Dry Pads

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Dry Pads

Post by Champ629 »

I have noticed that Jake has very dry and rough pads is this normal or do I need to put anything on them i.e. vaseline type stuff?
paula

Post by paula »

Does he like Max do a lot of hard ground walking. I sometimes rub a little natural handcream on Max pads not to much as he would be slipping all over my floors.
Schnauzers forever
Champ629

Post by Champ629 »

We don't do loads of hard ground walking really, Jake mainly walks on the grass and does a bit of pavement walking to and from the park.
snazy

Post by snazy »

Has he been walking where the roads/pavements have been salted?
Champ629

Post by Champ629 »

snazy wrote:Has he been walking where the roads/pavements have been salted?
Possibly a little bit, a couple of the pads look very dry.
snazy

Post by snazy »

It could be the salt drying out the pads, if you have to walk him over such areas make sure he gets his feet washed when he gets home.

You could try putting a bit of handcream or vaseline on his paws if you can stop him licking it straight off again!
Champ629

Post by Champ629 »

Thanks for your advice :)