Note to Admin - frustrating system

Need help using the forum. Then please ask here. We will be along shortly to give assistance about using the forum or questions about any of the features.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to ask questions about using the forum. Any specific issues relating to your dog can be raised in the appropriate section. All the advice will work on a desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unless specified, it has not been tested on tablets or smartphones.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Note to Admin - frustrating system

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I don't know whether it is just me but on many occasions when I type a post and submit if someone else has submitted a post in the meantime my post gets lost. This is really frustrating. Just typed a long post and it has just disappeared and I notice that Leigh had just posted one prior to that.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Note to Admin - frustrating system

Post by zeta1454 »

I know what you mean as I have lost long posts myself and it is really frustrating. I have now started copying my posts before submit or preview just in case they disappear and then I can just paste it back if it does!

I know that sometimes if a reply has just been posted I have had an on screen message before mine goes through to say there has been a reply already and do I still want to go ahead with mine but maybe if the two posts are simultaneous one does get deleted?

Sorry about affecting your post, Julie, quite unintentionally of course :(
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

I've also had this problem..I post the bulk of my post then revisit,to edit,then add photos or links etc..at least the bulk of the post doesn't get lost that way.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Leigh certainly not blaming you and your post more eloquently covered what I was going to say anyway. :)
I will have to copy the post before sending in future or save as draft as I think Jo is suggesting.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Sorry about the frustration, however the system has checks in place to check whether you still want to post if someone has already replied. It is there primarily to stop duplicate information being posted.

What the system does, is check if someone has posted as you submit your post. If this is true, it asks you if you still want to go ahead with your post. In haste, you may inadvertently click on the wrong button and the system interprets that as you want to abandon your post. Once you answer the question posed by the system, your post is lost.

If you review the message, it is still possible to post your post after someone else has, you just need to select the right option.

I can disable this feature on the forums, if that would make life easier for everyone.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Dean

I have never seen this message?? Would be very helpful if I had that message.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

I've tested the system this morning.

For example: If Leigh writes a long post about a topic, and in the interim, someone else writes a post and publishes it, the system will warn Leigh that someone has posted something new since she started replying. You will see the post that was made and you are asked to review your post. You will have an 'edit box' below containing your post and will need to click on the 'submit' button again.

This is the message: At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

I think you may be missing the new 'submit' button and are using some of the links to active or new or unread topics and then you post is lost.

As this feature does not add any value to the forum, I intend to disable it and that should stop any posts being lost.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Many thanks Dean.