Itchy Ears

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Chestersmum
First Name: nikki
Dog #1: chester
Born: 22 Apr 2008

Itchy Ears

Post by Chestersmum »

Hi All

When I picked Chester up from the groomers on saturday she said he had a relly long hair in his ears which she managed to get out.

Since then hes been scratching at it every now and again. When I cleaned it this morning it was a bit brown nothing more than normal but he yelped as if I had hurt him (sorry) .

I've put some thornit powder in just before I went to work to see if that would dry up any goo and nasties that were going on down there , and am going to pick up some ear cleaner from the vets on they way home.

Are there any signs that I should look out for which would indictate an infection of some sort? His ears dont smell and are not that red, any advice is welcome? (bigthumbs)

Thanks Nikki
Owned by Chester, Black & Silver Mini and my little ray of sunshine
jazzy

Re: Itchy Ears

Post by jazzy »

Maggie has been scratching her ears ever since we took her on from Jules. We used Stronghold first,in case it was mites etc, then an expensive trip to the vets to have the hair removed from the inside of her ears, under sedation. She is still scratching almost as much. We haven't a clue as to what to do about it, (nor has vet!) It's possible it's a habit with Maggie but if i were you i would eliminate the possibility of bugs first and then consider putting your fingers in a light socket like us!
Chestersmum

Post by Chestersmum »

jazzy wrote:Maggie has been scratching her ears ever since we took her on from Jules. We used Stronghold first,in case it was mites etc, then an expensive trip to the vets to have the hair removed from the inside of her ears, under sedation. She is still scratching almost as much. We haven't a clue as to what to do about it, (nor has vet!) It's possible it's a habit with Maggie but if i were you i would eliminate the possibility of bugs first and then consider putting your fingers in a light socket like us!
(giggle)
Hes has stronghold every month so i'm pretty sure its not ear mites, and his ears have just been plucked so are baldy ears . I think maybe that long hair my groomer said about may have been irritated his ear a bit , hopefully the thornit & ear cleaner will sort it out .

Will keep an eye on it if it doesnt improve will conside the finger in the light socket option (giggle)
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

Sugarbear would scratch at her ears for a day after I removed her ear hair. It feels different to them.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Sometimes when they have their ears plucked for the first time they can head shake and scratch as they aren't use to the air circulating round them.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Derwent
First Name: Yvonne
Dog #1: Max
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 03 Sep 2007
Dog #2: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Aug 2010

Post by Derwent »

Max often scratches at his ears after he has had them plucked at the groomers, I do wonder if there are few little bits of hair that get stuck and tickle them. I use Cleanaural for a few days following the ear plucking and this usually works. He has particularly sensitive ears and really doesn't like you touching the inside of them. Some of the hairs in his ears are really long they must go very deep down inside!
Yvonne
Small dogs but big personalities
Max (B/S mini) Monty (P/S mini)
Chestersmum

Post by Chestersmum »

Derwent wrote:Max often scratches at his ears after he has had them plucked at the groomers, I do wonder if there are few little bits of hair that get stuck and tickle them. I use Cleanaural for a few days following the ear plucking and this usually works. He has particularly sensitive ears and really doesn't like you touching the inside of them. Some of the hairs in his ears are really long they must go very deep down inside!
I picked some of that up on my way home this evening. Have put some in. He seems more comfortable now

Thanks for all the tips (bigthumbs)
jazzy

Post by jazzy »

Glad you have hopefully sorted out the itchy ears. Maggie is still scratching ears head and whiskers! quite frequently. So we are still considering the light socket option, vet is going to make it a threesome!
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Glad that Chesters ears are less itchy, I also use the Cleanaural to wipe out his ears when he's been for a dip in the river, just in case there are any nasties in there he is getting more used to it now and doesn't pull away when I use it.
Yvonne
Chestersmum

Post by Chestersmum »

Had to take him to the vet as it did get quite smelly. No foreign body or infection just a bit sore. Got some drops. He's a lot happier now!
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Sorry to hear he has sore ears, hope he's better now he has seen the vet.
Yvonne