eating poo

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
moreno510
First Name: Scott

eating poo

Post by moreno510 »

Our 2nd Mini

Bitch, 6 months

is mostly toilet trained, she seems to be able to hold in pee until outside but occasionally poos in a particular area in the house

this is later than our first mini, who by 6 months was pretty much completely toilet trained

bigger problem being that she eats what she has just deposited, she seems to know what she's doing is wrong as she hides once it's been noticed

has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, how did you solve it

I've heard that pineapple can be good for putting them off eating poo, also that tree barks powder might be an idea, which we used previously after our older dog had colitis
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: eating poo

Post by Robin black mini »

my girl has two poos a day..am and afternoons..I can predict when she will want to go and stay in the garden with her until she's done the deed and then clean up at once..
If not in the garden ,she will poo on her walk..we keep a check so as to let her have more time on a walk if she's not already gone in the garden..
IN your dogs case ,i would keep her routine regular and as soon as she's pooed ,clean up..lots of praise...once a dog gets into the habit of eating its poo it becomes a difficult habit to break. Perhaps you can offer a couple of pieces of kibble as a reward when she's been ,and she then looks to this rather than the poo..
At six months she could be coming into season ( my girl was 6 m ) and sometimes good habits can go awry.. Check on her lady parts for any swelling.
Re pineapple..it is written that pineapple fed to a dog will be distasteful to the dog when it finds pieces in it's poo. ....but honestly ,isn't it easier to pick up as soon as the dog has performed rather than leaving the poo on the ground to be eaten?
I realise you may be watching her like a hawk and she's faster than you,but you have to beat her to the poo and then reward her with praise or a bit of kibble,to break this habit...I'm not implying you are not picking up as I do know some dogs that will swing round to eat poo as soon as it lands..probably bad habits at the breeders have instilled this into the pup.

Re..elm bark........the slippery elm is a powder offered for an inflamed intestine..to sooth a dogs gut who has diarrhea..it is not a cure for poo eaters.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: eating poo

Post by zeta1454 »

I agree with Jo that there is very little you can do to stop a dog eating poo if they are inclined to do so and you will need to be vigilant about picking up after she goes. If she is not yet reliable as regards house training, you may have to keep her confined to a playpen or similar if you cannot keep an eye on her. If she is using one particular spot in the house, try to ensure she does not have access to this place as she may have developed a habit of thinking it OK to use it.

How do you react (or have reacted in the past) when she has pooed in the house? It could be that her hiding is not because she knows she has done something wrong but that she is afraid or anxious of your reaction which is a slightly different thing :D

Some dogs do naturally grow out of this habit but it really is a question of trying to know when she needs to go - making sure you are with her when she goes and picking it up :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/