Opinion on Dog Feeding Plan

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
AliceGrimm
First Name: Alicia
Dog #1: Dolce
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Jun 2017

Opinion on Dog Feeding Plan

Post by AliceGrimm »

I am still a bit leery on the raw diet stuff, and I really want to talk to a vet about it. Though I know some vets in the area are very much against a raw diet. This diet I want your opinion on isn't a raw diet. My breeders (they are sisters) recommended this book on their blog, and I know they do prepare their pups for dog food as well, but I really don't want to give my pup dog food. I am a bit worried about giving the right nutrients. And I am sure I can find things like antlers for the pup to chew on and what not to keep her teeth strong.

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the website and recipes that this..pet-dietologist Dr. Strombeck.

I just wanted feed back on what you guys thought about it health wise and how good or bad it would be for schnauzers. I plan to ask the breeders more about it, but in person. They are about to get really busy with a couple litters on their hands, that and just their females seem to be going in heat one after the other. lol That and they tend to compete in a lot of things. So, I am trying to not bother them to much (they are more than happy to be bothered, I am just a shy person). Also, my puppy won't even be born till April. I just like preparing. I have done some research here and there. But as it gets closer I feel I need to do more!

Thank you guys so much!
rigga
Puppy
First Name: Martin
Dog #1: Casper
is a: White Mini Dog

Re: Opinion on Dog Feeding Plan

Post by rigga »

I wouldn't be afraid of going raw, we tried a high quality kibble (Gentle) for about 3 months, but had a couple of episodes of digestive issues, so moved to nature's instinct raw, comes frozen in ice cream sized tubs , defrost it and spoon out the required amount, super easy, no mess or fuss, and the change has been dramatic so far, much more settled toilet wise, coat so much more shiny and smooth, even the bown tear stain he used to have is diminishing, and he's finally putting weight on and growing...... wished we had took the advise earlier and moved to raw.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Theres a few areas that would concern me. I've had to do a lot of research into dog diet due to Barney suffering kidney damage at just over a year old and the vet recommending home cooked diet since he wouldn't eat the vet rubbish.

Salt its a bit worrying that salt substitutes are added and in some cases table salt as well. You shouldn't need to add any salt in fact they recommend adding it to add flavour, totally unnecessary. That is purely a human thing not dog.

Vegetable oil. It states dogs need oils which is true but doesn't say which vegetable oils. In fact for health benefits you need the omega oils which are contained in salmon, fish oils, coconut, flax seed, non of these are mentioned.

Protein seems to consist of a lot of eggs, sardines, beef, chicken which are fine but cottage cheese is a strange one since its made from cows milk and dogs cant digest it very well. There's no organ meat such as kidney, liver.

Bulk agent of potatoes, pasta and rice. I prefer sweet potato with lots of natural minerals but Barney has to have carbohydrate to make up calories due to lower protein. A normal adult dog shouldn't need a lot of carbohydrate.

Supplements. Its suggested pet vitamin and mineral supplements aren't good because they contain additives and fillers which can cause gastro trouble and recommend using a supplement intended for humans. That I find strange. Bone meal should only be added if extra phosphorus is needed in the diet, there should be enough in a normal balanced diet. Ground eggshell is by far a better option for providing calcium.

I expect dogs do well on the diet, stray dogs can survive on crusts of bread and scraps but theres a few inconsistencies in it for my liking.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

rigga wrote:I wouldn't be afraid of going raw, we tried a high quality kibble (Gentle) for about 3 months, but had a couple of episodes of digestive issues, so moved to nature's instinct raw, comes frozen in ice cream sized tubs , defrost it and spoon out the required amount, super easy, no mess or fuss, and the change has been dramatic so far, much more settled toilet wise, coat so much more shiny and smooth, even the bown tear stain he used to have is diminishing, and he's finally putting weight on and growing...... wished we had took the advise earlier and moved to raw.
I am afraid of bacteria.. and parasites and things. I also don't know if I could pay for shipping at some of the raw dog food places. I am not sure about the ones you can buy in the store. I don't know how or what they have in them or how long it has been there.

That is awesome that the raw diet has had a good effect on your pup. I am also worried about damage to teeth or bone splinters. And salmonella poisoning!
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Dawnspell wrote:Theres a few areas that would concern me. I've had to do a lot of research into dog diet due to Barney suffering kidney damage at just over a year old and the vet recommending home cooked diet since he wouldn't eat the vet rubbish.
Thank you for you through thoughts. I thought the salt was weird too. I figured since dogs don't have as many taste buds as humans, they don't need spices (and can't have them).

