Puppy colour

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
ChristinSletten
Puppy
First Name: christin

Puppy colour

Post by ChristinSletten »

Hi!

I'm getting a pepper/salt puppy in a week or so. She is clearly pepper/salt, and quite light already. However her face is still quite dark, so I'm worried that she won't have that characteristic light/white beard. I have read both on this forum and elsewhere that they do change a lot in colour over the first year and I've seen photos of puppies with dark faces turning white in their beard quite quickly. What's your experiences with this? (*)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Puppy colour

Post by Robin black mini »

Do you have photos of the parents? Have you the pedigree ?..if so have a look at the grand parents too..this will give you a clearer idea of the lines and colour in your pups pedigree.

I wouldn't be worried about a darker coloured pup if the colour you like is there in the pedigree.it should come through.
ChristinSletten
Puppy
First Name: christin

Post by ChristinSletten »

Yes, both parents have white beards, so I assume it will be fine. Also, around the puppy's nose, there is white "undercoat" so I assume this will continue to grow.
I have not seen the grandparents, but I have the pedigree.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Google their names and look at images...you may find them ...or google other names in the pedigree...I've done this for most of my dogs pedigree,it's really interesting to see their origins...my girl is Russian,Belgian with Spanish too..I find pedigree searches really interesting.
akuma_desu
Puppy
First Name: Akuma
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 05 Aug 2016

Post by akuma_desu »

I might not be of much help, but my girl was very dark until she was around 4 months old. I even got one old guy on the street tell me she's not a schnauzer, lol. I was trying my best to convince him she really is a purebred schnauzer, but he wouldn't have any of it. She's now almost a year old and she's very much your typical salt and pepper standard.

For comparison: 2 months old - 10 months old.

Sent from my Redmi 3S