Clippers and grooming tools for puppy

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
LotSale16
Puppy
First Name: Kim

Clippers and grooming tools for puppy

Post by LotSale16 »

Hello

Can anyone recommend clippers and general grooming equipment which would be best suited for our ten week old puppy?

Also which scissors and size to purchase?

I would be really grateful for this advice.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Clippers and grooming tools for puppy

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Kim

A fantastic clipper I can recommend is the Moser Arco Cordless Clipper, light, quiet, different blade sizes without having to change blade and it has lasted me over 15 years without a problem although I have had to purchase a new set of batteries over the years. I have now progressed to an Oster Cordless but that is because I also groom my sister's cockapoo and need to be able to change blades and I used to like a longer coat on my schnauzer in the Winter. I still use the Moser Arco for paws, ears and fiddly areas. Wouldn't be without it.

As for scissors, I use Mars. Again they have never let me down and never gone blunt. I would get a small straight scissor and a curved scissor. A curved scissor is good for paws and blending I would also get a one sided thinning scissor for fine blending particularly around the face (I also have a chunker thinner for blending large areas but this is not necessary). I would also get a blunt ended very short scissor for trimming ears or areas where you don't want to prick the little one.

That's it really for someone intending to clip/scissor their schnauzer.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh I should add Kim, these tools will last you a lifetime if you purchase the right quality and brand. Don't be tempted to buy cheaply on scissors. I have been tempted at dog shows to buy nice looking sparkly scissors and they are a waste of money because the quality has been poor. They just sit unused in my grooming case as a lesson to me....
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Welcome Kim..
Are you planning to clip or strip your pup ?
My clipper choice for example would be the arco cordless if you are stripping( for ears. Underpads ,bum area etc..)
but a more robust clipper if you are planning to clip the dog' coat
If you want to strip..I found Mars knives good quality at reasonable price..coarse and fine..hardly ever used the medium.
Later I upgraded to df knives.
Roseline scissors are great quality..I have 8 inch straight..
A soft slicker brush.
A pin brush.
Greyhound comb( for the beard) and legs..
Nail clippers...I start with cat "scissor like "clippers for tiny pup.
Hairdrier..I use a human turbo drier for my mini girl..she hates the big drier I use for my large poodle.
The list is long,but that will get you started for now..
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Just a note on the Moser Arco clipper - it is perfect for clipping the jacket if you intend to clip within its' range of hair/blade length and the longest blade length that it has is the recommended cut length for the coat of a schnauzer. It does actually come with comb attachments for a longer length but I didn't really get on with those. It is actually better and easier to use than my Oster Cordless Pro which was more than double the price and intended for professional groomers. In my experience of 15 years of using it on schnauzers , there is absolutely no problem with its robustness for home grooming so don't let that put you off.
LotSale16
Puppy

Post by LotSale16 »

Thank you for much for all the invaluable advice given. I should have said that I intend to clip.

I wanted to get the expert advice from this wonderful forum - Lottie is our second Schnauzer and our old clippers were a bit noisy and heavy, used primarily for interim clips between professional grooming, so wanted to have a fresh start with a young puppy, especially as I want to clip her myself.
Lottie's so wriggly at the moment when we groom but she's getting better by the day - amazing what the bribe of a treat can do!

Very good, sound advice with plenty of options - thank you once again. Off to browse the internet now for the best places to make my purchases.
LotSale16
Puppy

Post by LotSale16 »

Thank you so much for all your help.