Advice on thinning scissors please!

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Advice on thinning scissors please!

Post by jaegervalder »

I have trawled throught all the previous threads on this but still haven't really grasped what I am meant to be doing!!! I would like to use them to blend her jacket into her skirt but just am not sure at what angle to hold them to get the desired effect. I read that I should 'hold in the direction of the hair growth but surely I would be cutting into thin air then? Or am I being really stupid.......
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
MTJ
Puppy
First Name: Marie
Dog #1: Hattie

Re: Advice on thinning scissors please!

Post by MTJ »

Sorry but I take my dog to a mad lady who is just starting out. It would be interesting to find out so I can let her know! Good luck.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I'm sure Jo or Dannie will provide the professional answer shortly, but from a home groomer here's my interpretation, yes you should cut in the same direction as hair growth but if you hold the scissors so they push into the coat slightly (as oppose to resting on it if you see the difference) then you will cut hair. I work on the theory with thinners that I'm after taking off a little bit, have a look at how it looks, take off a little more, have another look etc. It can be hard to imagine sat in front of a computer, but get the dog on a table, hold the thinners how you would normally and now just change their direction so they point the same way as the hair and you'll quickly see that they do cut. As an example, if you were thinning hair on the dogs back the point of the thinners would be aiming at the tail, the finger holes at the head end, following the spine and the hair growth.

One tip from experience; do NOT cut a line 90 degrees to the direction of hair growth (for the example given above don't cut in the same direction as the ribs!), you get a stupid dotted line through the coat that takes a fair bit of work to make normal looking!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

Ok. I think I understand!!!!!!
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Great post Elaine - one to print out for ye old grooming booklet!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008