Refusing to go for a walk

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
hynanl

Refusing to go for a walk

Post by hynanl »

Hi, we are first time dog owners and have a new mini schnauzer puppy (Jasper) who is gorgeous . We have had him for 6 weeks now and settled in very well. However, when I take him for a walk he refuses to walk and sits or sometimes lays down outside the house. I drag him a little way and he then walks a bit then sits down as if hes going on strike. If I turn around and start to walk back home he walks fine. If we see another person or a dog or even someone on a bike he gets excited and will walk following them and when we get to the park he walks fine. He is great off the lead and walks close to me all the way around the park, he also walks home ok. I asked the trainer at the puppy classes what she could suggest as we have tried tempting him out of the door and up the road with treats which didnt really work and I was a bit shocked that she said carry him to the park or go by car (defeating the object of a 'walk' ). Has anybody else had the same please and if so how did you get round it please. Thanks very much in advance. ..... Linda
Tulip

Re: Refusing to go for a walk

Post by Tulip »

I had the same problem with my bitch on a show lead; she was hesitant at first outside the house on walks because it's quite a frightening place out there. I just stood still and waited until she was ready, and had taken it all in. It may take a while but it can definately help.
On the show lead I would take her to class and she would plonk her bum down and wasn't moving for love nor money. Now at 5 months she's pulling me round like a freight train! I practised daily with her and the command 'Let's go!'. Every time she took a step I gave the command and treated. Eventually when could take a few steps before treating, and now it's her command if she's stopped to have a look at something on a walk too. Defiantely worth investing some time to treating for each step in the garden and building itu p to the pavement outside, and eventually the street. :)
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Rodders started to do this shortly after we started at puppy training classes and my neighbours thought it was hilarious to see me trying to entice him to walk a step or two. I tried treats, picking him up and carrying him a few paces and then trying again, gentle encouragement, firm encouragement, a little dragging, but I am not sure any of it worked. He just likes to sit and watch the world go by.

Now there is no stopping him once he is on the lead. But he does still like to stop and watch if he is somewhere new or there is something going on that he isn't sure about. I am happy to let him sit for a minute and then I use a brisk 'This way' command and he usually follows me.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

Barnaby did this... and funnily enough my neighbours thought it was hilarious as well!!! He was so cute with it as well!!! They are the most stubborn dog but eventually they realise that it is all ok and actually quite fun out there.... I actually cleaned the floor with him at puppy training as he refused to walk!!! (that was after a few weeks... the other weeks we sat in the middle of the room refusing the move!!!

Now you say 'walkies' !! and you'd think it was the best thing ever!!!
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Post by Robert Lockwood »

Monty refused to walk on the lead properly between approx 12-16 weeks old . Found carrying him out of the garden 50yds up the road worked a treat , Maisie only very occcasionally slammed the anchors on, and again just carrying her for a few yards worked . We never really sussed out what the problem was ( maybe other dogs making territory on grass verge outside house) . The only time they try not to walk now is in torrential rain which i'm sure plenty of other schnauzer owners are familiar with...
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

oh yes... I have been known to be stood in the garden in the rain providing an umbrella for Barnaby!! ;-) what can I say!! :D
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

Little Bear was exactly the same and still runs to hide if he sees his harness. He's fine once he's out (as long as its not raining!) but doesn't like the process.

Big wide world must be bewildering for a little un so taking it slowly and making it fun sound like a good plan.
The Little Bear Dog Blog - Living, Loving and Learning with a 'problem dog'
http://thelittlebeardogblog.wordpress.com/