Puppy availability in Northern Ireland ?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
debz32
Puppy
First Name: Debs

Puppy availability in Northern Ireland ?

Post by debz32 »

Hey guys - hoping you can help....we are looking for a wee chum (bitch) for our beloved 11month old Izzy.

Would, ideally, like a pup mid July - so we can be at home to help her settle in...

Anyone know of any good breeders ?

I know you can't name on here - but happy to receive PMs or any info you have :)

Thanks
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Re: Puppy availability in Northern Ireland ?

Post by Eddie »

Hi and welcome to the forum. You could send a PM to "miniforme". She is based in NI and may be able to give you some advice. Good luck with your search.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
debz32
Puppy
First Name: Debs

Post by debz32 »

thank you.....I have sent several PMs to "miniforme! but not had any response..... :(
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

Hey just seeing this now, tho we have been chatting debs, I haven't received any other pm's from you other than the ones just from the past few days...

Graham has there been any problems with the pm's??
ImageBig dogs in little packages
neilsedge

Post by neilsedge »

Hi there
Our family are considering a schnauzer for our first dog just wondered could anyone point me to a breeder or schanuzer rescue in Northern Ireland
Thanks
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

As far as I am aware there isn't one
ImageBig dogs in little packages
Miyake94
First Name: Rachel

Post by Miyake94 »

I am looking into getting another schnauzer in my life and I am also in ni. We lost ours 5 years back, Have you had any luck?

I’d also consider taking two on as my last little one was spoilt rotten but was lonely as she got older, is it a bad idea to take two on? If anyone has any positive helpful advise it would be appreciated. Also I’d ideally prefer two girlie pups - two sisters? Or is it better to get from two different litters? I’d prefer them to be the same family ideally…

Many thanks,
Rachel.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Hi Rachel. Welcome to the forum.

This is a really old topic, going back to 2013, so you may not get a reply from the original poster. Perhaps start your old one.

There have been many discussions on getting 2 dogs at the same time and/or from the same litter. Use the search functionality at the top of the site and you will find loads of useful information and discussions around the upsides and downsides of getting 2 puppies at the same time and/or from the same litter.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Miyake94 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 00:39 I am looking into getting another schnauzer in my life and I am also in ni. We lost ours 5 years back, Have you had any luck?

I’d also consider taking two on as my last little one was spoilt rotten but was lonely as she got older, is it a bad idea to take two on? If anyone has any positive helpful advise it would be appreciated. Also I’d ideally prefer two girlie pups - two sisters? Or is it better to get from two different litters? I’d prefer them to be the same family ideally…

Many thanks,
Rachel.
Hi Rachel,
I will send you a message regarding a possible contact in N. Ireland who breeds miniature schnauzers and who may be able to put you in contact with others. However, you do need to be very careful when contacting any breeder to be sure they are doing all the relevant health tests, raising the puppies in their own home and able to give you advice and support on-going if you get a puppy from them and these ‘checks’ must be done by you and your family so don’t just rely on any advertising jargon that a seller may use to encourage you to buy from them. There are useful posts on the Puppy Care section and Breeding section of this forum to guide puppy seekers how to avoid dealers / backyard breeders and puppy farmers.

As regards getting two puppies at the same time, this is never recommended whether from one litter or two different ones. As said above there are a number of posts on this topic already which you could check out to see the pitfalls and dangers of this. Even very experienced breeders / owners can find raising two puppies of the sane age a trial and a challenge! It is unlikely anyway that a reputable breeder would sell two puppies from the same litter to a family as this is more a tactic of backyard breeders to get a quick sale. The best plan is to get a puppy from a reputable, supportive breeder and, in a year or more, when your pup is mature and settled maybe approach that breeder again as to the chance of having another puppy from them at that time. Some breeders repeat a mating in the following year if they have had good healthy pups previously so you could still get a closely related second pup and, even if the sire is different, the mother may be the same as for the first litter. Having said that there is no guarantee with puppies, even from the same litter, that they will get on well and just as likely that a puppy from different parents will be absolutely close friends with a resident dog :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Miyake94

Post by Miyake94 »

zeta1454 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 17:26 [quote=Miyake94 post_id=309202 time=<a href="tel:1664408369">1664408369</a> user_id=15451]
I am looking into getting another schnauzer in my life and I am also in ni. We lost ours 5 years back, Have you had any luck?

