These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Tulip

These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by Tulip »

Hallo.

After having a chat with Dannie on Sunday, I realised that Freddy's ears have blown slightly in his puppyhood. I never even KNEW Schnauzer ears did this as they grew, so when she suggested gluing them down, I jumped on it! Now I'm wondering how to go about it. I looked on the Britmor website and she does gluing hair to hair or making a tape cilinder around the ears (like a toilet roll that's had an ear pulled through?). I'm wondering which would be best. I'm posing pictures tomorrow of her stacked (been to blooming rainy to do it so far) so you can see more accurately how they are, but even now when she looks up at me and 'smiles' her ears fall a little like Freddy's do.

What do we think, guys? [dog5]
dannie_kl

Re: These Ears Were Meant for Gluing

Post by dannie_kl »

sorry you hve misunderstood me a little! freddie's ears will change no amount through glueing now! they are set as they are but maisy's may benefit from gluing or taping if they start to fly.just watch them. they may not ever need touching-Kolo's have never been glued but freya's were. each dog is different.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oh god, I know Freddy's won't change, lol!
I think she will, to be honest, and I really don't want to take chances so I'm going to glue them, I just need to know HOW!
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

Gluing ..........your kidding right!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

:p Nope. If her ears go the same way as Freds I won't be able to show her, her ears need to be envelopes for confirmation as oppose to wings! I LOVE big, floppy ears, like Freddy's, but they won't qualify her for Crufts, LOL! I promise you it doesn't hurt at all, and I will let them off for a bit so her ears can breathe. ;)
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

well its hard to explain, i always have someone do it for me. does it not say how to do it on the britmor site?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

It's pretty vague - I'm thinking I either use tape as a tube around the ear to create a crease in the middle? Either that or tape them into place by the inner ear tip as forward as possible so it's nice and tight. Who did you get to do yours, Dannie? Do you go to a groomer to do it or a vet or a breeder?
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

my friend faye (she taught me some of my show grooming) did it first off then my ringcraft teacher (schnauzer guy)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Ack. I don't know how I'm going to do this then. Looks like I'll have to wing it after some more research. Shall have to ring about and see if there are any Schnauzer people to advise me in my area!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

don't glue them straight off, try using micropore and taping the ears and see how you go, it can be changed if you don't get it quite right first off.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I might ring about tomorrow or email a bit. Where should I get microtape?
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

Chemist sells microtape
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

are her ears a problem at the moment why glue/tape them if they arent
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

tesco's will sell micropore but like i said you may be as well to sit tight aand see what they are going to do first
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Mitch - its for showing, the ears need to be folded over and taping/gluing is one way of allowing the ears to develop and grow in such a manner that the tendons and muscles allow the ear to fall how it is supposed to. If the ear is a smidge small then it has a tendancy to lift and make your schnauzer look like a fruit bat - not ideal for the showring. It doesn't hurt the dog and has no affect on them - just makes them look like schnauzers. I suppose you could think of it as slightly extreme grooming.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!