Why do Schnauzers shake when they get up?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
MAMF
First Name: Lee
Dog #1: Millie
Born: 30 Jan 2010

Why do Schnauzers shake when they get up?

Post by MAMF »

Millie does it all the time. Not a shake like she is nervous or cold just when she gets up, shakes her whole body rigidly for about 2-3 seconds then gets on with life.

She might do it again a few minutes later.

Why do they do this?

http://millster.weebly.com

Millie's own photographic website, with photo's from a few weeks old to present.
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Re: Why do Schnauzers shake when they get up?

Post by angieh »

If it's the type of shaking that I think you mean, Monty does it too - he does it when he comes out of his crate, stretches and then has a good shake which is quite understandable in my book. But he does it at other times too, like during a recall race in training, loses seconds and the race too of course! We thought it was his harness but it does just the same without it on.
stacyr

Post by stacyr »

Mine shake after they've had a bit of a play fight, apparently its something to do with "thats how you know they are playing". Charlie does a big stretch of his front legs then a big stretch of his back legs are he's had a lay down, funny little things arent they
Stacy
P/S Mini - Charlie; Black Standard - Ozzie
MAMF

Post by MAMF »

stacyr wrote:, funny little things arent they
Not arf.

Cheers for the replies.

Millie's own photographic website, with photo's from a few weeks old to present.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Now this is probably not the reason for the first thing shake but some of the others are likely stress shakes. Dogs shake to release stress - be it from concentrating (during training), unpleasantness (when they have had their nails trimmed), tension (stand off with another dog) or high excitement (after play), these are all forms of stress to a dog and so it shakes to relieve this, almost like it is shaking the stress out of it's fur. Then he can easily go and have a snooze!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
richardwillett
Puppy
First Name: richard
Dog #1: isla
Born: 08 Jul 2011

Post by richardwillett »

Isla does this shake as well my mother in law thought it may be down to an ear infection but they seem fine ,she manly does her shakes whilst on a walk
carolinh
First Name: caroline
Dog #1: Daisy
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Dog #2: May
is a: B/S Mini Bitch

Post by carolinh »

When Daisy shakes she starts at the head and it works it's way down to her tail, so by the end her head is still while her bum finishes it's shake. Funny to watch...do they all do it the same?

Caroline
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

we were at an agil;ity show and doing quite well till we reached the tunnel (material one) Arthur emerged and stood shaking all over as if to say brrrrr I'm out now. Needless to say we didn't win :))

Do you think the morning one could be to wake themselves up a bit. When I used to work nights I used to give my head a good shake to try and keep awake sometimes
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

We call it a Shimmy-Shake, because it ripples down Gryff's body from the head through to the end of the tail. Sometimes the tail's best avoiding as it's like a little whip!

Gryff will shake after waking up, excitement through play or interaction with other dogs.

When we go for the 'Schnauzer walks' it's great to watch the other dogs and see all the similar Schnauzer traits they have, including their expressions. It's one thing to read about them on the forum, but when you get a group together it's so interesting to see the similarities.
jaybo33

Post by jaybo33 »

Beau shakes every time we walk in a shop. Never fails.Im saying dont do it, PLEASE dont do it, but she does. This happens in any and every shop so cant think of any reason why this happens. But she always walks in the vets with her head held high and no problem with shaking at all wich I think is amazing with what she has been through in there. this is not a nervous shake more like a getting out of the river after a swim shake.
pepsidog

Post by pepsidog »

Pepsi always does his 'four paws off the floor' body shake after a hair cut! sending hair bits flying everywhere.

Schnauzers may not shed hairs around the house but the pepsi shake distributes them quite effectively after a trim.

My own fault for triming him in the Lounge watching tv!!!
Supporting the wild dogs of Africa - http://www.awdconservancy.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mummysnoo
First Name: Frances
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 09 Oct 2009

Post by mummysnoo »

carolinh wrote:When Daisy shakes she starts at the head and it works it's way down to her tail, so by the end her head is still while her bum finishes it's shake. Funny to watch...do they all do it the same?

Caroline

Yes Alfie does it just like you describe, its starts at his head, and works its way down to his tail, and he seems to really enjoy it. :) Does the same when I put his lead on or his warm coat. Funny little things, aren't they.? :D
SCHNAUZERS ARE LIKE CHIPS, ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH...........

Alfie my black Mini boy born 9th Oct 2009, my pal, my mentor, my friend.

R.I.P Charlie, Harvey and Bobby. R.I.P Oscar, Alfie's Grandad 15.12.12
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Rupert is exactly the same. He does his Mexican Wave shake when waking up from a long sleep. It is really funny to watch as even his paws shake and it looks like he is floating.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
MAMF

Post by MAMF »

The other night the wife brought up Millie's bed for her to sleep in, in our room.

02:16 - Shakey shake shake.

03:41 - Shakey shake shake.

08:18 - Shakey shake shake.

Image Image

Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

MAMF wrote:The other night the wife brought up Millie's bed for her to sleep in, in our room.

02:16 - Shakey shake shake.

03:41 - Shakey shake shake.

08:18 - Shakey shake shake.

Image Image
Ha ha looks like she will be relogated to downstairs