Potty training

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Splouis17
First Name: Sam

Potty training

Post by Splouis17 »

Hi all!! I've read quite a few posts, but wanted to write what I've experienced specifically.

I have a gorgeous 8 week old mini who we've had for about 3 days, to say I'm smitten is a bit of an understatement..

Anyway, we put her outside frequently, after playing/eating sleeping and probably after every 40 mins or so. Sometimes she toilets, sometimes she doesn't. We've kind of clocked now when she darts off to toilet indoors, where we quickly put her outside (sometimes too late). We make sure to give her a treat immediately after doing her business outside.

I however keep finding myself in the same situation. I'll take her outside for say 20 mins, presuming she doesn't need to go as nothing happens. I'll then take her back inside and sometimes immediately, sometimes slightly after, she'll toilet inside.

Any advice on why this happens, or anything I'm doing wrong?

Thank you soooo much in advance. I love this site

Sam

Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Re: Potty training

Post by Amanda21 »

Hi Sam,

I must say she is absolutely adorable, no wonder you're smitten. What's her name?

I'm going to be in the same boat as you from tomorrow, as I get to collect my little lad.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all, as you're both still learning, so there's going to be a few mishaps along the way. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon, but I'm sure there will be plenty of good advice coming from the experts here!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Shes a cutie :x
I would suggest that when you go outside dont be out there for so long to help her understand this is for a purpose not playtime. Take her to the same spot, carrying her from the house is even better, keep her on a lead so she cant go wondering off, keep interaction to a minimum and keep it to 10 min tops. If she hasnt been take her inside and either keep a really close eye on her or pop her in crate and go out again in 10 mins and do the same. When she does go thats when to interact and reward. As shes going you could also add a cue word so, I use "pee pee", so that you can ask them to go if youre going out or something and need them to go quick. Just make sure its a word youll only use for her :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Post by Sandie1 »

Hello Sam,
My pup is now 21 weeks but it only seems a short time since we were exactly where you are now. We made things a bit simpler by "moving in" to the kitchen for quite a few weeks so that we didn't have "accidents" to clean off the carpets. We also had a playpen set up in a corner of the garden/patio. We carried her out there frequently and popped her in the pen so she couldn't wander around and she usually wee'd quite quickly. In time she walked out there herself and we moved back into our lounge from the kitchen! You will get there, it just takes time.
Splouis17
First Name: Sam

Post by Splouis17 »

Thanks so much guys it means such a lot 😭
She's definitely getting the hang of it!! Felt like i was making no progress then all of a sudden things seemed to click. There's also a lot less crying in her crate!!
Her name Nelly and she is my child and all I think about 😂 Now I have the joys of a crazy non sleeping puppy whose only joy is to maul my hands with her needle teeth.