just wrote a long question regarding my dogs health.

Need help using the forum. Then please ask here. We will be along shortly to give assistance about using the forum or questions about any of the features.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to ask questions about using the forum. Any specific issues relating to your dog can be raised in the appropriate section. All the advice will work on a desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unless specified, it has not been tested on tablets or smartphones.
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

just wrote a long question regarding my dogs health.

Post by Bracken 01 »

Posted a question it has disappeared. Help have you got it .
Bracken 01
Puppy

Re: just wrote a long question regarding my dogs health.

Post by Bracken 01 »

Hi everybody I will post this tonite if it kills me with frustration. Bracken has been taken to the vets he his 3 yrs old, he has been shaking his head since Sunday. Took him in Tuesday put him out the Vet couldn't see anything going on,also cleaned his teeth.
He his on metacalm and antibiotics.Still shaking his head but not so much. Could it be allergy related?.
Had this problem with my Last Schunzer but she had symptoms which were visiable.
Bracken tends to lift his head pushes it backwards and turns it, like as if there is something his on top of his head, and he his trying to flick it off. Any advice please.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Bracken 01 wrote:Posted a question it has disappeared. Help have you got it .
I'm sorry, It looks like it has gone. It happens if you hit preview rather than Submit. There is no way to recover it from our end.
Bracken 01 wrote:Hi everybody I will post this tonite if it kills me with frustration. Bracken has been taken to the vets he his 3 yrs old, he has been shaking his head since Sunday. Took him in Tuesday put him out the Vet couldn't see anything going on,also cleaned his teeth.
He his on metacalm and antibiotics.Still shaking his head but not so much. Could it be allergy related?.
Had this problem with my Last Schunzer but she had symptoms which were visiable.
Bracken tends to lift his head pushes it backwards and turns it, like as if there is something his on top of his head, and he his trying to flick it off. Any advice please.
It's sounds like what is commonly referred to as Star Gazing. Do a search on the forum. It comes all too frequently, unfortunately.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Annie..
How long has this been happening?The head flick back and head tremor is suggestive of a condition called star gazing..we've had several posts on this on the board so will try to link you to these..if the head turns continue,it's best to see a vet who is experienced in neural issues...
In the meantime ,I'd not put this dog on metacam..see the side effects.The second one,that I've highlighted states this drug can cause seizures,so it's the last thing to put your dog,with his current issues ,on.

METACAM?..Possible Side Effects

Meloxicam (Metacam) like other NSAIDs may cause some side effects. The most common side effects of Meloxicam involve digestive issues such as vomiting and decrease appetite. Other possible side effects of Meloxicam include:
Change in bowl movements (black, tarry or bloody stools or diarrhea)

!!!Change in behavior (increased or decrease activity level, incoordination, seizure, or aggression)!!!!

Jaundice (yellowing of gums, skin or whites of eyes)
Increase water consumption or urination changes (frequency, color, or smell)
Skin irritation (redness, scabs, or scratching)
Stomach ulcers may occur
Unexpected weight loss
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

search.php?keywords=Star+gazing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a read through these old posts on star gazing...many have suggested a link between recent use of pesticides,flea treatments etc...could this be a factor for your boy?
In some cases it was as simple as overfull anal glands causing the dog to keep turning his head back...there could be pain issues ,etc..best to get a neuro checkup if he continues.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I know you said no visible signs but I just thought I'd share.
I thought Barney was starting with star gazing a while ago. He was certainly doing the weird head movements as well as sniffing as though something there. Nothing visible, next day he was doing it again, another inspection revealed a hot spot starting just below his ear. He could smell it but nothing was visible straight away and he didn't scratch or anything to give any signs of something wrong.

Might be worth giving a good check over. His hot spots cleared then he started with the head movements again. Sure enough hot spot back.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Bracken 01
Puppy

Post by Bracken 01 »

Thank you all for replying. Since having Bracken I chose to go non chemical so no flea treatments that might be linked to star gazing, I have read and looked on You Tube at Star gazing and I don't think this his is problem, well I hope.
He does turn his head around and sniff but this is usually linked with his annual glands.
Dawn Spell could you tell me more about Barney's hot spot?and his condition.
Bracken has a little nick in his left ear which he has had for about a month which won't heal properly and since he has been head shaking it hasn't stopped bleeding.The Vet doesn't think this is the cause of the head shaking, but just another issue.
I understand the concerns with metacam, he his only on it for 5 days so feel I have to give it a try, any side effect's and I will stop.(When he had his teeth cleaned one tooth was a bit infected). This seems a bit of a mystery at the moment Bracken comes from a highly respected Breeder and her main concerns where Health and Temprement but I know this doesn't mean a garenteed healthy dog for life.
Bracken seems his normal self apart from shaking his head when standing up,fine when sleeping or lying down.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes, hot spots can just happen at anytime and it seems anything can cause them, change in food, routine, stress, different shampoo allergy, just about anything.

They start off just looking like a sore but they can spread really quickly. The fur started to drop out as though his skin was peeling off. I shaved his whole check from ear, neck to his beard down to the skin and bathed three times a day with hibiscrub hoping they would clear. They did scab over but just wouldn't heal. He went to the vet who said I'd been doing the right thing which had stopped any infection setting in but it needed steroid cream to settle down the inflammation. After couple of days all was fine.

It doesn't sound like Bracken has a hot spot if hes had the sore that long they flare up really quick, but it could be like Barney and be smelling the sore. What is weird is where he lost the patches of fur and skin the hair has grown back in tufts of wire rather than the soft undercoat. :-\
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"