Moving home

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
reCOGnise
Puppy
First Name: Tom

Moving home

Post by reCOGnise »

Hi all,

We're moving home in a couple weeks time, looking for some advice for the move with respect to the dog to make it as seamless and stress-less as possible for Albie?

The house we're moving into currently has 2 dogs, not sure if thats a good or bad thing?

Any advice is appreciated!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Moving home

Post by Maty »

One of the most important things is to keep Archie safe on moving day. There are usually lots of people around, not all known to the dog, and lots of opening and closing of doors.

It may be an idea to let Archie stay with someone he knows on the day or in kennels. Once you are ready for him to come home make sure there are some familiar things like his bed, toys etc at the ready. He will be quite happy as long as he has you there and will probably settle quickly.

Hopefully, as they already have dogs, the garden will be secure but it is worth checking it properly to keep Alfie safe.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Re: Moving home

Post by Nika C »

We moved in January, Branock spent the day with my nan (being fed buttered toast - boy did we pay for that!), I definitely think hanging out with a friend or family member for the day is the least stressful option all around! Or a sitter, we used one when we went to a wedding, cost us about £15 for the day and I would absolutely use her again if needed.
We had Bran's beds out for when we get home and he had a couple of new toys to help distract him.
There were cats in our house previously and we'd expected Branock might want to mark the house a bit, but we went over the floors with a biological cleaner before he came back and he didn't try to mark at all. :-)
Good luck with the move!