Many thanks,
Rachel.
Hi Rachel,
I will send you a message regarding a possible contact in N. Ireland who breeds miniature schnauzers and who may be able to put you in contact with others. However, you do need to be very careful when contacting any breeder to be sure they are doing all the relevant health tests, raising the puppies in their own home and able to give you advice and support on-going if you get a puppy from them and these ‘checks’ must be done by you and your family so don’t just rely on any advertising jargon that a seller may use to encourage you to buy from them. There are useful posts on the Puppy Care section and Breeding section of this forum to guide puppy seekers how to avoid dealers / backyard breeders and puppy farmers.

As regards getting two puppies at the same time, this is never recommended whether from one litter or two different ones. As said above there are a number of posts on this topic already which you could check out to see the pitfalls and dangers of this. Even very experienced breeders / owners can find raising two puppies of the sane age a trial and a challenge! It is unlikely anyway that a reputable breeder would sell two puppies from the same litter to a family as this is more a tactic of backyard breeders to get a quick sale. The best plan is to get a puppy from a reputable, supportive breeder and, in a year or more, when your pup is mature and settled maybe approach that breeder again as to the chance of having another puppy from them at that time. Some breeders repeat a mating in the following year if they have had good healthy pups previously so you could still get a closely related second pup and, even if the sire is different, the mother may be the same as for the first litter. Having said that there is no guarantee with puppies, even from the same litter, that they will get on well and just as likely that a puppy from different parents will be absolutely close friends with a resident dog :)
[/quote]

Oh please that would be fab! Yes we completed checks when we acquired our last little one but just want to make sure as I’ve heard some horror stories too.

Oh really ? I must have a look at previous posts sorry just trying to find my way around still lol see I would like both to be closely related, and understand the stress of two in stead of one to train and potty teach etc etc. My worry was if the first pup became very territorial if she/he has been on the scene first where as if they both came at the same time then it would be less stressful? Especially if from the same house/litter? Il have a read and think over things, still learning how to use here.

Thank you for your advise,
Rachel
Miyake94

Post by Miyake94 »

Dinkum wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 11:51 Hi Rachel. Welcome to the forum.

This is a really old topic, going back to 2013, so you may not get a reply from the original poster. Perhaps start your old one.

There have been many discussions on getting 2 dogs at the same time and/or from the same litter. Use the search functionality at the top of the site and you will find loads of useful information and discussions around the upsides and downsides of getting 2 puppies at the same time and/or from the same litter.

Oh okay still finding my way around here lol il have a look at the top of the page and see what I can find, would rather research and just make sure I make the right decision first,

Thanks,
Rachel
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Rachel, if you click on the Front Page link at the top of this page it will take you through to the list of subjects on the Forum and you can check out topics posted on each by clicking on the relevant subject e.g. Puppy Care or Breeding. To do a search for a subject generally you can use the search box but it will bring up many posts that contain those words so may be a bit harder to pin down the ones you are most interested in.

This is also a link to another web page with an article about the downside of adopting littermates which does highlight a number of potential issues:

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/sibling-l ... pies-shtml

Regarding getting a second dog when you already have one, from experience over many years I would say that it rarely happens that a resident dog will not get on with a new puppy. It can sometimes be difficult with introducing an adult dog as that can be seen as threatening to some dogs if they have been used to being the only one in the family and even more so if the newcomer is older than the resident dog. It might also be so if a new dog was brought into the family many years after the first but puppies are generally not seen as a threat and more likely to be a welcome playmate :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Miyake94

Post by Miyake94 »

zeta1454 wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 10:55 Hi Rachel, if you click on the Front Page link at the top of this page it will take you through to the list of subjects on the Forum and you can check out topics posted on each by clicking on the relevant subject e.g. Puppy Care or Breeding. To do a search for a subject generally you can use the search box but it will bring up many posts that contain those words so may be a bit harder to pin down the ones you are most interested in.

This is also a link to another web page with an article about the downside of adopting littermates which does highlight a number of potential issues:

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/sibling-l ... pies-shtml

Regarding getting a second dog when you already have one, from experience over many years I would say that it rarely happens that a resident dog will not get on with a new puppy. It can sometimes be difficult with introducing an adult dog as that can be seen as threatening to some dogs if they have been used to being the only one in the family and even more so if the newcomer is older than the resident dog. It might also be so if a new dog was brought into the family many years after the first but puppies are generally not seen as a threat and more likely to be a welcome playmate :)

Hello,

Yes I have done that and found some great conversations and stories from members on here. I have also done a little more research into the two puppy idea and think I may get one and then get a close relative a year or so later, it seems it works out the best when the first is a little more mature and trained already! I never thought about this as wanted siblings and for the two dogs to be close but maybe would be better to wait for a little while. I was scared of the two not getting on if I brought another one a little later but it looks like they would in most cases if I introduced another pup a year or so down the line!

Thank you!
Rachel