When do they stop growing?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
mummysnoo
First Name: Frances
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 09 Oct 2009

When do they stop growing?

Post by mummysnoo »

At what age does a boy Mini Schnauzer stop growing, Alfie is 5 months old and he is nearly as tall as his Grandad Oscar who is 7 years old. Was just curious.
SCHNAUZERS ARE LIKE CHIPS, ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH...........

Alfie my black Mini boy born 9th Oct 2009, my pal, my mentor, my friend.

R.I.P Charlie, Harvey and Bobby. R.I.P Oscar, Alfie's Grandad 15.12.12
Tulip

Re: When do they stop growing?

Post by Tulip »

Freddy stopped growing at about a year old - he'd reached his full height at six months but spent the next six months filling out.
sandra_1001

Post by sandra_1001 »

Monty is nearly 10 months old and I hope he has stopped growing or else he is going to be the tallest mini I have ever seen hehe
Monty - Salt and pepper boy - born 10th May 2009, joined our family and made it completed 4th July 2009
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

I can't see Mookie as any different to what she was at 6/7 months (she's 9 now). I think it might depend on male/female differences too. She has certainly looked a lot more 'study' on her feet in the last couple of months. [bone]
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

generally the miniature schnauzer is fully grown by about 9 months.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Cara had done most growing by 6 months - she added maybe another half inch in height after and 'filled out' between 6 and 9 months (mind you 'filling out' is hardly apropriate, she is quite a slim mini) I reckon Mo has half an inch of height MAX and may fill out a little more although she is already stockier than Cara. Mo is 7 months.

Dannie is right - 9months they are fully grown physically. Can take up to 2 years I'd say for them to reach 'adult' temperatment (adult used in the loosest possible sense of course)
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

I have been wondering this too. Jetson is 6 months old and about 14 inches last time I measured him and around 15 pounds. I am thinking he will be a pretty big mini.
Who goes there!! I see you ! You there! Woof!
The dog is the God of Frolic
Cookiez
First Name: Darren
Dog #1: Daisy

Post by Cookiez »

Daisy is nearly 7 month now.

13" tall
6.1 kg

I'm hoping she just fills out from now on.
BellBell
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Bella
Born: 18 Oct 2009

Post by BellBell »

Bella is 5 months this weekend, not sure how tall exactly but is 5.5kg at the mo. She is def getting heavier to hold!!
Bella - Black Mini - Born 18th October 2009
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Caramomo wrote: Can take up to 2 years I'd say for them to reach 'adult' temperatment (adult used in the loosest possible sense of course)
i have renamed freya "Freya Pan" after peter pan as i don't think she will ever grow up!
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Since Cara had the puppies and has then become 'pack leader' she has really settled town and turned into a right grumpy old woman!! Mo shows no signs of maturing - its quite funny to watch this almost fully grown dog playing up like a true puppy.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

yes ruby is exactly as you describe cara-i call her grandma roo and freya and mo seem one of a kind too!