Puppy Culture after 8 weeks?

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
klwurth
Puppy
First Name: Kelly

Puppy Culture after 8 weeks?

Post by klwurth »

I just read here about the Puppy Culture method. We've already selected a breeder (who seems to socialize the puppies in home, but doesn't follow Puppy Culture), and our new puppy is four weeks old. We'll pick him up in four more.

As an owner, would it pay for me to purchase and follow the Puppy Culture videos, even though the first eight weeks will be decided by the time Maxwell Bärchen comes home to us? I'm suspecting it would be beneficial, but I'd like to hear from owners who've had a non-Puppy Culture-breeder pup, but who then implemented the plan at eight weeks or so. Did it work well for you, or does it depend heavily on the first eight weeks of the program? In other words, has the Puppy Culture ship sailed? ;)

I've had one mini Schnauzer and she was a delight (we lost her to kidney failure), but we got her at 4 months, and didn't have the chance to bond with or guide her early on, as we will with Maxwell. I'd like to get started with a good program for this new pup, to help train through anxiety, socialization and stubbornness issues we had with our sweet girl when she came to us.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Kelly
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Puppy Culture after 8 weeks?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Kelly and welcome to the Forum :)

Are you in the U.K.? I just ask as most of the Forum members are in Britain and the Puppy Culture protocol is still a very new one here and there may not be many (or any) who could give you the specific feedback you asked for.

There are members of the Forum in the USA where Puppy Culture is better known but even then they may not be those who have initiated the plan with their puppies.

However, as a breeder and owner in the U.K. who does use Puppy Culture and having attended Jane Killion's seminar earlier this year, I would encourage you to either get the DVDs or stream the full plan as it is well worth watching and has a wealth of useful information on puppy development and training. Even if your puppy's breeder is not using Puppy Culture, many of the techniques are still applicable to training puppies at any age and they have been used with rescue dogs at some shelters as well as puppies from non PC breeders.

There is also an active and helpful Facebook page where you may be able to find some owners or would be owners in a similar position to you with regard to your puppy so it may be worthwhile checking that out too :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3836942 ... =bookmarks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
klwurth
Puppy

Post by klwurth »

Zeta1454,
Thanks for your reply! I'm in the US, in a rural area far from pet stores, puppy classes, dog trainers and even any city of significant size. I'm pretty much on my own with our oncoming Schnauzer, although he won't be our first...just our first one welcomed under the age of 4 months.

I appreciate your recommendation regarding Puppy Culture and have joined the Facebook page you mentioned. I love this forum. I'm learning many useful things about Schnauzer puppies and training. Thanks for all you do here! I realize it must be a big time commitment to moderate...

Best,

Kelly
klwurth
Puppy

Post by klwurth »

I thought I'd provide an update. Maxwell Bärchen has been with us for almost two weeks and is doing well. I did purchase and watch the Puppy Culture videos, and I'm so glad I did. It gave me a great sense of puppy development and strategies, even though we could only begin late in his seventh week.

I highly recommend the videos and the Facebook discussion group. The gentleness, training tips and developmental awareness I gained are priceless.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So glad to hear that you have found Puppy Culture helpful :-)

I really love watching the videos - have seen them several times and still find them wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/