Best Dog Clippers

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Re: Best Dog Clippers

Post by tombaker »

I might stick at it then :-bd
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

If he's showed no irritation before now then there is no reason there should be any problem.......i know its a different breed but I have been clipping finlays face on a shorter blade from as soon as i got him in the hope he wouldnt have any problems being clipped on the shorter blades. Ive been clipping his pads out with a 40 blade weekly.
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

I would like to say that for those who are starting out, the best blades are 7f for body and 10 for head and bum. Show grooms are different, done within time lines and dependent on the groomer with or against the grain with number of different blades.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

Sorry my fault. I took the thread a little of topic!
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
SarahW
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Synnu
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 20 Jun 2010
Dog #2: Tsieina
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 19 May 2011

Post by SarahW »

I was just going to post on this topic so I'm glad I found this helpful thread. I too find it all a bit confusing so it's useful to know what you all do - and take head of the warnings of clipping too close. I don't want to trim them too short during the winter months so are you saying a 7f would be OK? Also, Synnu's fur is very fine and soft - do you think there would be any issues with a 7f blade with him?
'Mum' to Synnu and Tsieina
Synnu ('sunny') is a mixed breed (Synnu = surprise in Welsh). Tsieina ('chay-nah') is a Mini Schnau (Tsieina = china in Welsh).
dugald

Post by dugald »

Hi All,

I bought these Wahl clippers for my mini schnauzer Brian:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PTQ5HS/r ... B000PTQ5HS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems I am the only one he will let near him with clippers or scissors in hand so I do the cutting every 8 weeks. Its a huge job with just scissors and usually takes me around 5 hours. He doesn't like being on a table I let him lie on the floor. It kills my back.

The clippers don't work at all. I have tried various lengths and they just seem to be unable to cut the hair. His coat is very dense but very soft and grows unbelievable fast. Before I spend a lot of money on fancy clippers I just wanted to check whether it is probably something I am doing wrong, or whether the answer is spending more on clippers?

Thanks for any advice. Dugald
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

being a professional groomer i never have used cheap clippers like this so no idea but others here have said they also found them useless. most novice groomers/pet owners wishing to self trim get along well with andis single or twin speed.
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

SarahW wrote:I was just going to post on this topic so I'm glad I found this helpful thread. I too find it all a bit confusing so it's useful to know what you all do - and take head of the warnings of clipping too close. I don't want to trim them too short during the winter months so are you saying a 7f would be OK? Also, Synnu's fur is very fine and soft - do you think there would be any issues with a 7f blade with him?
When I started clipping a year ago I bought Andis single speed as they are quiet. I clip 3 dogs who have varying coats from silky smooth to coarse. I use predominately the 7 size blades but I started with 10 in case I went too wrong! A good pair if scissors is a must too! Good luck
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
noogle
First Name: kay
Dog #1: Maisie
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Bert
Born: 0-10-2008

Post by noogle »

we started clipping maisie ourselves earlier this year. we bought some andis 2 speed clippers which are great and use a 7F blade on her body and 10 on her ears, i then shape her face,legs and belly with scissors. we have been really happy with the results and like the fact we can keep her tidy all the time (having her cut professionally was getting too expensive)
We have been having a giggle the last few days because i trimmed her last week and for some reason she now has a line down one side of her back, i have tried re-clipping the area to blend it in but cant get rid of it. We keep calling it her "go faster" stripe!! not that she needs one of those :))
Elly
Puppy
First Name: Gill
Dog #1: Bella
Born: 09 Mar 2012

Post by Elly »

I want to hand strip my own mini too. I am going to buy Andis clippers (probably the AGC ones) as recommended by some groomers I talked to. Does anyone recommend the narrow (toe) blade for between pads or do you just use the normal blades? #10 or #7F for feet?
Alpha
First Name: Philip
Dog #1: Alpha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Sep 2012

Post by Alpha »

I am thinking of getting some professional clippers myself but the Andis 2 is so expensive... £130 on amazon!
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Alpha wrote:I am thinking of getting some professional clippers myself but the Andis 2 is so expensive... £130 on amazon!
It is quite expensive, but they will last as long as your mini, so about £8 per year compared to £180 a year taking them to a groomer every six weeks. They pay for themselves in the first year and having two dogs makes the savings even bigger.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

Alpha wrote:I am thinking of getting some professional clippers myself but the Andis 2 is so expensive... £130 on amazon!
I have the Andis 2 speed clippers (excellent :-bd ) but I only use one speed on them :)) so you could save a bit by getting the one speed version and still have good clippers ;)
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I had the Andis one speed for about 20 years it eventually gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the 2 speed. I clip two airedales a welsh and bit's of my schnauzer with it. He was/is a very timid dog and he copes very well with the noise. I tried clipping his coat once and he ended up looking like an airedale so he goes to a groomers now but I keep his ears and bottom tidy between grooms I looked at other clippers but went back to the Andis because it was imho the best I have small hands and not very strong I sometimes think I shpould have paid a bit more and gone for the recharable but I have a grooming table and an extension lead so it is not a problem
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Hi
I'm new here and have just been "lurking" and appreciating the the vast amount of information available from these threads. However I feel I might have already made a mistake on reading down this thread.

When the lady who groomed Max said she could no longer cope I decided to groom him myself. I bought what I thought were ideal clippers for both of us (quiet and cordless) the Aesculap gt405 corded/ cordless clippers.

Sadly, Max (a P&S standard) had to be put to sleep just short of his 15th birthday before I had a chance to groom him.

I am now waiting to collect my new companion Milla, a black miniature schnauzer, in September and I plan to groom her myself.

The reason I am a bit unsure now of my purchase, is that no one on this thread has mentioned the Aesculap range. Can someone tell me, is it because these clippers are unsuitable or are they just not good enough to be used by professional groomers? (some of you seem to fall into that category from reading your posts)