Lunging & barking on the Lead

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Catarina
First Name: Catharine

Lunging & barking on the Lead

Post by Catarina »

I wonder if anyone can help?

We have a six month old mini (Merlin, entire male) who started puppy classes at 10 weeks old. He is wonderful and friendly with all people, children and other dogs and is good at 'sit' and recall. About 8 weeks ago we adopted another mini schnauzer that we have babysat for the last few years (Alfie, castrated male). We introduced them slowly and after about 6 weeks they are best of friends. Alfie is equally friendly with people and other dogs off the lead.

The problem is on the lead - Merlin always gets very excited when he sees other dogs on the lead, pulling and barking like mad. Alfie has now learned this behaviour and now also does it (but Alfie doesn't really bark at all when he's walked on his own). It is getting really embarrassing that whenever I see any other dogs when they are on the lead they go berserk, people look at me as if they are awful dogs! And I know I am getting anxious which only makes matters worse.

With Merlin I think it is sheer excitement, but with Alfie I think it is protection over Merlin (once when they were off the lead Merlin got cornered by a playful beagle - not aggressive - and Alfie shot in to protect him and ward off the beagle).

I have tried trying to break their attention with treats and a squeaky toy and attempting to get them to sit, but I cannot get their attention until the other dog has gone....

Please help, they are so perfect in every other way but it is making me dread our walks in case I see other dogs!

We are intending to get Merlin castrated when he's about 1 which might help?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Lunging & barking on the Lead

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Puppies between the age of six months to a year ( or even longer in some cases :D ) are going through their adolescent phase when, however well trained they have been, they will start testing boundaries, acting as though they have never learned good behaviour and can get some owners despairing as to what has happened. Sadly it is between the ages of six months and a year that many dogs are abandoned or put into rescue as the owners feel unable to cope. However, it is a phase - adolescence is just as trying with children I believe - and Merlin will eventually remember his training and settle down as he matures.

As regards castration, this is definitely not a certainty to affect the behaviour that you describe and, from experience with having young male dogs neutered, it does not always even affect their desire to mate although it does ensure they cannot reproduce!! Without a doubt un-neutered adolescent males do experience hormonal surges which may be underlying their unsocial behaviour at times but do not rely on castration to solve the problem. One of the reasons why people looking for a second puppy are advised not to get a second until the first is past a year old is because of the difficulties families can experience with young dogs at this phase in their development - it is best to wait until the adolescent phase is over.

Do keep up with the distraction techniques with Merlin when out on walks but,personally, given that he is going through adolescence which is having a detrimental effect on Alfie's behaviour when they are walked together, I would take them separately until you can be confident that Merlin will remain calm on lead. Over excitement and barking when on lead are not unusual with many dogs and miniature schnauzers can be particularly prone to this. I am sure with continued training and with maturity, Merlin will settle but, unless you are able to concentrate on him when walking, the distraction techniques are going to be almost impossible to carry out effectively. It would be a shame to have Alfie become less good on lead due to Merlin's boisterous behaviour and it sounds as though walking them has become a stressful rather than enjoyable experience.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
annie_a

Post by annie_a »

Oscar was a year old on Saturday (31st oct) & is very barky/growly to other dogs when on lead (fine when off lead).
Conversations on this forum & with my pet sitter and a 121 session with my dog trainer haven't made a huge amount of difference.
I think the key is consistency. Distract in advance with a treat or the 'look at me' command. And if he's already started then break the gaze by physically getting in the way or turning him away. Reward if you manage to get past a dog with no noise.
I can only hope time will help with this. It is wearing, I sympathise.
Lewis
First Name: Diane
Dog #1: Lewis
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Jan 2015

Post by Lewis »

Lewis is 9 months old and has started doing this again - we had a quiet phase for a while but back to pulling and high pitched excited yapping when we meet other dogs. I do the watch me and treat if he's quiet. If he gets chance to meet and greet them he's fine right away and starts to ignore them. Lewis was castrated a week ago and this has made no difference as yet and don't think it will. I'm relying in the whole adolescent phase thing and just keeping going with the training! Good luck! :)
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I can confirm that neutering will not stop the problem! We had it before with Creggan and we still have it now, a year after neutering :(

I have to be vigilant on walks and watch for certain people, and any other digs, coming towards us if they are on lead as Creggan will start lunging and squealing and then Rodders will join in.

What works for me is to gather them up in to short leads so they only have about a foot free and talk to them saying no barking all the time. It doesn't always work, sometimes we have to turn around and walk the other way.

In Creggan's case it is excitement, he wants to say hello (except for the lady jogger!) but I won't allow him to while he is carrying on. If he can control himself and stay calm he does get to say hello.

With Rodders he is protecting Creggan as he doesn't make a sound if he is on his own.

Off lead they both meet and greet nicely. I do only allow them to stop and say a quick hello before moving them on though, unless it is a dog we know well ;)

We won't talk about how Creggan behaves when he meets his brother!
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Catarina
First Name: Catharine

Post by Catarina »

Thank you everyone, I already feel a lot better knowing I am not the only one suffering with this and it's not necessarily something I have done wrong! Sounds like perseverance is they key! I'll keep practising with the distraction technique and will definitely try and walk them separately as much as I can. Fingers crossed I see some improvement.

This forum is great! Nice to know I can come here to ask questions :)
annie_a

Post by annie_a »

Meant to add that Oscar was neutered at 6 months so that definitely hasn't made much difference to his behaviour in that respect.