UHT Goats Milk

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
demotic
Puppy
First Name: demotic

UHT Goats Milk

Post by demotic »

Hi!

Does anyone know if UHT goats milk is ok to feed to a puppy? I tried googling, no luck...

thanks in advance!

demotic
Tulip

Re: UHT Goats Milk

Post by Tulip »

I used fresh goat's milk for my litter to soak the puppy kibbles in, and they loved it warm before bed too, no tummy troubles at all but they were used to it whereas your puppy may not be.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Can I ask why you'd like to know? A puppy has no need to be fed any milk at all when it comes home after 8 weeks. As a species dogs would have no access to milk after being weaned and so have no nutritional need for it. Puppy food can be soaked in boiled, cooled water (allowing the water to cool for 10 mins after boiling means it won't destroy the nutrients in the kibble) and they will happily drink water. Apart from what they got from mum as tiny babies, or the odd stolen slurp neither of mine have ever had milk of any kind and I don't think they are aware they are missing out!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I do agree that after 8 weeks it isn't needed, but I used it to aid with weaning with the puppies and it gave them a bit of a boost regarding fat content.
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Yes but weaning is different to normal feeding requirements of puppies once they go to their new homes....

I'd use goats milk (probably fresh) during weaning, but there is no need once they are 6-7 weeks old and on normal puppy food.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Absoloutely agree with that. xx
demotic
Puppy

Post by demotic »

Thanks for the responses so far. This is my first puppy, I appreciate the guidance.

Why...because the breeder suggested it, twice a day. I'm still following the meal plan he recommended, which is mainly kibble and raw meat in cooled boiling water.

So, puppies don't *need* milk, but perhaps it does no harm, and is even nice for them? Or is it recommended to only give water as a drink? I guess the good thing about water is they can't put on too many pounds drinking it?
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

no its because dogs are naturally lactose intolerant and this increases when they are little puppies as they grow which is the importance of weaning, because their body will begin rejecting the milk and not taking the needed nutrients from it, a 6 week old pup having a cheeky suckle on mum will be fine, a 6 week old pup still feeding solely off of mum would not be fine. also its just not naturally something that would be in their diet. imn sure dogs would love a bit of chocolate "because its nice" but its not good for them so we dont give it to them and its the same principal with milk, they might like it if we let them drink it but its not realisticly the best thing for them. as far as it being what the breeder gave you. breeders all have different ways of doing things, some give scrambled egg, some goats milk and rusks, some weetabix, some condensed milk.......many different things but the truth is they dont actually need it, You really only need to give them the complete puppy food for weaning or a raw diet if thats yoru preference. Hope that helps a little :)
demotic
Puppy

Post by demotic »

thanks to all for the answers on milk and puppies - very helpful. I've started mixing down the milk with water now, so the little monster can adapt to tap water.

Just to satisfy my curiosity - does anyone know if UHT goats milk is worse than normal goats milk for them?
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

No idea, sorry!