Grooming - Knots & Tangles?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Grooming - Knots & Tangles?

Post by Champ629 »

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of knots and tangles? Jake has a knot in his beard and I can't get rid of it, I have tried combing it when his beard is wet and also dry. I don't know what else to do, have I got to cut the knot out? Please help!
AMH

Post by AMH »

I use a Matt Splitter, if you look on petplant.co.uk under Dog Grooming/Stripping knifes they are only a couple of pound but does the trick.
snazy

Post by snazy »

Use a pair of scissors, holding the outer edge of one blade against his skin (so you can't accidentally cut his skin) slide the scissor blade along the direction on hair growth, this will split the knot in half - you may then find you can use a slicker brush to open out the knot more and then use a comb to pull out the loose chunks of dead hair. If not, slide the scissors through a few more times until you can.

Never use scissors to cut out a knot, it is very easy to go a bit to far and cut into the skin, I have had a few dogs come to me who have suffered at the hands of the owner with scissors and it can set up a bit of a phobia with some dogs, once they have been cut.

To prevent knots, go through the dogs coat with a medium comb after it has been brushed, it will be a check that you have got through all the coat and not just brushed the surface hairs. Also use a conditoner each time you bath your dog. If the beard is looking a little dry, try leaving the dog in the bath for 5 - 10 mins with some neat conditioner worked into it.

Remember in wet weather your dog is more likely to knot up quicker.
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

Thanks for your advice, I have ordered a matt splitter, I don't really want to use scissors as Jake does fidget and obviously I don't want to hurt him. I will start using conditioner on him when he is bathed too.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

This may sound silly but is human conditioner ok to use or a special dog conditioner, Jasper gets knotty :?
Lipgloss
First Name: Michelle

Post by Lipgloss »

If I am confronted with a 'knotty' dog then I use a detangler comb or is it untangler comb? :? Anyway they are really good. The teeth move slightly so it doesn't hurt the dog. I think they were originally used for cats. I've used one for 14 years now. A 'coat king' does the job too.
Michelle, who reckons all dogs should have their meat and eat it...!
snazy

Post by snazy »

I find scissors kinder to the dog and so long as you rest one blade on the dog it won't cut them, I do some dogs who could represent their country for wriggling :roll: and this is a good way to deal with the knots.

However, I find that if you bath the dog and let the knot soak up the conditoner for 5 - 10 mins then the knots brush out quite easily.

Yes, you can use human conditioner BUT like with anything you use for the first time, watch for a reaction in the dogs skin, and make sure you wash it out properly.
BFG
First Name: Nicola
Born: 09 Oct 2004

Post by BFG »

How true this is I don't really know, Spencer's breeder told me not to be tempted to brush him when he is wet from walking in the rain and mud etc. but to leave him until thoroughly dry before brushing him because if you do it when wet it just pushes any dirt into the softer undercoat and causes matts and tangles. I have always stuck to what she said and he has never had any serious tangles, so suppose there must be some truth in it.
Spencer the BFG
snazy

Post by snazy »

Grooming a wet and dirty dog is like rubbing sandpaper all over the hair, it roughs up the cuticles on the hair shaft which weakens the hair and makes these 'barbs' interlock causing more knots. Ideally we should only ever brush a clean dog.

However, brushing a dog that is clean and wet, while you are blowdrying it can be better, especially if you have used conditioner on the dog, as the heat helps the conditoner to work better
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

What is a good conditioner to use :?:
snazy

Post by snazy »

Depends! If you are shopping at pet shops you will be very limited on choice, even if they stock any! Online all the grooming suppliers stock various conditioners, it is a case of trying them and seeing what works best on your dog. The thicker conditioners are good for keeping knots at bay but may be a bit heavy on another dog and cause lanky furnishings.