Need help brushing

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
janek
First Name: Alison
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Sep 2011

Need help brushing

Post by janek »

Please can anyone give me advice on how to get your dog to let you brush their beard etc. Klara is 9 months old and I introduced her to a brush at an early age. She just sees it as a big game to bite the brush, wagging her tail all the time. Her last trim ended up a bit severe because she had knotted legs and beard.

I have started brushing her beard every day to prevent the tangled mess it was last time. I always reward with a treat and hold a treat to occupy her mouth whilst I brush.

Any other advice welcome
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Re: Need help brushing

Post by tombaker »

Have thought about gently holding her muzzle as you brush on one said then swap sides?
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

A good bushy beard is so useful for holding a schnauzer still whilst you brush!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

I do what Tom says, hold the muzzle. Also try and hold near the root of the section of hair you are brushing, so it doesnt hurt them as much if you are brushing out a tangly bit
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
janek
First Name: Alison
Born: 14 Sep 2011

Post by janek »

Thanks for the advice.
I am holding her muzzle and brushing her beard twice a day, so we're making progress. She wags her tail furiously, so she doesn't mind too much. My last mini hated being brushed and would have a nip at my fingers or run and hide at the sight of the brush.
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012
is a: Black Giant Bitch

Post by Snazy »

Firstly, get rid of the treat!

second, put her up somewhere high on a non slip surface and be business like - no high, cheery voice and actions you do when playing. A dog needs to learn to be still and quiet, then have a mad game when all is done. Think about the groomer getting sharp scissors around her eyes, and you will understand why she needs to learn to settle down. Don't be afraid of saying NO (seems to be a dirty word to some people these days! *rollseyes*)

When brushing, tip her head back, holding the the muzzle, brush upwards along the lower jaw, layer by layer (think how a hairdresser works through your hair when cutting or drying it!). One the lower jaw is brushed, work upwards in layers along one side and then the other.

If you still have problems, ask the groomer to show you how it is done.

Tools I use are a slicker brush and then a comb.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers