vet tomorrow but wondered if anyone else has had this in their dog?
She doesn't seem to be in any pain but is not quite herself.
Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who might have had similar as Googling the problem is really scarey.
Jamuot
First Name: Samantha
Dog #1: Jack
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Dog #2: Otto
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Dog #3: Murphy
is a: Black Mini Dog

Re: lump in groin area

Post by Jamuot »

The only experience I have had is with cysts but they sound similar to this. Beau, our 1st schnauzer, had quite a few in his lifetime. The main one appeared on his chest one day and it appeared to be leaking fluid - we too thought it was a tumour and phoned an emergency vet but while we were getting ready to leave the lump burst open and it was horrible. The vet examined it and more fluid and gunk came out and they did a biopsy and it was a cyst probably from a hair that had grown inwards.

Beau had to have another biopsy a few years on for another lump and this too turned out to be a cyst so they accepted after that any lumps and bumps were ok if they looked similar.

I wouldn't have thought a tumour would have leaked fluid but I'm no expert - I do hope you get on ok tomorrow and please let us know how Lily gets on :ymhug:
Samantha, Andrew and our ASBO mini schnauzers
Jack, Otto and Murphy

Our first schnauzer and first ever dog, Beau passed away 2nd June 2010 aged 12 years
lewinky
Puppy
First Name: lynn
Dog #1: Lily
Born: 24 Dec 2018

Post by lewinky »

My mini, also called Lily had this in the exact same place. We took her to the vet and it was a grass seed. She had been running through the sand dunes and one had got stuck and was causing an infection.
The seed was removed and all cleared with antibiotics.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Lumps are always a bit of a worry...this sounds like a sebaceous cyst ,due to the discharge,and if not expressed properly by the vet,or removed ,will probably refill once again. The vet should have taken some of the discharge and looked at the cells under a microscope...if it was a fatty cyst the cells are very obvious( round,fat and glistening).
The mention of a tumor was probably due to the ventral position,with mammary tumors in mind. tHese usually start off small like a pea,and don't usually discharge until they become ulcerated ,over a period of time,due to the dog licking.they are found along the mammary line..so run your finger along the line and see if this is a one off.if this is a tumor they will remove the lump and biopsy it.
for now, I would keep disinfecting the area..betadine is good. I would return to your normal vet if this lump changes,more for your peace of mind. The steroid injection was OTT and not usual in either scenario.
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

This does sound like a cyst or infection. A tumor wouldn't likely leak. I'm sure its nothing serious.
Gary