Me again...growling when being picked up

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Appy
First Name: Charlotte
Dog #1: Elsa
Born: 01 Jun 2010

Me again...growling when being picked up

Post by Appy »

Hi all, me again (wave)

Did any of your puppies growl when they were picked up? Mine only do it when they are tired and I'm okay that they want to show they are tired, but sometimes you need to move them, get them out of the car etc. So what to do? I have thus far ignored it and made sure I'm as fair and gentle as possible but tonight Greta really had a paddy and definitely went to bite hard.

Because she meant it, I'm afraid I held her by her scruff and said very firmly 'No!' I cannot have a dog who thinks its okay to behave this way. As I said, I am in favour of leaving her to sleep when she's tired but she needs to be okay with being handled when sleepy.

I thought of a few options:
- give her a time out in her crate when she misbehaves (tuttut)
- above plus desensitising ie 'can you let me approach you arms out?', 'can I put my hands on you' and so on to make sure being picked up is always rewarded, and often
- anything else?????? (question)

Thanks once again
Greta and Elsa, eight pawprints across our hearts
Tulip

Re: Me again...growling when being picked up

Post by Tulip »

I'd actually go with the opposite. Be soothing, and kind when picking them up. Wake them gently, as it's pretty alarming to be woken quickly, and speak in a neutral tone. Sounds to me like she's just insecure, so you'd need to make each time you pick her up wonderful so she no longer feels the need to defend herself. Just sitting down each evening and practising with praise and treats to reinforce the behaviour you'd like should yeild results. Maisy, my pup, turned around to mouth at me when I put her down when I first got her, I don't know why. I just scratched her back for a moment when putting her down so she'd melt into a puppy puddle of bliss and now she LOVES any contact and sleeps back to back wth me in bed. :)
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

The crate should never be used as a punishment area so I'm not sure using it as a time out space would be suitable.
My oldest girl ruby always grumbles when you pick her, always has done, probably always will do but she doesn't bite at the same time, just vocal
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

I've put a cue word onto being picked up, I use the word 'lift' like Tulip I trained it with treats and praise. So they are warned that they are being moved. Put your self in their place, you are sitting there quietly minding your own business and suddenly the ground disappears from under you, bit like being on a fairground ride. Once they know the word you can stop rewarding with treats.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Appy

Post by Appy »

Thanks guys - I've tried being really slow, stroking her and cuddling her first and being gentle; perhaps not gentle and slow enough!! Great idea with the 'lift' cue - I'll add it to the desensitising so its a really positive thing for her. She'll enjoy the chance to be clicked for something when its her idea and I'll give her the bestest treats for it :-)

I'd be happy if she just grumbles - after all, its fair enough if you are sleeping and then you're woken up for your evening 'business'!!!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

its just something my ruby has always done, none of my others do but ruby is very vocal at many things.
jo b
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Lily
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 17 Jul 2020

Post by jo b »

Ebony is just the same-every single night we have the same scenario...after they have been out I say "come on its bedtime" and Mutley duly trots off to the front sitting room jumps onto the sofa like a good boy.

However Ebony always jumps onto one of the sofas in the living room and waits for me to go and pick her up and she grumbles away growling every night without fail how ever nicely I do it. Its never more than a grumble never any attempt to bite so I have just got used to it.

Must say Mutley has never growled at us only at his sister and even that is very rare.
Schnauzer Floyd

Post by Schnauzer Floyd »

My parents' mini: Merlin, always grumbles when being picked up - and he actually WANTS to be picked up as he's a real lap dog !! it's quite bizarre...he certainly doesn't mean anything by it.....it's quite harmless. His brother Rhett, however, has never grumbled.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I just see it as ruby talking to me, when i took her to the vets she was on the table and she grumbled but wasn't saying steer clear she was just jabbering on as usual but the vet did look at me like whoa is this one wild, i said just ignore her she is talking, the vet wasn't sure but it didn't take long for them to realise its just ruby's way but as i say she has never tried to bite me or anyone else who has picked her up.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

She never grumbled at me on Saturday. She must have liked me!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

no she rarely grumbles at people but occassionally she does like at the vets and sometimes she does woooo oooo ooooo when she is excited, but yes i think she is a good judge of character ;)
Appy

Post by Appy »

They certainly are talkative, aren't they?? Greta is a real barker announcing everyone that she is there and then she walks along in the woods doing the little squeak thats so cute!

We are already implementing the 'lift' command so will let you know how it goes!!
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

I wonder what Archie would say if I'd try to pick him up.. [laughing]
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

riiseni wrote:I wonder what Archie would say if I'd try to pick him up.. [laughing]
Push your hernia back in mother (giggle)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

ROLF!