Is there anything wrong with cooking the meat and perhaps some of the food before giving it to your pup? And just giving antlers to your pup to help their teeth maintain a health and reduce tar?

I just want the safest and not overly produced diet. I don't trust kibble or like it.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Not all kibble is bad its a matter of finding out about the ingredients on the labels so you can sort out the fillet steak from the bargain basics burgers so to speak.

For example if the ingredients says its chicken then it has to be fresh chicken, if its says animal derivative then it can be anything from eyeballs, feathers, feet, skin from any animal, ( I think in US this can even be road kill but don't quote me on that)

Have a look at this website for more info. Recommended quality kibbles are AAtu, Origen, Acana, for easier to digest cold pressed foods are becoming popular, Gentle, Lukallus. There are high quality wet food option too.
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... ossary.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No theres nothing wrong with cooking the meat. Id be concerned with a puppy though about making sure it is getting a balanced diet for growth. With regards to raw complete food Natures menu do bags of nuggets about the size of large ice cubes. Barney never liked the mince slapped on a plate type raw. He doesn't like his beard dirty but he would eat the nuggets and not get anything on his beard.

Antlers wont really do much for preventing tar build up and not all dogs like them. The best option since you wouldn't want to give raw meaty bones would be plain old teeth brushing :D
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

Antlers can crack teeth, Anco roots are recommended but as Alison says not all dogs like them
http://www.ecodogcompany.com/index.php/ ... l?Itemid=0

I raw feed and use Gentle cold pressed for treats. http://www.gentledogfood.co.uk/gentle-d ... dients.php
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Dawnspell wrote:Not all kibble is bad its a matter of finding out about the ingredients on the labels so you can sort out the fillet steak from the bargain basics burgers so to speak.
Well, there was this one.. I forget what it was called. Natural something. But as soon as they make it, they ship it so it doesn't have preservatives and such. But I am still not sure. I just hear about so many recalls or some that have given puppies cancer or killed.
Dawnspell wrote:Have a look at this website for more info. Recommended quality kibbles are AAtu, Origen, Acana, for easier to digest cold pressed foods are becoming popular, Gentle, Lukallus. There are high quality wet food option too.
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... ossary.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are some of those only sold in the UK? And if you give cold press, does that mean your dog has nothing to work their teeth on?
Dawnspell wrote:No theres nothing wrong with cooking the meat. Id be concerned with a puppy though about making sure it is getting a balanced diet for growth. With regards to raw complete food Natures menu do bags of nuggets about the size of large ice cubes. Barney never liked the mince slapped on a plate type raw. He doesn't like his beard dirty but he would eat the nuggets and not get anything on his beard.
How do people who are feeding raw manage to make sure their puppies and dogs are getting a balanced diet? So, if you do do raw it is better to buy it already premade and packaged? And that is adorable about him not liking to get his beard dirty! <3 <3
Dawnspell wrote:Antlers wont really do much for preventing tar build up and not all dogs like them. The best option since you wouldn't want to give raw meaty bones would be plain old teeth brushing :D

I am definitely brushing puppy teeth. But I think it will be a process to get her accustom to fingers being in her mouth. Are there types of bones you can give your dog, or all bad? I was told cooked bones splinter.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

ZiiPAngelclaws wrote:Antlers can crack teeth, Anco roots are recommended but as Alison says not all dogs like them

I raw feed and use Gentle cold pressed for treats. http://www.gentledogfood.co.uk/gentle-d ... dients.php
What do you feed in general, if that is for treats. Hmm doesn't seem they sell in the US. lol And I think shipping would be a bit difficult.

I hear bones can also crack and break teeth. I can try the root. But are they harmful to puppies in anyway? And do you have to wash them or dispose or chop them down after a bit from bacteria build up?
zjg3
First Name: Zoe
Dog #1: Basil
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Dec 2013
Dog #2: Percy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 19 Oct 2015

Post by zjg3 »

