Morning sickness

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
RTWI
Puppy
First Name: RTW

Morning sickness

Post by RTWI »

I wonder if any owners can shed some light on this....

9 month old puppy has suddenly started throwing up very small amounts of bile at about 3am most days! Have taken him to the vet and all well, nothing untoward going on, he is eating well, bowels all fine, happy in himself! Vet is not concerned about it though if anyone has experienced anything similar I would like any advice you may be able to give....

It is getting quite tiring being woken up at 3am everyday to clear the bile up! He is a very clean dog and it needs clearing up NOW :)

Thank you
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Morning sickness

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi there,

What time is his last feed? My Oscar suffered on and off with bile in the morning (not that early though) and I fixed it by feeding a small amount of food immediately before bedtime and/or a little piece of dry biscuit when he first gets up. He never had it again. It was caused by too much acid.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Watson occasionally has this first thing in the morning. Sometimes there is even a little bile on his bedding in the morning.

We have found that it has a lot to do with feed times. If we feed them early in the afternoon, if we are going out for example, we may have a little bile in the morning. Similarly, if he waits too long for his breakfast, we have bile in the morning.

It also appears to happen mostly in the Spring, when the days start getting longer.

I am also assuming at 9 months, you have started changing when and how much you feed him. Maybe give him something to eat just before bedtime, so that he doesn't have an empty stomach for too long.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I have had that problem with my dogs on occasion. A bonio at bed time usually helped.