average life span of a mini schnauzer?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
al shookup

average life span of a mini schnauzer?

Post by al shookup »

Hi...A friend of my wife has just lost her mini schnauzer to a heart attack at 6 years of age. She had only just got used to it becoming totally blind recently due to an illness. My wife's friend now believes that mini schnauzers don't have a long life span compared to other small dogs. We are now worried about our own loveable Louie who is almost two year old. I also understand that kidney problems are rife in older mini schnauzers due to the fact they don't drink much water. ( I, myself have just experienced the movement of a large kidney stone due to not drinking much water all my life and it is an extremely painful experience).
Does anyone have any knowledge in likely life span of minis and their possible kidney problems in later life?
good to hear your thoughts on the matter......
Tulip

Re: average life span of a mini schnauzer?

Post by Tulip »

From what I understand and have heard, most live beyond the age of ten quite easily.
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

Hi

I just lost my old boy back in April and he was 14.5 years old. He did have kidney problems towards the end, hence a very strict diet from the vets to help his kidneys and liver, but other than that he had a long and good life.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Yes - I would agree with Tulip that minis could expect to live well beyond ten years. I would expect them to reach 13 years at least. I have heard of some who have died young from illness but that should be the exception. Our oldest mini died at just under 14 years (very sudden liver failure and congested lungs); our second was 13 1/2 years old and had a severe stroke one night. Our current oldie is 11 now and still going strong despite a spinal injury which has affected the use of his back legs but otherwise fine. If you are worried about kidney stones it might be worth looking at diet change for little Louie? Also regarding life span - perhaps check with the breeder what age other dogs in their pedigree have reached.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
frazers mam
First Name: ANN
Dog #1: Barney
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 22 Mar 2008
Dog #2: Jake
Born: 02 May 2011

Post by frazers mam »

Hi,
We lost Frazer in April, he had liver problems he was on a prescription diet from the vet.
We have had 3 schnauzers who lived till 12, 13 and 14.
ANN
Barney born 22nd March 2008 s & p mini, Jake born 2nd May 2011 s & p mini

Frazer 14 year old mini gone to Rainbow Bridge 15th April 2011 Run free little man
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012
is a: Black Giant Bitch

Post by Snazy »

My oldest was 15, youngest to die was 10 from cancer. Neither had kidney problems.

My oldest here now is a Giant at very nearly 13 years old, again she is in good health.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Snazy wrote:
My oldest here now is a Giant at very nearly 13 years old, again she is in good health.
I know it was a couple of years ago, but when I met Tara at Delamere I couldn't believe how old she was, she was so energetic and happy!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

We lost Rags in February this year she was 13.9 years old, no kidney problems, she did have pancreasitis in 2009 and was hospitalised for that, otherwise a mainly healthy life.
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
julia
Puppy

Post by julia »

We have just lost our boy at the age of 14 years and 2 months - he lived life life to the full almost to the end, he had a sensitive tum that we manged with a careful diet but apart from that no issues at all, he even managed a couple of good long walks last September on holiday in Scotland, sadly though he developed a problem with his spine and lost the use of his back legs.

Julia
Last edited by julia on 23 Aug 2011, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
pepsidog

Post by pepsidog »

We lost our first schnauzer at 13.5 years. Very healthy until just near the end.
Supporting the wild dogs of Africa - http://www.awdconservancy.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lbn0nr
First Name: Lionel

Post by lbn0nr »

My black mini almost standard schnauzer died today the 27 June 2015 he was 16 years 3 months old. He will be deeply missed (as tears run down my face). The vet states that they feel that it was his heart.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

lbn0nr wrote:My black mini almost standard schnauzer died today the 27 June 2015 he was 16 years 3 months old. He will be deeply missed (as tears run down my face). The vet states that they feel that it was his heart.
So very sorry to hear of your loss. That is an amazing lifespan and I am sure you have so many wonderful memories to treasure from over the years. Thinking of you and sending hugs :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

ibnOnr So sorry for your loss sending a big hug to comfort you.

I have noticed that Hamish does not drink very much so I make sure his breakfast is a wet raw food and minces beef or chicken and part cooked vege for his dinner
Barbarauttley
First Name: Barbara
Dog #1: Billy
Born: 08 Oct 2012

Post by Barbarauttley »

That is so sad. You must feel a big hole in your life at the moment. All my sympathies and thoughts are with you.
amandah
Puppy
First Name: Amanda
Dog #1: Brynsmore Supertramp
Born: 02 Jan 1997

Post by amandah »

I am sorry to hear of your friends loss, it must have been a shock at such a young age for that to happen.

My personal thought is that Minis tend to live a long life. I lost my own dear little girl just a couple of days before Christmas last year. Had she lived to see the new year she would have been 18 years old.

Please don't let this experience put you off such a wonderful breed of dog. I will certainly be having another mini if ever I am able to have another (I work full time and do not have anyone to provide daytime care any longer).
Heidi - Brynsmore Supertramp 02/01/97 to 21/12/14 Forever missed never forgotten
Waiting until the time comes I can share my life again with another special mini