Join a good facebook group for raw feeding info on how to feed a balanced raw diet, and suppliers in your area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/451782265003776/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is very good. The amount of help the members give is great, and they are worldwide!
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

zjg3 wrote:Join a good facebook group for raw feeding info on how to feed a balanced raw diet, and suppliers in your area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/451782265003776/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is very good. The amount of help the members give is great, and they are worldwide!
Thank you! I will definitely give them a look. I am still a bit worried I won't be able to meet all the nutritional needs of a puppy with this diet, but I am sure they will have advice. I think I need to do more research on the matter first.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Dawnspell wrote: Have a look at this website for more info. Recommended quality kibbles are AAtu, Origen, Acana, for easier to digest cold pressed foods are becoming popular, Gentle, Lukallus. There are high quality wet food option too.
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... ossary.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With my limited based knowledge I found I do like Orijen, and it seems like I can get it here in the USA. I am not sure about the others. I was curious though.. you said the cold press foods were becoming popular. Are they good for puppies in general though? I liked that it was one of the few dehydrated foods that didn't have salt from what I can see.

I was a bit concerned though. They say it has about 30% crude fat. Would that be bad for a Schnauzer? Seeing as most schnauzers have problems with fat.

What are your thoughts on this brand? I like that it is accessible, and has all the nutrients in there so I don't have to worry about figuring it out. And seems to be all ingredients that are real, not fillers. I think there is one preservative in there.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Sorry I hadn't realised you were in US :D Heres website for food available to you. I changed Barney onto Orijen puppy when he first came home and he did well on it.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what cold press is available in US the ones I've seen over here are bigger pieces than normal kibble so some they do have to chew on before swallowing. Where as most kibble just gets swallowed.

For raw you need to look for "raw complete" these have the required meat, offal, bone, sometimes fruit, veg and beneficial oils, as opposed to just buying ground meat or carcass.

You should never give any cooked bones those are the ones that splinter. You should also never give any weight baring bones eg leg, shin as these are really hard. Good bones are chicken, duck wings, carcass, necks, lamb ribs. Barney is not a chewer at all he wont eat any raw bones, I wish he would. The only things he chews on to help with teeth is calf hooves, pizzles, paddywack, dried tripe, dried fish skins, pinecones from the garden which he dismantles piece by piece over the carpet! Hes a strange boy :))
Our first family dog
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

AliceGrimm wrote:
ZiiPAngelclaws wrote:Antlers can crack teeth, Anco roots are recommended but as Alison says not all dogs like them

What do you feed in general, if that is for treats. Hmm doesn't seem they sell in the US. lol And I think shipping would be a bit difficult.

I hear bones can also crack and break teeth. I can try the root. But are they harmful to puppies in anyway? And do you have to wash them or dispose or chop them down after a bit from bacteria build up?
I feed Nutriment complete raw food plus chicken wings, lambs ribs etc. its weight baring bones that are too tough for dogs. With the roots (same for antlers if wanted) i pop in a bowl every couple of months and poor boiling water over. This is a simple clean and also rejuvenates and makes the dogs want them again ;)
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Dawnspell wrote:Sorry I hadn't realised you were in US :D Heres website for food available to you. I changed Barney onto Orijen puppy when he first came home and he did well on it.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what cold press is available in US the ones I've seen over here are bigger pieces than normal kibble so some they do have to chew on before swallowing. Where as most kibble just gets swallowed.

For raw you need to look for "raw complete" these have the required meat, offal, bone, sometimes fruit, veg and beneficial oils, as opposed to just buying ground meat or carcass.

You should never give any cooked bones those are the ones that splinter. You should also never give any weight baring bones eg leg, shin as these are really hard. Good bones are chicken, duck wings, carcass, necks, lamb ribs. Barney is not a chewer at all he wont eat any raw bones, I wish he would. The only things he chews on to help with teeth is calf hooves, pizzles, paddywack, dried tripe, dried fish skins, pinecones from the garden which he dismantles piece by piece over the carpet! Hes a strange boy :))
No worries. lol
I do like Orijen Puppy. And it is available. I can even get the freeze dry ones, but they are costly. 16 oz for 30 USA dollars. Which is a shame because I really like that as an option. I have been thinking about cooking like I said, but nutrition is what I worry about.

https://www.rawfeedingmiami.com/collect ... y-specials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://hare-today.com/category" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These two have been recommended. But I am not sure they sell the "Complete" like you said. There are bulk packs but I believe I would have to distribute it out and portion each meal. I can also just go shopping, but the USA doesn't treat our meat very well either. lol

I was also curious.. if you feed raw.. how do you clean the beards so the pup doesn't go rubbing it on the floor and furniture to clean the beard herself? (I am getting a female) lol

Can bacteria and such products be left on toys after eating? Should I brush her teeth afterward?