average life span of a mini schnauzer?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Re: average life span of a mini schnauzer?

Post by Cam2 »

My first two schnauzers died at 11yrs old
One had liver problems and the other we had coped with her diabetes for 2yrs before we sadly lost her.
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
pcabe5
First Name: Patrick

Post by pcabe5 »

My girl will be 13 in September. Aside from skin bumps and an emergency spay she is active, slower but still active.
PhilGBrittain
First Name: Phillip

Post by PhilGBrittain »

I've seen different lifespan approximations. They range anywhere from 10 to 17 years. Our Miniature Schnauzer is still quite energetic at 15 years and 4 months of age. When we brought him from the breeder at eight weeks old he immediately established himself as the family dog by laying down in front of the living room couch when we sat down on it.

He wasn't interested in exploring his new territory. He had bonded with his family, most notably our three year old daughter. It seemed as if he knew we got him for her.

As for health issues, he used to have seizures when facing a great deal of stress. He has yet to have one since moving to a peaceful home. The loudest noise that can usually be heard around here are insects and the water flowing over the rocks in the creek that divides our front yard.

He also has a heart murmur that seems to have stabilized since moving as well.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Phil Brittain...I have to comment on your post as it moved me..you sound like you have an " old soul"...,one is indeed fortunate if one encounters such a dog in ones lifetime of dogs...the old soul arrives as a pup and slots in as if he's seen it all before,and probably has.he takes it all in his stride,and knows when he is truely home.
My Robin is ,I'm convinced ,an old soul..she has taken the place of my last , rock steady ,St poodle girl and gives leadership and security to her huge St poodle older brother.
What a treasure such dogs are..do you have pics of your boy,he sounds such a trooper at his great old age,I'd love to see him.