Lost my Rufus suddenly

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Stripybadger
First Name: Steven

Lost my Rufus suddenly

Post by Stripybadger »

Hi everyone, I bought Rufus from a registered breeder on the 07th October 23. He was two and a half years old. I listed him with my local vet and he was given his annual vaccinations. I mentioned that when he did a poo, the first was always normal, but from then on, on a walk they became increasingly looser and at times a mustardy colour. The vet gave me Panacur and I had previously wormed him with a different wormer.
He seemed a happy fellow and we went on some lovely long walks together and we went to most places together, rarely left alone because he suffered from separation anxiety and I didn’t like to leave him.
On the 20th December, I took him for his usual afternoon walk. I noticed he was eating a lot of grass. When we got home, he vomited it up. As the evening went on, he continued to be sick and started having diarrhoea as well. I was in a quandary at this point, but then he started pooing a red tacky substance.
I rushed him to the emergency vet at 02.30am and the vet said he had gastroenteritis and would keep him in. I rang the next morning and they said he was comfortable, I could hear him barking in the background.
I rang the following morning and again they said he was fine. Then at 03.00am I got a call to say he’d taken a turn for the worse, gone into cardiac arrest and died.
I was devastated, I’d only had him for three months. We were still bonding. In those three months, he filled my life with so much happiness. Now it just feels empty again. I keep thinking that he’s still here with me.
If your Schnauzer is showing any signs of illness, please don’t hesitate to get him to the vet. I’d hate for anyone to experience this loss. He was supposed to be with me, my companion for a long time, not gone so quick.

Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Lost my Rufus suddenly

Post by Dinkum »

I am so sorry to hear your news. They manage to leave pawprints on our hearts so quickly. He looks like a lovely boy. Wishing you every kindness.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry for your loss. It is hard when a dog passes suddenly and so young 💔
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Oh my God, what a terribly sad story, I am so sorry for your loss - what a beautiful chap he looked. And what a massive shock this must have been.

Sending you hugs.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Oh, Steven I am so sorry to read of your loss, I feel for you as its heart breaking, one expects to have them in our life for a long time, your boy was certainly taken much too soon. Have you told the Breeder? No matter how long we have them in our life, losing them is devastating. Not sure if your lovely boy was your first Schnauzer but do hope that you will consider having another as they are super wee dogs. I can understand exactly how you are feeling as it hurts so so much when they leave us as I know how I felt when I lost my precious girl, she went for surgery & never made it home, we had been assured we were doing the right thing, but it wasn't to be. I never got to say goodbye which will live with me forever, but I now have a super wee boy who came to me very soon, yes, I felt so guilty, but it was the best thing that I did as it helped to ease the pain & made me go out again. Feel your pain but do try & have another.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Post by HugoBrum »

We are so sorry to read this heartbreak for you, so sad indeed about Rufus. Life can be cruel at times and this is one of those occasions. We sincerely hope the time you had with Rufus left you with some good happy memories. Take your time about the future, do what you think is right and may be one day you feel to go again. Our wishes and thoughts are with you.
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis